How to deal with new syptoms??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charls, Aug 26, 2002.

1. charls

charls New Member

Hello out there. Great to find a place which caters (and understands) Fibromyalgia. At least I can reasure myself that Im not going mad.

I have recently been diagnosed and feel like Im living from day to day. After reading some of the debilitating pain that some people are going through I realise that my problems are only minor. But it seems that every day brings on a new symptom of some sort. Recently such worrying things as numbness (well it feels cold almost) in my face which moved from my lip to my nose (maybe also my tongue)and up to my forehead over a period of days and now it seems to have vanished.

I feel that I cant go and see the doctor over these things anymore. As it seems so frequent. Plus I have reached the stage where I cant distinguish between 'serious' symptoms and just the run of the mill stuff. He says the anti depressents should stabalise me and to a certain degree they have. But it doesnt stop me getting scared every time I get something new going on.

Great place, think I will be spening a lot more time here. Loads of great info :)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2002]
  2. charls

charls New Member

Hello out there. Great to find a place which caters (and understands) Fibromyalgia. At least I can reasure myself that Im not going mad.

I have recently been diagnosed and feel like Im living from day to day. After reading some of the debilitating pain that some people are going through I realise that my problems are only minor. But it seems that every day brings on a new symptom of some sort. Recently such worrying things as numbness (well it feels cold almost) in my face which moved from my lip to my nose (maybe also my tongue)and up to my forehead over a period of days and now it seems to have vanished.

I feel that I cant go and see the doctor over these things anymore. As it seems so frequent. Plus I have reached the stage where I cant distinguish between 'serious' symptoms and just the run of the mill stuff. He says the anti depressents should stabalise me and to a certain degree they have. But it doesnt stop me getting scared every time I get something new going on.

Great place, think I will be spening a lot more time here. Loads of great info :)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2002]
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Charls, welcome to our world, glad you found our board.

Yes, you are right, if we went to the doctor everytime we got a new symptom, we would have to set up housekeeping in their offices.

I used to get some numbness in my face and head, but I have not had the problem for awhile now.

I don't take meds, mostly supplements, and a low dose Xanax at 6pm to slow my 'racing brain' down so that I can sleep.

I think the magnesium I take has stopped that numbness. Most of us that have FM/CFS are deficient in this mineral in a bad way.

Again, welcome to the board, and will be looking forward to knowing you better.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Cheka

Cheka New Member

Wanted to welcome you to the board! You will find as time goes on that these DD's ARE a day by day thing... each day can bring more pain, less pain, more symptoms, less symptoms, more anxiety, less anxiety etc. This is a GREAT place to come and "compare", ask questions or do research. There is a wonderful library and updated information. I know what you mean about getting scared with new symptoms... but sometimes you will have to have them checked out just to make sure they aren't caused by something else. I just recently went back to my doc for my "yearly check-up" and 2 or 3 days before I went my feet swelled up like balloons... no pain, just felt like my skin was going to explode. I'm now waiting for the test results for that. If I had not already had a doc appt. I would have made one specifically for that. If you are ever in doubt you can always post your symptom/symptoms here and ask for other's "advice" and make your decision from there. Sorry this ended up so long, but I just love this site and tend to get carried away with tootin' it's horn!
    Welcome!!
    Debbie
  5. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Word must be getting around the UK abt this site, you'll find lots of members from there. I'm sure they'll be on soon to welcome you as well.

Got some great advice already. I'll just copy the Arthritissupport.com's tip of the day for you (it's from the same sponser (ProHealth) as this. Best wishes. Michele

Tip of the Day for August 26, 2002

For a productive and helpful visit with your doctor, write down all of your questions and concerns for the doctor or nurse before an appointment. Take notes during your visit and if possible, bring along a family member or friend for support. An additional tip is to keep a pain diary. Write about your level of pain at different times, how you're feeling, and what activities you can and can not do. Keep a record of medications you're taking or any non-drug treatments, and bring the diary to your doctor visits.
    (Source: American Pain Foundation)

Published by Pro Health, Inc., ArthritisSupport.com is the Internet’s premier website for rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Featuring the latest news, treatment information, and community resources, our mission at ArthritisSupport.com is to empower you to take control of your health by becoming your complete source for health-related information and comprehensive treatment solutions.

6. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I'm liz from the US and know what you mean about this site! I'm still grateful to have found people like me cause I've had this disease all my life... even as a child and the symptoms are all so strange!!! I've made this my rule of thumb... if I have a fever over 99.6, I go to the doctor. I know my baseline temp... you can measure it over a period of several weeks first thing in the morning,,,, I call if I have new and concerning stuff... that is something I've never had before... or something that hurts too bad to tolerate. I go about every 3 to 4 months to just check in too. If symptoms last several days and are new I'd go. What we don't know is when something may come up to help us.. I try to urge my doctor to think this way. Used to be we didn't rehab people with injuries and strokes... then we found out we could. I think this disease will be kinda like that... soooo in that light it's imperative that everything* get documented, you know. The healthcare world wants us all to go away cause they don't have a clue as how to manage us LOL>>>>> I personally shy away from medical care but insist on documentation. I'm going natural and using supplements and exercise and massage and chiro treatments. This is the first time in my life I've been feeling better too.... just something to think about~ Good luck!
  7. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

If you read my post about my knee you'll see what I put off for months thi9nking it was fms and osteo-and I have torn ligaments I am running around on.

Numbness and tingling if one sided should be looked into. What antidepressant are you on? Some of them give wierd side effects.

hang in there and educate yourself on this disease as much as you can-that will help you figure out what is fibro and what is not-the line is never clear-I have had it for years and still I restle with it.

good luck and feel better

cathy
  8. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Welcome Charles!
    I am new here too and new to fibro. I feel not only do I have a chronic illness but that I am a chronic complainer also. But you see, that is the difference between us and the ones that are not really sick, we don't want to complain.
    We will make it Charles! All of us are here for you!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  9. G

G New Member

and welcome Charls. It is an great place to learn and ask questions when we need answer to any. I too like it here and joined recently myself.

I, have also had numbness and tingling and worried myself but find that it comes and goes. I don't worry anymore although I do mention it to my doctor. He always check my blood pressure and usually finds me okay. I tend to go up & down with my blood pressure along with low grade temps.

G