How to get rid of the Chigger Bite Itches???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beadlady, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I'm going crazy and if I don't find relief soon I won't have any skin left.

Thank you,
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I had never heard of these things at all until the other day (one day this week) when Joy Behar on 'The View' was complaining about being covered by these things--so much so that it pre-empted her from attending the All-Stars game at Shea here in New York (which is a very big deal). She commented that she covered herself in Caladryl for the relief.

Perhaps if you check out 'The View' website a blogger or two may have posted something about it.

I hoe you feel better and maybe a Benadryl or two might help.

3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Try Afterbite Kids (adults can use it too!). It's got great ingredients in it like eucalyptus oil. It's very soothing and takes out the itchies.

All the best,

4. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

You can cover the bites with clear nail polish (clear, not the pink tint). You can also dab ammonia on them, that is what most 'afterbite' products are made of. You can use straight ammonia or Windex. You can try benadryl cream, but I've never been impressed. You can also take oral antihistimines to help the itching from the inside out.

Chigger bites are terribly painful and annoying. They are second only to fire ants IMHO.

Take care,

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I have had a mite infestation for 3 months! The itchy, crawly nightmare has been incredibly frustrating and nothing we have tried has had any effect on them at all. I hope you do not have whatever mite it is we have!!!

I have found that Benadryl at night has cut down on not only the itching but also the size of the bites. Topical Tea tree oil also helped the itching as does ammonia as others have said.

The very best of luck to you!

Also Bugged,

6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

The thing about chiggers that makes them so horrible is that they burrow into your skin. Then they move and bite you again and again. They aren't like mosquito's who bite and fly away. In order to stop them, you have to kill them through suffocation.
    There is a product called "Chigger Rid" that will do just that. But it is not much different than clear nail polish. Dab a dot of it on every bite to kill them. Let it dry, and try not to scratch it off. For the insufferable itching, try Benedryl - either the little pink/white pills or the topical cream. Also, wash your bedding, and vacuum where you sit.
  7. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Beadlady,

I've had chigger bites, and they are the worst. I had about 12-15 bites last fall, and desperately went to the local Wal-Mart. They had two different products, one of the fingernail polish type and a different one called Chiggerex Plus. I found the Chiggerex Plus to be much more effective than the fingernail polish type product. Plus, it actually had somewhat of a please scent to it.

My brother lives in Arkansas, and deals with chigger bites every year. He says the most effective thing for him is to put cold on the bites. It's true they will bite over and over again once burrowed under the skin, but they hate cold. That's why they come out in the hottest months of the years.

My brother takes cold baths if he has them over a big part of his body, or puts cold packs on them if they're more localized. Good luck in finding some relief. It can almost drive a person crazy at times.

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2008]
  8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Go to your local pharmacy. There are over the counter products meant just for this problem. You could even ask the pharmacist which is best if there are more than one choice.

I use the chigger rid. I had a bad case of them about a year ago. I sat on the curb outside of my home while my dog was chasing June Bugs under the street lamp. I had a huge amount of chiggers who imbedded themselves into the skin on my hiney. I feel like itching just thinking about it!!!!!!!!
  9. Toga

Toga Member

There's a local drug store in our small town that used to sell "Chigger Cream" which was a concoction they made up themselves. It was fantastic. Smothered those little buggers.

We ran into one of the pharmacists and I told him how great it was. He told me the FDA made them stop selling it because it had not been FDA approved. The ingredients (3 or 4 of them) were all FDA approved. But they were not allowed to mix them up.

I suggested that he sell a "Kit" with the ingredients for people to mix. He thought that was a good idea. I don't know if they ever did it though.

I do know one of the ingredients was sulfa powder and one was camphor. One use and the chiggers were gone.

Maybe some of you might know what the other one or two ingredients might be?????