How to gear up for stressful times suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Sep 1, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

So I know times for Fibromites are ALWAYS stressful, but i'm talking way way WAY stressful that you have no choice but to cope with and go through it.

How do you gear up for these times? Plan ahead so you don't totally kill yourself (metaphorically that is)? Any tips would be appreciated. It's just one of those times where I'm not sure how i'm going to keep up.
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

For me it's HOW I handle a situation that helps me. So many things in life are out of our control. Here's how I look at things....

Chit Happens...

So when it does, it's important to remember a few things...

* Can I control any part of the situation?
    * What part do I play? Can I improve upon it?
    * If it's out of my control, what do I have control over?
    * Can I control my reactions better?
    * Did I do the best that I could?
    * Did I learn anything from the situation?
    * Should I have learned something?
    * Did I handle myself with dignity and others with respect?
    * Was I the best I could be today?
    * Do my loved ones love me?
    * Now that's important!!

This is something I wrote up for my husband as a reminder because he knew he was in for a few months of hell(o) at work and he's sick too.

It's helped him, maybe it can help you too.

Hugs and good luck,

Nancy B.

And Nanna, it's great to see you posting again...welcome back!!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  3. KelB

KelB New Member

Although I have CFS rather than FM, I believe that some folks here have found pre-emptive rest helpful with both.

Try taking short rest periods - maybe half an hour at a time - at regular intervals during the day, even if you don't feel tired.

The way it was explained to me, it works like recharging a battery. While you're moving about, you're expending energy and running the battery down. If you do too much, the battery is emptied and you crash.

However, if you lay down and do some breathing exercises or listen to quiet music, you're recharging the battery. Even if you don't feel like you need it right that moment, the rest will give you that little extra reserve of energy to use if you need it.

If you know you have stressful times ahead, start the rest routine now and build yourself up. If possible, take short rests whenever you can during the stressful period.

Sounds silly, but for me, even locking myself in the washroom for ten minutes and sitting there with my eyes closed, do help keep me going. I've made it through a couple of family weddings and some concentrated studying like that.

At work, rather than have an hour off at lunchtime, I have a half hour break at 10am and 1pm. I go and sit in the car and shut my eyes.

Hope that helps.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

butterfly:

I will not do anything that will end up in a flare.
    Sometimes I mess up and end up with pain.
    I do not pull, push, or carry anthing (although I made that error food shopping)

As for 'gearing up for it' I load up on pain meds and get through anything that can not be avoided.

It works out (usually) for me.

nyrofan
  5. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! there are some good tips i'm going to try to use.

And remember I'm talking about situations you have no choice but to just go through and take some hits on.

A family member is having life-threatening surgery out of state, we have a family-run business, so there is a LOT of medical research, doctor visits, and general slack to pick up so i'm just trying to do the best/most I can without completely digging myself into a hole.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2006]
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

That's kind of what I was picturing when I read your post and remembering one year ago when my Mom was dying in the hospital, I was too sick to go back to see her, husband was gone, daughter had just gotten out of a psych ward again and....

I had a kitten in the hospital, and my sister who was medical POA was in the wilds of Canada so they were hooking my Mom up to machines she never wanted to be hooked up to. (There's more, but I'll stop here)

Sometimes life just happens that way and I learned that I just had to LET GO.

I couldn't control what was happening, I could barely feed myself. So I just did the best I could each day and let go of the rest.

I made peace with myself and found joy in knowing that I'd loved my Mom and enjoyed her while she was well. She knew I loved her and I just kind of rejoiced in knowing that we had a Great relationship. That's all I could do....

Find your limits and know that each day you do what you can within your limitations. That's doing your best, whatever that may be for that day.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  7. JolieLuLu

JolieLuLu New Member

any more good tips?
  8. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Butterfly (hey that rhymes!) sorry entertained by the silliest things! lol

If I know that something is coming up I try to rest more ahead of time. Don't do things like vacuuming etc that would normally put my body into a snit.

But if it is really stressful for well I just seem to make myself even sicker. The quality of my sleep gets worse, my pain levels get worse etc, IBS really flares. I am definitely my own worst enemy. I often get severe rashes during really stressful times.

If I have a new doctor to visit (this is always stressful for me as you never know what kind of reaction you will get) I can't sleep for days in advance. The one good thing about this is by the time I get there I am so sick they can't help but believe me!

So sorry I am not very helpful. As I said I am my own worst enemy!

hugs Marion (Redwillow)

[This Message was Edited on 09/04/2006]