HOw to get better sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Aug 1, 2012.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I don't fall alseep in my bed any more as I keep my dear hubby awake with my tossing and turing. So I end up in the recliner and wake up sore from all the strange postions I slept in during the night. I then go to bed after hubby goes to work but really don't sleep all that well, the bed is not the most comfy bed I have ever slept in. I really wanted to get an intelligel bed but they cost too much and for some odd reason Medicare does not pay for beds like intelligel in a king sized bed. But if they did I would be the first to get one and sleep much better.

I wonder if ususing some aroma therapy scents will help me to relax and fall alseep sooner? My daughters have some really good doeterra{sp} aromatherapy scents that are really great. Deep blue is like ben gay in scaent .{wintergreen} I Like the lavendar and would want to use it inside my pillow case so that hopefully hubby would not be bothered by the scent. I also love a soft peppermint, not so strong that it wakes you up but some thing that is soft and gentle and realax's me. FOund a body wash last christmas called Wintermint party. Only one problem it is only made at christmas and in limited amounts.
    I owuld love a massage to help relax my achy stiff muscles but dont' have the money to do it even for a half hour. I just know that if I could fall alsseep sooner and stay that way I would feel better and not be so tired and so achey all the time.\

Any suggestions as how to get a good nights sleep on a bed htat is not the best for great sleep?
    Thanks so much
  2. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Rosemarie, I have to take 2 drugs and an herbal formula to fall asleep! But they work. Doxepin and klonopin. Plus I take an herbal formula that has Valerian root, Chamomile, Passion Flower and a couple other things. ProHealth carries something for sleep with such ingredients.

Taking a warm bath an bit before you want to fall asleep can help you relax. Deep breathing also helps. Lavendar as you mentioned is a relaxer that some people swear by.

If you have an extra bedroom, you may want to just resign yourself to going to sleep there instead of in the same bed as your husband, since you are on different sleep schedules. My husband and I finally resorted to this as he is early to bed, early to rise and I am a night owl and a half and sleep till midday.

I hope you can get some quality sleep. Without the sleep, everything else just feels so much worse. Hugs, MicheleK
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

We are in a small house with one bedroom so sleeping in another bed is not possiable to do.
    I have tried to take melatoin but I can't find a dose that keeps me alseep all night. I also take Xanax and have had the pharmist tell me not to take any thing with Valerian root in it as it will make me even more sleepy. I don't believe him tho as I am not sleepy now and I should be.

I tried to take a warm bath but it didn't do much tonight as it is so hot.
    I too am a night owl so that is why I sleep in the bed after he leaves for work.
    Thanks for the suggestions
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Ever tried Sleepy Time Tea? It is made by Celestial Seasonings and costs about $ 3.00 for 12 bags. There is also another kind out there made by another company called something like sandman tea~~sorry that might not be it. You can find these teas in the grocery store on the aisle where regular tea is sold.
  5. deserella

deserella Member

I recently read a blog by a lady with fibro and she suggested having your partner giving you a massage with essential oils before bed so you will be relaxed.
  6. jc16551

jc16551 New Member

Sounds like you need sleep medication for onset and duration of sleep.

Low-dose (15mg) mirtazapine might work, or medications in the TCA class such as Nortriptyline or Elavil.

Benzos are not recommended.

Dr. Dan
  7. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Meditation is the only thing that works for me. I've tried all kinds of herbs and then medications. Right now I take melatonin every night-but also meditate for 20 minutes. I need to meditate every day. Also, sadly I cannot sleep with my husband. We sleep in separate rooms. Maybe if you don't have that flexibility you could get twin beds? Start with the meditation every day and see how that works for you. I also exercise every day and no napping or I won't sleep.
  8. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

then how about a mattress pad or topper? I have a 4" feather bed over a 1" memory foam and it works wonders. I was a lot cheaper too, especially since a lot of companies charge sky-high fees for shipping to Alaska (or they just plain refuse to ship to Alaska or Hawaii altogether).

I got some linen refresher from B&BWorks in a eucalyptus spearmint and it has lasted for what seems like forever! Hubby likes the smell too as it's not overpowering. Works great for relaxing.

Also if you have an iPod or MP3 player, music with binaural beats is so relaxing and eases you into a wonderful sleep. Just some suggestions from the queen of insomniacs! LOL!

Soft hugs,