How to choose Supplements?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by browneyes259, Oct 10, 2005.

1. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

I have been comparison shopping for cheaper prices on the supplements perscribed by my FFC doctor. Can anyone give me some idea of how to compare one supplement to another.

Sometimes the dose is different, sometimes the strength is different. How do you know which supplements are good quality and which aren't? I don't want to save $$ buying these supplements and end up getting an inferior product.

I am more concerned with getting well.....trying to save $$ but not at the risk of my "recovery".

Thanks all!
    Jen
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

It's scary because some vitamin companies buy bulk quantity and package them in their shop under their label. There are some I definitely trust and some that I don't. I do trust the products sold on the store here at immunesupport (see top tab). They are quality products. Other than the store here, I would hesitate to recommend another site.

I do buy Rainbow and Schiff products as I trust those. Both of those seem pretty reasonable in prices. In addition, you usually can buy Rainbow and Schiff online through drugstore dot com.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  3. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Dear browneyes 259: buy supplements can be really difficult. I used to focus on price. However, now I tend to buy the brands that I have been told, by reliable independent people, are the purest. My naturopath is a good source of information, especially as he is not tied to one brand. I try not to look at the price because it can stress me....; I believe that for me, at least, the best quality is worth it. However, I know someone with CFS who buys horse vitamins in bulk - for a small fraction of the cost I pay!!! However, I am not prepared to risk it.
  4. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

Thanks for all of the great input. I definitely agree that quality is #1 priority. What good do you get from savings a few bucks if the supplement is of inferior quality.

I will definitely check out the brands/websites ya'll suggested. Appreciate you taking the time.

Not sure about the horse supp thing either....lol....I think your friend is much braver than us :)!

My first FFC visit these are the supps my doc recommended:

MaxGreen Multi (multivitamins w/ extra minerals)
    NT Factor (food 4 mitochondria)
    OrthOmega (4 essential fatty acids)
    JarroDophilus (helps w/ IBS symptoms by providing "good" bacteria)
    Energy Extract (quick extra energy)

Those are the supplements I started out with. He also mentioned trying:

Myomalate (reduces acid accumulation in muscles which causes our achiness)

Melatonin (natural sleep hormone & anti-oxidant)

I may try these later as we reevaluate when my blood work comes back.

Thanks again all! It's so nice to be able to come to a site with such kind, helpful people.

Hugs,
    Jen