How to check for mold?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrew111, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. Andrew111

    Andrew111 Member

    Is there a test I can run on my body to see if it's being exposed to mold?

    The reason I ask is I was told that mold releases toxins, and the toxins are what hurt us. And unless the mold itself is floating in the air, the test will be negative, even though the toxins are there.

    Also, any other advice on this will be appreciated.
  2. panthere

    panthere Member

    You could have mold in your apartment/house, such as in your bathroom or your basement. I had a specialist come and check the air for mold. They take bunch of measurements in different places of where you live and send it off to the lab. If they find that you have it, they can do some remediation (using chemicals most likely) and then will recheck if it's gone.

    I also believe you can do a blood test to see is you are allergic to mold...
  3. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

    Hi Andrew,

    Yes, you can do the group of tests that are listed on this web page:

    I did them, and I found them very helpful. I found out I was being poisoned by mold toxins.

    The deal is, there are certain species of mold that release toxins under certain conditions. Having water damage in a building is a prime set of conditions for the bad mold species to release toxins.

    The mold toxins themselves are incredibly tiny. So far there isn't a test (that I know of) that can measure the amount of the toxins themselves in a person's body.

    A pioneering doctor, named Ritchie Shoemaker, figured out a way to tell if a person is being affected by mold toxins by looking at the results of a group of blood tests. They measure specific things that go wrong when mold poisoning happens.

    The toxins cause a whole cascade of effects that affect many systems of the body. It's incredible the damage that the toxins can do.

    Before you even do the blood tests, you can take a vision test that will tell you if you are being affected by any kind of biological neurotoxin. If you test positive for neurotoxins on that test (the BIRS) then you can go on and get all the blood tests.

    The BIRS test is on as well. It's pretty cheap.

    You need the help of a doctor to do these blood tests, of course. There aren't a whole lot of doctors in the country that know about mold poisoning. But sometimes your doctor doesn't need to know. I just went in and asked my doctor if I could have these tests, and she agreed to let me do them.

    I had read the whole site, and I had read Dr. Shoemaker's book, "Mold Warriors", so working together with my doctor we were able to figure out that my blood tests showed the signs of mold poisoning. My case was so clear cut that I didn't have to go see a neurotoxin poisoning specialist.

    I hope that helps!

  4. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

    Beware of doctors who want to test you for mold allergies.

    Mold allergies are a real problem for some people, but they are not the same thing as mold toxin poisoning. Getting a blood test for mold allergies won't tell you if you have mold poisoning.

    People with CFS have the same rate of mold allergies as the general population. So we might or might not have them. But it has nothing to do with whether we are being poisoned.

    I don't happen to have mold allergies myself. But I guess if you did, and you were living somewhere with toxic mold, you could be both poisoned and sneezing. Life is not fair sometimes!

  5. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

  6. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

  7. TruthAboutMold

    TruthAboutMold New Member

    There is only one lab that can test your body for mold and mycotoxins. It is RealTime Labs in Dallas, Texas, operated by Dr. Hooper. He can test your urine or saliva. Your doctor needs to order the test and you need a test kit from RealTime Labs. Here's the link for the lab:

    For additional information about the health effects of mold, go to
  8. donna13210

    donna13210 Member

    If you have not yet determined if there is mold in your home or work environment, there are test kits available at most home improvement stores. If you can see any mold, there is a kit that can determine the type of mold, so you can go on to determine how dangerous it is. There is another type of kit that measures the amount of mold spores (or maybe mold toxins?) that are in the air. The bathroom and/or basement are most likely the best places to test. Or, of course, any other rooms you suspect may have mold (under wallpaper, etc).

    Donna M.

[ advertisement ]