How to file for job "protection" in the Federal Government?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by conrskin, Sep 25, 2002.

1. conrskin

conrskin New Member

Hi,

I work for the Federal Government (26 yrs). Due to the flak I'm getting at work, due to my problems with FMS,
    I have been trying to take steps to protect myself job wise. I got a note from my doctor saying that I will miss work from time to time due to a medical condition she is treating. She also told me to get ahold of FMLA forms and have her fill them out and sign them (Family Medical Leave Act). Form WH-380 (Certification of Health Care Provider). My question is that on the forms it says specifically for the employee to hang on to it once its signed, and NOT to send it in to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, how is that helping me if its not in my file?
    does anyone else work for the govenrment and know of any other type of documents that I can do? I'm getting the "you can be let go if you're unable to work" scenario and my doctor insists thats against the law and does NOT hold up in court. Anyone have any info?

2. conrskin

conrskin New Member

Hi,

I work for the Federal Government (26 yrs). Due to the flak I'm getting at work, due to my problems with FMS,
    I have been trying to take steps to protect myself job wise. I got a note from my doctor saying that I will miss work from time to time due to a medical condition she is treating. She also told me to get ahold of FMLA forms and have her fill them out and sign them (Family Medical Leave Act). Form WH-380 (Certification of Health Care Provider). My question is that on the forms it says specifically for the employee to hang on to it once its signed, and NOT to send it in to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, how is that helping me if its not in my file?
    does anyone else work for the govenrment and know of any other type of documents that I can do? I'm getting the "you can be let go if you're unable to work" scenario and my doctor insists thats against the law and does NOT hold up in court. Anyone have any info?

3. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I worked for the Post Office, and went out on FLMA for several months. The forms were kept at my office with my supervisor. I never heard of form WH-380. I tried to come back to work, on a part-time basis, with reduced hours, coming in later, ect. It didn't work. And I was finally told one day by my supervisor that I should go out on retirement disability, as they PO could no longer accomodate me. My manager told me the same thing when I called in and asked if I could just work a few hours a day. They said either that, or they'd let me go. I don't think they could do that legally. The union wouldn't let them. They would've had to find a light-duty position for me. However, I couldn't have done that either. So I took them up on their offer. Due to the pain, fatigue, depression, and side effects of all the meds I'm on, was their reasoning of not being able to accomodate me any longer. I officially retired on 8/26 and my disability retirement file was sent to OPM on the 9th of this month. My pain management doctor referred me to a doctor that was Certified by Amerian Board of Indepedndent Medical Examiners, who basically said I was disabled. As you know, receiving disability from the government, is MUCH easier than receiving it from SSA. Your doctor just has to say that you can do the essential part of your job anymore. However, in order to file for disability retirement with OPM, you must show proof of filing with SSA. Lots of paperwork, but it's not so bad. I'm waiting now to hear from the postal disability. As far as my supervisor said it looked like an open and shut case. SSA I'm sure will deny me. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Regina