how to get virus tested?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cred, Nov 12, 2005.

1. cred

cred New Member

Can I ask my primary to order the virus test? are there certain blood tests I need to ask for? I have sufferde about 7 years. I believe shortly after child birth. finally diagnosis 3 months ago. now I wantto know root cause.
    thanks
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I hope I'm spelling that correctly. That would be for CFS, I believe. I don't think there is a virus test for FMS.

Some tests your doc should know to run to rule out certain things. There are members on here who have a lot more info that I do, but I just wanted to answer your post. I really hate seeing posts go unanswered, even if I can't help much.

Be well!

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Your PCP can test for many things, but it is usually the ruling out of any other illnesses ... plus some virals. I'm not sure how strong they are on mycoplasms though.

The FFC has the most convenient set up and already know what tests to order. Quest Labs does their work. You can put the FFC's in the above search for member postings.

FFC's are costly to some ... You can also call Quest Labs or google them. They are starting a program where patients can order their own blood work, sans physician, and the results will be sent directly to you. My understanding is that the costs run about 50% less this way vs. ordering them from the doc's office.

If it were me at this point I would copy down every single blood test Quest has done for FFC's pathogen testing and get it done myself. Present findings with doc and discuss options then.

I was very fortunate to have a PCP who was highly educated in pathogen treatment in CFS/FM patients. Had it not been the case I would be in the same boat you're in.

Quest is not the only Lab to open up to patient's like this ... the next 2 largest US Labs are doing it as well. It might be the best resource for you ... No matter how great our doctors are some's hands will be tied in the test ordering phase. The managed care organization these docs contracted with makes ordering special, costly and intricate testing next to impossible without the docs incuring financial penelties.

I hope this helps some. It was tough having to research my illness every single step of the way and coming up with my plan ... THEN finding the right docs (minus PCP of course) to fix the mutiple problems. It doesn't seem fair that we have to do all this work when we are soooo sick!

I hope all is well with you ... let me know if you have any questions ...

Elsa

4. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Cred,

I believe that you can ask your primary doctor for the testing, however, whether they think it is justified or not is another matter.

I don't know if you have been following any of the posts about the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers (FFC). It is where I had my testing done. This is from an earlier post I wrote.

I went for my first appointment to the Cleveland FFC in March. I believe that one of the strengths of the FFCs is not just the tests they perform, but the ability to interpret them correctly for people with FM/CFS.

Often, we may test within the “normal” range for something, but when the whole picture is looked at, for us it is in fact, not normal. So please take that thought into consideration.

At the first visit, I had many vials of blood taken resulting in 18 pages of lab results, and a one-hour Dr. consultation to interpret and receive a treatment plan.
    It’s possible that due to a person’s medical history, they may have some different tests done.

First Visit Labs (Done by Quest Labs, cost was about $2000 paid for by Medicare)

Test Name (I don’t know what some of the abbreviations stand for):

Comprehensive Metabolic Panel – 17 tests (sodium, potassium, chloride, carbon dioxide, calcium, alkaline phosphatase, AST, ALT, Bilirubin, glucose, urea nitrogen, creatinine, bun/creatine ratio, protein-total, albumin, globulin-calculated, a/g ratio)

CBC w/Diff and Plt – 21 tests (WBC,RBC, hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV, MCH MCHC, RDW, platelet count, platelet sufficienty, neutropyilis-absolute, lymphocytes-absolute, monocytes-absolute, eosinophils-absolute, basopyils-absolute, total neutropyils %, total lymphocytes %, monocytes %, eosinopyils %, basopyils %, RBC morphology)

DHEA Sulfate
    FSH
    Homocysteine, CVD
    LH
    Sex hormone binding globulin
    TSH
    T4, Free
    T3, Free
    Thyroglobulin AB
    Thyroid Peroxidase AB
    Lipoprotein (A)
    Cortisol, Total, Serum
    Magnesium, RBC
    Heavy Metals, Blood (Mercury, Lead, Arsenic)
    Cortisol, Free
    Pregnenolone
    Fibrinogen, QN
    ALK Phosphatase, Bone
    ACTH, Plasma
    IGF Binding Protein-3
    Interferon-Alpha, EIA
    Iron & TIBC, Serum (Iron, TIBC, % Saturation)
    Cardio CRP
    Hemoglobin A1C
    Insulin, Serum
    Vitamin B12, Serum
    Ferritin
    Progesterone
    Estradiol
    EST, Westergren
    PTT
    IGA, Serum
    IGG, Serum
    IGM, Serum
    Folate, RBC
    Thyroid Studies: Triiodothyronine, Reverse
    Somatostatin
    RNASE-L Activity
    NK Cell Activity
    TSH Autoantibody
    T3 Autoantibody
    N-Telopeptide (NTX), Serum
    T4 AB
    VAP TM Cholesterol Test
    Aldosterone, LC/MS/MS
    IGF-1
    Osteocalcin, Human
    TBII
    TBG
    Testosterone, Free/TOT, LC/MS/MS
    Testosterone, %, Free
    Testosterone, Free
    Testosterone, Free/TOT,LC/MS/MS
    Testosterone, Total

Next, as a result of these labs, I was given certain diagnoses, supplements and prescriptions from a compounding pharmacy. I was also sent for a second set of labs. These are mainly the viral, bacterial, and other underlying infections:

Candida albicans panel
    C. Pneumo AB (IGG, A, M)IF
    CMV IGG AB
    CMV IGM AB
    Epstein Barr Virus AB Panel
    Lyme Disease IGG, WB
    M. Pneumoniae (IGG) Titer, IF
    M. Pneumoniae (IGM) Titer, IF
    Babesia
    Coxsacki Type A
    Coxsacki Type B
    EBV Early Antigen
    Echovirus Serum
    Ehrilichia Chaffeenis ABS
    HHV6
    Lyme Disease IGG/IGM
    Nasal Swab for Coag Net Staph
    Poliovirus Type 1-3

Most recently I had another test done for Lyme's disease, the Igenex Western Blot (cost was about $350), which is considered much more accurate than the previous test I had. It came back positive for Lyme Disease.

Out of all of these tests I have been diagnosed with:
    Low T3, very low estrogen, very low progesterone, low pregnenolone (almost none), low cortisol, low testosterone, low DHEA, low WBC, high RNase (indicates infection), very low NK cells (immune system), systemic candidiasis, and Mycoplasma pneunomiae, and now Lyme Disease.

Just sharing this info to show you the scope of testing and the many layers of possible concerns that need to be addressed.

Wishing you good luck in getting the tests you need.
    Take care,
    Hopeful4