how to avoid becoming depressed with a chronic illness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by xchrispx, Aug 8, 2009.

1. xchrispx

xchrispx New Member

please post skills or things you use to not let the pain of cfs or fm make you become depressed. thank you christian :)
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I think you might try some of the things that people w/ depression do to
    combat depression. See which ones seem to help.

For example, therapy, books like "Feeling Good" by David Burns, 12 step
    group like Emotions Anonymous, vitamins D3 and the B12 patch, visiting
    the Depression Board, etc.

Good luck

Rock
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

The first thing I do is eat as well as possible. I eat lean protein with almost every meal and very little sugar.

For me exercise is essential but it often causes a worsening of symptoms for days. I bike when I can though and it really helps clear my head plus I feel stronger.

I set my life up around my illness so that I can avoid as much stress as possible. Eliminating negative, abusive people has helped a lot as well.

I let myself sleep whenever I can because I've noticed I get much more depressed and irritable when I'm tired.

I feel happiest when I feel better so I do whatever I can to make that happen. I have different things I use for pain and flu-like symptoms.

The Chat Rooms here help a lot as does this Message Board.

I tell myself to stay positive as much as possible and I continually count my blessings.

Breathing/meditation helps me. There are good videos on YouTube for that.

I let go and Let God as much as I can. I keep in mind that "this too shall pass".

I set small achievable goals which right now usually involve studying something, like languages or science.

Buddhist thinking helps me as well. I get a lot out of books by the Vietnamese Monk, Thich Nhat Hanh and his talks online put me to sleep, which goes back to my point above. :)

I know it's hard, it's a daily struggle. Every day is about overcoming suffering. Keep looking for the silver lining.

tee

4. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

in life. I make myself take a short walk, smell the flowers, enjoy the sunshine.

When i feel down in the dumps, i try my best to pull out before the major feeling hits.

By no means is this easy. Take small steps to find what can lift you even if its a little bit.
    Every little bit counts, even the small things in life.

Wish you well
    Butterflydream
  5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

to remember that I am not alone.

There are many people who are suffering from many illnesses. I know some of them. So, when I'm feeling the depression closing in on me, I remind myself that I'm not the only person who is sick.

I try hard to care for others and not focus so much on myself, hard as that can be at times. I do what I can for others.

Hugs,
    Fay
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My depression worsened during my fight with the insurance company to get benefits. Thank heavens for good family support who know when to coddle you and when to give you a bit of a kick.

My sister gave me the kick I needed to keep fighting and change my attitude. We have to believe that things will get better someday. Until then, I enjoy my garden, love nature, watch the birds, swim for excercise and use this board and chat room for the times when I'm down or have something to share.

Chronic pain makes you feel very alone. This board, and others like it, keep us in touch with those who share our pain. We are not alone.

Its very very important to know our limitations and try not to stretch too far beyond them. As you know, that makes things so much worse and it takes time to come back from excesses of stress.

I hope some of this helps. I'm with you....

Eileen