How to educate your doctors/clinics the World!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jackie F, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

Thi is a subjec that come up several times per year. We all strive to have our illnesses recognized and ourselves validated.
    Many think first of the 'Stars', 'Media' and I did and we all do. Some has been done--but history has shown it has NOT been favorable. So what do we do?

Here are some tips that I do and I know others will share what they do as well.

Education starts with us--if we speak out--be informed. The pts have been accused of spouting different info--thus they willingly accept that it IS a junk or garbage can of DX's. So, when you do speak up for us--be sure you are informed and not hurting the cause.

Start with those things that are out there and are being accepted well by the general public and researchers.

I asked this site to print up for us a pamphlet that would help us, as pts understand a little better but also function as a tool for educating the docs, family and friends. Thus we have: The FREE Patient's Guide. This can be ordered by clicking on the first post and placing your order. Order a few extra for handing out.
    It is well written and has some quotes by well known researchers who have the resect of the majority of doctors.

Take some to the hospitals in your area. ASk to place them in the waiting area as well for others.

Also this site has a wealth of articles in the library here to educate you & the world.
    A tip for searching: If you have a favorite researcher--put their name in the search portion on the library. I wouldn't bring up Garth N> the other day but did bring him up when I input; mycoplasms

I have done numerous presntation to large groups of docs; I have found they tend to be more receptive to docs in their own state or perhaps where they went to school. Some might question if it is worth it?

I have never been disappointed with my work to educate. But I do go about it very routinely and methodically.

I mail or deliver by hand, very year; new research to all that I have been dealing with for many years now. My results have been quite obvious for me. I get calls nearly eevery year thanking me for updates and they DO ask me to bring in more pamphlets as well. Even some who were reluctant in the beginning.

Every Year, I try to bring in at least one or two new sources for educating and add them to my list.

BTW I have always included ALL State reps, Govenors, Mayors, Senators, every President since officially DX'd, every news media in my local area and Churches, clinics and I do hand them out everywhere I go.

I have met several Law enforcement personnel--I send to them--they are prone to this due to stress.
    I have family-in-laws that have it too--and work for their cities--I mail to their cities too.
    I mail to Senior centers as well.

If we don't who will?
    What do you do to help our cause?

Jackie F
  2. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

Thi is a subjec that come up several times per year. We all strive to have our illnesses recognized and ourselves validated.
    Many think first of the 'Stars', 'Media' and I did and we all do. Some has been done--but history has shown it has NOT been favorable. So what do we do?

Here are some tips that I do and I know others will share what they do as well.

Education starts with us--if we speak out--be informed. The pts have been accused of spouting different info--thus they willingly accept that it IS a junk or garbage can of DX's. So, when you do speak up for us--be sure you are informed and not hurting the cause.

Start with those things that are out there and are being accepted well by the general public and researchers.

I asked this site to print up for us a pamphlet that would help us, as pts understand a little better but also function as a tool for educating the docs, family and friends. Thus we have: The FREE Patient's Guide. This can be ordered by clicking on the first post and placing your order. Order a few extra for handing out.
    It is well written and has some quotes by well known researchers who have the resect of the majority of doctors.

Take some to the hospitals in your area. ASk to place them in the waiting area as well for others.

Also this site has a wealth of articles in the library here to educate you & the world.
    A tip for searching: If you have a favorite researcher--put their name in the search portion on the library. I wouldn't bring up Garth N> the other day but did bring him up when I input; mycoplasms

I have done numerous presntation to large groups of docs; I have found they tend to be more receptive to docs in their own state or perhaps where they went to school. Some might question if it is worth it?

I have never been disappointed with my work to educate. But I do go about it very routinely and methodically.

I mail or deliver by hand, very year; new research to all that I have been dealing with for many years now. My results have been quite obvious for me. I get calls nearly eevery year thanking me for updates and they DO ask me to bring in more pamphlets as well. Even some who were reluctant in the beginning.

Every Year, I try to bring in at least one or two new sources for educating and add them to my list.

BTW I have always included ALL State reps, Govenors, Mayors, Senators, every President since officially DX'd, every news media in my local area and Churches, clinics and I do hand them out everywhere I go.

I have met several Law enforcement personnel--I send to them--they are prone to this due to stress.
    I have family-in-laws that have it too--and work for their cities--I mail to their cities too.
    I mail to Senior centers as well.

If we don't who will?
    What do you do to help our cause?

Jackie F
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

advocate treatment for mental illness. Everything from OCD, Depression et al. Down south here is still the deeply rooted belief in the "bootstrap". There are just some things you cannot "yank".
    I attend the County Commissioner's who govern the tax $$ and have fought to keep the mental health facilities that remain. The axe has been wielded very deep and people hurt. There is no place for them to go but on a southbound train. But I did finish the book I started a year and a half ago as far as content; I now need copies and distribution to the local and tri-county area of doc offices, waiting rooms, et al.

Those of us who CAN must fight for those who CANNOT for whatever reason. Not for us to judge but our own stewardship to our brothers and sisters. Love CactusLil'
  4. Cheka

Cheka New Member

Very well put Jackie and Cactus... I too have begun with the area hospital and doctors. Never even thought about the nursing homes, but will work on that next. It is what I can do now, which is most important to me at this point. I am on the bandwagon for the celebs and media but I personally feel I can't just take a wait and see stance, I must also "move" in the interim. I am so new to this, having been dx'd only last year. Up until then I had never even heard of FMS, therefore I think it vital to educate ourselves to the max. I don't necessarily subscribe to the "flashy" stories or even all the "theories", as that is all they are... merely theories. And cactus, I so much believe that we must be the voices for those of us that are too weak to speak, we owe it to them.... but for the grace of God, go I.
    Thank you for the great suggestions!
    Love,
    Debbie
  5. Renee T

Renee T New Member

John has suffered from clinical depression for years. One of the things that really angers both of us, is these people who say "just get over it" or as you say, "You just have to pull yourself out of this". Luckily, he has been in remission (or whatever you want to call it) for the last several years.

It is almost comical, if it were not so cruel.

I think we all do what we can to "help inform" others about our disease(s).

I REALLY agree that to judge others is not our job. TO encourage is.

6. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

I am still working to get anyone to listen.
    I happen to have some access to the show biz industry and continue to flood them & their docs as well.

Miracles still happen--it could happen some day!

Jackie F
  7. Cheka

Cheka New Member

Never thought otherwise, you have made yourself(IMO)very clear on that subject. Never mind those that can't "read" you for what you say. You will never be able to come up with the right "formula" of words to make them understand.
    Love and Respect,
    Debbie