How to deal with Vocational Rehabilitation, etc.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunscaper, Mar 14, 2009.

1. sunscaper

sunscaper New Member

when they do not have any knowledge of CFS/ME, etc? and probably think that it is a Psychological problem?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have not dealt with them before, but as far as I know, as long as they believe that you have certain limitations, they will see if there is a way to make accommodations for them in the workplace. I don't think it matters that much why (physical or emotional reasons) those limitations exist, but I could be wrong.

I would bring as good of a description as possible of what your symptoms are and how they affect you (esp concerning possible work limitations), another description of what a "good" day is like for you and one of what a bad day is like. I would also try to bring some research that explains post exertional malaise, and how our messed up mitochondria literally make certain things impossible, like a lengthy work day or back to back days, etc. Any other research that pertains to the symptoms that you find particularly troublesome would be helpful, too.
  3. sunscaper

sunscaper New Member

I had to go to the emergency room, the other day, due to Partial Lung Collapse, and because I do not have insurance (can't get it due to CFS/ME), I had to talk to a Social Worker...then out of the blue, I am contacted by a Voc. Rehab. person. I was too ill talk to her, at the time, so I told her I would call brain and body was still trying to get over the emergency room visit, that took all day.

Well, your advice helps a great deal...Thanks!
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I'm not sure why they would contact you. I would definitely ask that when you call back. When I wrote before I was thinking that you had an appt to see them either to try to find out ways to work, or to prove that you cannot work. It is odd that they would call out of the blue. Going back to your original question, a partial lung collapse would certainly seem to be proof of a real, physical condition....but I am sorry to hear that you had that happen. I hope you are feeling at least a little better.
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

My experience with Voc Rehab was that they were VERY familiar with CFS/ME/Fibro. In fact, the head of the one in my area told me flat out that I'm way too sick to work anywhere. And my counselor there told me that they have tried many, many times and wasted tons of money trying to get people like us to work and we never can. She said we flare up and can't do the training or the hours or anything. They knew all about it.
  6. sunscaper

sunscaper New Member

I don't really know, but wonder if it has to do with me qualifying for help with the hospital bill, but I have never dealt with VR...and I don't have a good doc for CFS/ME..and they want me to, immediately, see one of their physicians..???

That is good that you have had good experiences with your VR, TeaBisquit...are you in California, or where? Have the Disability people been OK? I need to pursue that, next..I have waited much too long to pursue Disability, but it needs to be a priority, now..and I am afraid it will take much longer with the economy problems..have you heard anything about that?

7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

contacts of people in the community who can help. I'm sure the social worker was thinking in terms of what resources could help you.