How to find a pain clinic???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chinlover, Mar 26, 2007.

  1. Chinlover

    Chinlover New Member

    Since I am new to all of this and don't know much of anything, I could use some help. I have a PCP and a Rheumatologist. They give me neurontin, flexiril, and effexor. I still am in pain. She only offered me a 30 day supply of Tylenol 3- non refillable and .25mg of Xanax for "a couple of weeks only". I need more help than that. How do I find someone to give me more help. Do you have to have a Dr. referral to a pain clinic or can you just sign yourself up? Thanks for your help! Chinlover
  2. onnaroll

    onnaroll New Member

    you have to have a doctor refferal, and they are not always able to help!! Please call your doc and tell them , that you are in tears, and need something stronger! or I would suggest you look for a new doc. best of luck onna

    ps I paid 500 for my visit to a pain specialist , and he did absolutly Nothing for me. my doc is the one who gave me my pan meds[This Message was Edited on 03/26/2007]
  3. coolma

    coolma New Member

    pain clinics are often held through your local hospital. It operates just like a clinic but they specialize in pain treatments, nerve blocks, etc. You do not have to be hospitalized to use them. I do not know how your health coverage works - but they may be covered by private health insurance, or your social health insurance. Some are independent and advertise locally. I would not rule them out completely as they do treat pain directly. Some people do find they help their conditions. also, a good specialist can give you trigger point injections, a local analgesic injected directly into the trigger point site (the spasms) and they relieve the pain. Rheumatoid arthritic specialists do this. You have to learn to speak up and continue to speak up until your case is heard, and you get the relief you need. Unfortunately, it is hard to be your own advocate when you need it most!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2007]
  4. debhun

    debhun New Member

    I learned the hard way. March 14th I went to my first pain clinic and they do not treat FM or CFS. They did tell me that they could put a shot into my spin thatmight help my headaches. But that is all they could do. Will today I called around and had to ask if they treat FM and CFS. there is alot that don't treat us. and it is very sad cause there is quite a few of us out there. I live in a very small town and the one I found is 2 hours away. But hey if it is good I would drive 10 hours. I just want what every one else wants and that is for the pain to go away and not come back. If they say stand on my head will do the trick will that is what I will do. It is just so hard for me. My family don't beleave that I am sick. If I here walk you will feel better I am going to punch them out. Sorry I went off. But do make calls cause there is some that don't do FM and CFS. I wish you the best of luck


[ advertisement ]