How To Get More Fibre

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My recent colonoscopy was normal but I have had diverticula for some time. They never get inflammed nor infected but I don't want to take any chances. The wonderful NP told me about the recommended 25 grams of fibre a day to help prevent problems and prevent more diverticula from forming. Kellogg's All Bran Buds (not just All Bran but All Bran BUDS) contains 13 grams in only 1/3 cup. You can eat it alone, add fruit, mix it with other cereal or add it to yogurt. It fills me up and keeps me from getting hungry. It's easy to get 25 to 30 grams a day or, at least, close to that, with this cereal.

BTW, I've been taking probiotics for years and my colonoscopies always show an excellent mucosa lining in the colon. That's important because it prevents toxins from penetrating the colon wall and it keeps immunity healthy. A recent special on PBS recommended taking even more probiotics than I had been taking, so I've doubled up on them. I use two different ones in order to get a better variety of strains of bacteria.

Because of my recent Sjogren's symptoms, including dry mouth, I've added digestive enzymes to my regimen.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, eating a lot of fibre can certainly get one up and moving :) They gave me a list of high-fibre foods and fruits, veggies, and legumes were the highest, except for the buds. I live alone and eat convenient foods, like fresh fruit but I don't think I could ever eat enough to get 25 to 30 grams of fibre without the buds.

If y'all have a chance to watch the PBS special on gut immunity, it's good to watch.

Love, Mikie