how to get rid of fire ants, NOT a joke

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Catseye, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Catseye

Catseye Member

I just posted on the other board; dncnfngrs made me remember this so thanks to her: in GA we used to pour instant grits on fire ant nests to get rid of them. It worked every time. Just buy a huge bag of Aunt Jemima or whatever and pour them all over the nest. I don't know how it works but that's how we got rid of them. Some people said they swelled after eating them, who knows.

And the grits are cheaper and less disgusting than the fire ant killer. I used that other stuff once and it was gross. You pour it on and then pour water on and the ants start bringing their larvae to the top and it's just sick. With the grits, they're just gone.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

What recipe do you use?
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I have actually never cooked grits in my life. I can't stand them, to me it's like eating wet sand. I just pour them dry, straight from the bag onto the ants.

Cheese grits are a big hit with my husband's family though! How revolting.

4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I love the way you have to clarify your threads now ...

ROFLMAO ...

BTW, I love grits ... but not with ants ...

And my aunt swears by this remedy for ants too ...

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I was ever exposed to grits was when I spent 5 weeks in Atlanta going to school.

You didn't have to order them in a restaurant. Every meal came w/ them. As I recall they were gritty and tasteless.
    People put everything in the world on them: butter, syrup, gravy, jam, etc.
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

They're ground corn. It's like really large particle beach sand. You mix it up like you would cream of wheat and it's so tasteless, you have to add flavor just like rockgor said: butter, syrup, gravy, jam, cheese, bacon grease, pigs feet, toe jam, boogers, whatever it takes to make you want to eat it.

Personally, I'd eat the chocolate covered ants - thanks for the recipe fight! - before I'd eat grits.

They are usually served as a side dish in restaurants in the Southern US. I used to love Jiffy corn bread muffins, so it's not that I don't like corn, I just don't like it this way.

7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I love grits! Eat them almost everyday. They are my comfort food. I eat them to help settle an upset stomach or whenever I don't feel well.

They are really not very different from polenta.

Karen I just think you've never had 'em cooked up right!

8. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Shar, i love polenta!! And i'm not even a southern girl! Grits sound great, real butter and sea salt! Yummy

Hold the ants please!!
  9. sues1

sues1 New Member

But on that recipe for chocolate covered black ants...

Would bees work in place of the ants?