How to File SSI w/out not working? HELP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cpdwife1519, Jan 21, 2010.

1. cpdwife1519

cpdwife1519 New Member

Anyone have any ideas? I have been told on this board to file but only when I have done fmla or something through my work that covers me Im not sure that my dept has that.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board.

Have you been to the Disability/Benefits board?

I don't know anything about SSI disability except that I was denied. Pretty good
    trick considering that I never applied.

Anyway, I have seen two bits of information posted many times over the years:

1) you must have an attorney
    2) you cannot apply when you are still working.

Best of luck to you.

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

rock, while I do believe that you have seen these bits of advice posted & are trying to help, they are not actually true....I applied while I was still working (very part time, though - it IS true that working full time will not get you anywhere with SSDI, bc if you are able to do full time work, by their definition you are not disabled).....and I did not have an attorney, and I was approved on the first try

what matters is documenting absolutely everything - what you were like before compared to what you are like now (how this has impacted your physical, emotional, and cognitive functioning: at work; doing things like grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking, etc; socially; recreationally; etc)...and having this info recorded by yourself, but also backed up by Drs, friends, and family who know you well, co-workers, if possible, etc....the more people who will back you up the better, but make sure that they will truly back you up - if they are at all iffy re what they will say, it is better to leave out their testimony) ....if you have had accommodations made at work, tell them about these and about how they did/did not help, if you have tried meds, supplements, massage, etc, etc, etc....list everything and how it affected you....and though it sucks, if this illness has affected you emotionally make sure to mention that, too (I do not mean that this is caused by depression or anything, but that it can cause depression and they will look at that as one more thing that impacts your ability to work)

I was very honest about everything (good and bad) when I applied- I told them that I was still working very part time (not any longer, but I was in better shape when I applied than I am now), at the time I was still doing a little exercise & I mentioned that, but also said how much less I was able to do than I was used to & how inconsistently I was able to exercise.....seriously, I covered absolutely every part of my life - how I used to be and how I was at the time of the application, everything I had tried to do to get better and to be able to work, etc....every symptom, how severe it was, and how it affected my ability to function (and even brought up the fact that many of my symptoms fluctuated a lot - so what I could do one day was not the same as what I could do the next....there was absolutely no way that I could work two consecutive days, let alone five, and that showed)(I gave them a picture of what a typical day was like when I was having a "good" day and an exp of what a typical bad day was like)

since applying, I have continued to decline and have had one SSDI review, and got thru that ok, too......I now save absolutely everything that has anything to do with my physical, emotional, or cognitive health - whether it is something I journaled, something the Dr wrote, a test result, etc.....I have learned that it is really important to hang onto this stuff

I do know that if I had to go thru the initial application at this point, I would have to have a lot of help with it, bc I am nowhere near healthy enough to be able to get thru all that they ask (just too much time energy and brain power required - it was very tough then, but would be impossible now).....actually, I did have a friend do much of the writing when I applied the first time, bc my writing has become incredibly horrible and I could not handle writing the pages and pages of stuff they required (I did document the fact that he had helped, though, and it was pretty obvious from just looking at the handwriting that it was two different people doing it anyway)

anyway, good luck
  4. cpdwife1519

cpdwife1519 New Member

ive read both of those sites already and thank you both for your resp's
    I am frustrated because "I have to " work I support two children and
    my husbands income is not at all enough for our finances.
    But my body and mentl health is suffereing!