How To Blow Your Nose

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

On the surface, this may sound rediculous but it was on "The Doctors," and I thought I'd pass it along. Sooooo many of us suffer chronic sinusitis and I'm hoping this may help.

They suggest that one never blow out of both nostrils at the same time. Hold one shut and blow one side at a time. Never ever try to blow one, or both, nostrils when applying any pressure on the nostril(s). Be sure the nostril you are blowing is open. Also, never hold the nostrils shut when you sneeze. The danger is that the pressure can force mucus up or down into the sinus cavities.

This wasn't on "The Doctors," but it was in a book written by the head of ENT at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. The dryness in CO causes sinusitis, asthma and even allows Strep throat to thrive. Add the polution in Denver's thin air and you have the perfect conditions for chronic sinusitis. The doc said that irrigating the sinuses with saline solution is the best, most important way to avoid sinus infections. There are saline sprays on the market but avoid the ones which use preservatives in them. You can make your own with purified water and sea salt. It can be sniffed off of a spoon. As you sniff, with either method, tilt the head slightly forward to ensure the solution enters the sinuses. The solution will loosen the mucus and you can blow your nose after sniffing. Some people have used colloidal silver to irrigate the sinuses as well. Sinus infections aren't always bacterial; they can be fungal. The silver kills viruses, bacteria and fungi.

Hope this helps anyone who suffers. Even here in humid SW FL, I have sinus problems from the dry air conditioned air. This time of year, we spend most of our time indoors. Also, this time of year, mold spore counts are high.

Love, Mikie
  2. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

Using a canned aerosol saline spray regularly has helped my sinus problems. It's easier to use than mixing my own and stays sterile.

Thanks, Mikie!
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Now it's how to blow my nose! (no really, it is good information - thanks, Mikie!)

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This is related.

I always taught my kids and students that if they have to sneeze, sneeze into where your arm bends at the elbow since viruses are passed so easily by hands.

However, if you are not wearing clothes that cover your arms, do not attempt this!!

5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Helpful reminders!

And I am reminded to buy some saline spray to have on hand for upcoming colds season.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You guys are great! Thanks for the interest and responses and thanks for the laughs.

Love, Mikie
  7. JimB51

JimB51 Member

I usually sneeze in my shoe.
    My foot doesn't mind and no one gets infected.

( no, no, no ... I'm just kidding)

sorry 'bout that. Jim : )
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for that visual :) You are quite the inspired "sole" and never a "heel." You "pump" us up when we fall "flat." You may get tired but you could never be considered a "loafer."

I know one of our other punsters will pick up on this and carry on.

Love, Mikie
  9. JimB51

JimB51 Member

... automatically gives you "platforms" to speak from .

(just don't do any "flip flops" reguarding policies) : )
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Actually, I'm a "retired" moderator. God bless the active mods and admins for their work. It's a thankless job in many ways but it can have its rewards.

May the angels brush you with their "wingtips."

Love, Mikie