how to get rid of ants

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sixtyslady, May 30, 2006.

1. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

does anyone know how to get rid of ants ,I'm very sensitive to any kind of poison, so thought maybe someone would know a safe way .there in my bathroom just noticed them today. AND THAT BATROOM IS OFF MY BEDROOM SO i NEED TO BE CAREFUL WHAT i USE. thanks , sixtyslady
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Besides raid (they now make a version which is all natural, haven't tried it yet)
    I use the vacuum and suction up the trail of ants and then spray the area where they are coming in at with bleach or simple green or raid, depending on what room it is in.

Simple green is a natural cleaner and doesn't have a strong odor. Also if it is coming from an outside door, spray the outside of the door with raid to avoid fumes.

Sincerely
    JL
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Orange Guard. This is made from Citrus and is safe enough to use in the home and around living beings (that want to remain living).
    Do a google and you will easily find this.

Kills on Contact
    May be used around Food, Humans, and Pets

Fresh Citrus Scent

Indoor-Outdoor

EPA Registered

Broad Range Contact Insecticide & Broad Range Residual Repellant
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Works on ants, fire ants, roaches, fleas, silverfish, plant pests, and other insect pests.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All ingredients generally recognized as safe by the FDA.

Orange Guard T-Shirts Now Available
    Home The Orange Guard Story FAQ Where to Buy Orange Guard Order Technical Info Customer Comments

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How does Orange Guard Kill insects?
    The active ingredient d-Limonene (orange peel extract) destroys the wax coating of the insect's respiratory system. When applied directly, the insect suffocates.

[This Message was Edited on 05/30/2006]
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

Horse Apples. They will kill ants. If you can find a horse apple, just lay it down where you are seeing the ants or where they are trailing back and forth. It is natural, and it really works.

Kriket
  5. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

whats a horse apple. is that a hedge ball? sorry I just don"t know what that is, I should be ashamed, I'm part Native Amercian I should probably know that kinda thing. Thanks, sixtyslady
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Ron mixed baking soda w/ sugar in a shallow lid. They eat the sugar, but the baking soda kills them later on and eventually kills the colony. Probably works for other insects that come looking for food, like earwigs.

We have an infestation of those tiny ants that get in foods, they were all over the counters. If you left a knife w/ peanut butter or jam, then it was party time, they loved the dishwasher too.

I tried borax, a bowl of the powder, which does work for lots of insects. I sprinkle some near any drainhole under sinks and stuff, the bugs won't come in there.

We also had a terrible infestation of ladybugs in our sunroom and spare room upstairs, they like sun. There ws hundreds. I'm chemically sensitive so all pesticides are out. But we used non-toxic fly strips, you know those ugly yellow sticky things. Half of the stupid things were wiped out in an hour, they love the strips. All gone in a few days.

Jeanne
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

My bedroom has had a lot of ants and spiders lately. I was going to just kill on sight and try to put up with the rest, but that sugar/baking soda idea sounds really neat. I'm a softie at heart and I would rather call a truce and let them have their day, but it's good to know there are options for me if I get fed up. Just today I was wondering about alternatives to poison.

Is there anything that keeps spiders out of the house? I'll post a spider-killing tip. Everyone grabs them up with a bit of tissue. I find that spiders are easier to catch if the tissue is wetted on the spider side.

((poor bugs!)) Shannon

P.S. There is a fat black spider crawling on the ceiling directly above my head, and it's creeping me out!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2006]
  8. jake123

jake123 New Member

I've been seeing the tiniest little ants (?) coming in my kitchen window. I've gotten rid of them a couple of times by inundating the area with Windex.
    I think what I need to do is get the hose and hook up that Windex window cleaner and blast the windows and rafters except the patio. I do this about 4 times a year. Then I go around the bricks of the windows with the orange bug stuff.
    I don't like to be too intense with the insecticide because I have geckos on the patio side.
    Another thing I do is dampen a paper towel with the orange stuff and go under every overhang board at the bottom of all the cabinets. Of course, same thing at the back of every cabinet also.
    This usually takes me a couple of days to complete.
    but at least I know the critters will stay on their side.
  9. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I've been very lucky at home, but at work I had an ant problem. Got rid of most of the ones that I saw and then placed several of the ant 'hotels' - two toned in the office. Boy, worked like a charm! I swear by it.
  10. starmom

starmom New Member

that my parents' know, it is important to have something they take back to the colony. Only the workers come in your house. To really deal with the problem you need something that will not kill the workers right away, but that they will take back to poison the rest of the colony.

I have used the Raid Ant Hotel thingy's with great luck in past years. My mom spent $25 on 10 of the bait traps from the entomologist, seemed high to me. It will take 2-3 weeks, during which time they may seem WORSE, but then they will all die off.

Check with a local termite/pest control company to see if they have traps specialized for whatever kind of ants you have. Be aware that some ants can damage the wood in your house, trees, etc....

Susie
  11. mykas_mommy

mykas_mommy New Member

One of my friends told me to take a bunch of sugar and pour it in a corner of the yard farthest from your house, it will attract the ants and then spray the heck out of the sugar when its full of ants.

Ok the creepy. I wouldnt have thought of this had the one woman talk about the spiders. I heard this on the radio as useless trivia (my mind is a steel trap for useless trivia Lord help me)and it gave me the willies then too.
    At any one time, you are never more than 3 feet away from a spider. Holy crud my butt is 3 ft wide so I am really surrounded lol jk.
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

A horse apple is a lime colored apple that is really rough all over. It's not like a reg. apple. They grow on trees here in a few places.

Don't really know what else they are good for. Well, I guess the horse apples are out of the question, don't think you have them where you are.

LOL I think they are poisonous. My mom uses them for her ant problem and it kills them. Sorry I don't know a whole lot about horseapples either.

Kriket
  13. mykas_mommy

mykas_mommy New Member

what we call crabapples here.

Also forgot if you can find the ant hill where they are originating, poor boiling water down the hole of the ant hill it will boil and drown those little buggers!!!!
  14. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

They have always worked for me and I don't use any poison in he house or around the outside of the house.

We have always used the ant and roach motels for the strays. Works great and I don't have to worry about my cat getting into any of it.

Hugs,
    Faye
  15. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Thanks everyone for posting their techniques in getting rid of ants. I swear we are living under a huge ant colony here. We just saw a few ants in the kitchen and in the garage so we know that the war has begun.

I ordered some of the Orange Guard and I hope it works on these type of ants.

Again thank you!
  16. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

which is Minnesota, my mother got rid of ants by sprinkling cloves where they appeared.

But that doesn't work in California. (Probably because the California ants wear sun glasses and don't see the cloves.)
  17. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

You could try putting pine oil down; they're supposed to hate it.
  18. elliespad

elliespad Member

What about diazinon and Dursban?
    Email page
    Serious health concerns
    The US Environmental Protection Agency is phasing out the pesticides diazinon and Dursban (clopyrifos) because of concern about potential harm to children's health and the environment. It is illegal to sell Dursban as of December 31, 2001, and diazinon will be completely off the market by the end of 2004.

US EPA Diazinon documents (reports, risk assessments, etc.)
    What are these pesticides?
    Diazinon and Dursban have been two of the most widely used pesticides in King County and across the United States. They are both organophosphate (OP) insecticides. This class of pesticides works by interfering with the insect's nervous system. OP pesticides are used for a range of insects in the home and yard, such as crane flies, carpenter ants, spider mites and aphids.

Why should I be concerned?
    A local study by University of Washington scientists found residues of organophosphate pesticides, such as Dursban and diazinon, in the urine of 109 out of 110 young children tested. The levels of pesticides were related to parents' use of garden pesticides. The researchers recommended that OP pesticides not be used in places where children are likely to play.

Why make the change? Lawncare that makes sense in the Northwest (Seattle Public Utilities)
    It's in the streams
    Scientists found diazinon in every King County stream tested at levels high enough to harm aquatic life.

It harms endangered salmon
    Scientists found that diazinon exposure interfered with the ability of Chinook salmon to find their way home and avoid predators.

It kills birds
    Diazinon is responsible for more bird deaths than any other pesticide. It is found in surface water, air and rain nationwide. It has been responsible for local waterfowl deaths.

What should I do instead?

Pesticide disposal information: Household Hazardous Waste Collection
    Start with these 5 easy steps of Natural Yard Care

Build healthy soil
    Plant right for your site
    Smart watering
    Think twice before using pesticides
    Natural lawn care

19. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

sounds like we all have them. thanks for all the tips.
    I think the horse apples ,are what we call hedge apples
    I had a older lady tell me that she puts them in her basement for spiders and mice.
    I know where there are some in our area. we have a horsemans state park .we ride out there often and theres aome out there along the road so I guess we'll take a ride and pick some up. I'll let you know if it helps.
    Sixtyslady
  20. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

HORSE APPLES go yet. Never heard of them and was intrigued. I know of one such tree in town, and it is referred to as Osage Orange. It's a surreal scene when they lie all about on the ground, like bright green little (actually larger than baseball) BRAINS.

I found the following info on a website that I'M GUESSING was selling them for bug-ridding reasons. In their first paragraph they state that the EPA can no longer allow them to make specific claims for their use.

"The puckered, fluorescent green fruit of the Osage Orange Tree (Maclura pomifera) have many different names. They've been known to be called; hedgeballs, hedgeapples, monkey balls, osage orange, mock oranges, horse apples and green brain. Just place the hedge ball in your cupboards, on the floor in your basement and garage, and around the outside of your house."

P.S. I've had the little buggers (ants) every single place I've ever lived, and it's a constant battle in summertime. Nothing works for long.