How to cope with the pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by autoharp15, Jun 6, 2008.

1. autoharp15

autoharp15 New Member

Hi I am new to this group. I have been searching for a support group for Fibro on line since there is none in my area. I am having a really rotten Fibro week with increased pain and bone tiredness. I am a nurse and frankly I just dont have time to be ill. I am taking a large amount motrin to just lessen the pain enough to keep going. Has anyone out there tried Lyrica ? Does it work? How about side effects?
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

There are a lot of people here for support - lots of great info and empathy.
    Many people have tried Lyrica - some with great results, some it didn't work for.
    I couldn't take it - am currently on Topamax, pain medication and muscle relaxants.

I know what you mean about not having time to be ill. I think we can all relate. We're all pretty much sick of it to be perfectly honest!
    You might use the search function and type in Lyrica if you want specific info on that- there are have been tons of posts on it.

Anyway- glad you found this site! Hope you'll post more - share your knowledge and experience as well as ask questions.
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I use malic acid 1200mg and magnesium 400-600mg for my fibro pain. I take Tramadol for my back issues.

I am not sure that Lyrica and Cymbalta are the best meds to take, there are others. They do seem to work but the side effects are really high.

For sleep, I use 5HTP 50mg, melatonin (300mcg), Valerian root 100mg.

I have heard great things about GABA in proving refreshing sleep. I am taking it but not sure yet. (the person who relayed this was taking GABA Calm and I am taking GABA).

Most folks cannot tolerate pharmaceuticals due to many issues - so lower doses are best.
  4. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I keep both Umtram and Percocet, depending on how bad I on a particular day.

You will find with this illness that you have to learn to pace yourself of eventually you are going to make yourself worse. None of us had time for it, but it will force you to take time.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2008]
  5. autoharp15

autoharp15 New Member

I had not thought of Topamax before. I knew it was prescribed for migrains.Of course alot of medications are used for alot of different diseases. I tried cymbalta it helped the pain but it gave me terrible headaches everyday that I took it. I gave up on it and went back to motrin. It doesn't help alot but it makes the pain bareable but if I take to much of it I end up with my stomach tore up. The side effects of almost eveything are sometimes worst than the original disease. I do take alot of vitamins but not the ones that were mentioned. I think they help me with the fatigue more than anything else. I have to admitt the pain for the past 2 weeks has been pretty bad. I am a charge nurse at a longterm care facility. That can be very stressfull at times. I work 5 days a week 8 hour shifts and then I am on call several times during the month. I have been having a pretty bad fibro week this week and have been very flustrated and depressed because of the physical pain I am in. If it weren't for the fact that I am hard headed and stubborn ( or at least thats what my spouse says)haha I think I would have just given up and crawled in a corner some where and died. Thank you all for your input and support.