how to boil an egg

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by soozan48, Aug 31, 2007.

1. soozan48

soozan48 New Member

after 40 some years of cooking one would think I could remember how to boil an egg but due to brain fog I was not sure how long to cook them. So I googled BOIL AN EGG and took a shot at the first one I came upon. This is the best boiled egg I have ever eaten! You cover your eggs with water (just enough to cover) and add 2 tablespoons of white VINEGAR (I thought ... YUCK) but took a chance. You bring them to boil on high heat and simmer (uncovered) for 3 minutes and remove from heat and immediately cover with a tight fitting lid for 8 minutes. Then you rinse in cold water. The instructions said it aided with peeling but I did not see a huge improvement in that area but the eggs were done so perfectly, no green/gray moon effect around the yoke and they were actually moist (not dryed out like mine usually are). I guess my brain fog paid off for a change! Just thought I would pass along these directions for those of you planning on making deviled eggs for Labor Day festivities :)
  2. dollinitup

dollinitup New Member

i always bring mine to a good boil and then turn it off and cover tightly and leave 10 - 15 minutes, but i never heard of the vinegar thing. i shall try that.