How to check a doctor???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by namow, Nov 18, 2002.

1. namow

namow New Member

Good morning!!!!
    I was wondering if there is a way to check about a doctor before you go to see them...any advice?? I'm going to see a new one and I want to make sure someone has some information about him.
    Thank you
    namow
  2. namow

namow New Member

Good morning!!!!
    I was wondering if there is a way to check about a doctor before you go to see them...any advice?? I'm going to see a new one and I want to make sure someone has some information about him.
    Thank you
    namow
  3. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

What do you want to check for?
    If you want to see if your doctor is an accredited doctor then do a search (at google, etc.) for "certified doctors".
    Try the following for the American board of Medical Specialties. You can see if your doctor is listed with them.
    http://www.abms.org

If you are looking to check out a doctor for CFS/FM then type "CFS/FMS doctor locator" into a search engine. You should be able to find some sites with questions to ask your doctor to see how much they know about CFS/FM and if they are listed as a good doctor. Try www.co-cure.org

If you want to know if anyone here has been to see the doctor and can give you their personal experience then create a new post, give the name of the doctor and ask if anyone has been to see him. Can't say you'll get any replies, but you can try it and see.
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

always suggests calling and asking if this doctor treats FM/CFS patients, and how many of those types of patients they see. I think this is good advice!! If the receptionist or nurse on the other end of the phone stammers, or if you get dead silence or a negative response, this may not be someone you want to see...

Another suggestion...do you have a local FM or CFS support group (even if you aren't a member)? If so, make a phone call or two & see if anyone there uses this new doctor's services & how they feel about him/her. I just saw a new doctor this am who's wonderful---he's not on any "good doctor" list I've ever seen, but I found out about him through my local support group.

Good luck!
    Pam