How to let others know what ME/CFS is like

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rafiki, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I think I have figured out a way to explain ME/CFS to our family and friends.

It's really very simple and I think it would be very effective. Preparation is important and anyone who loves you should be willing to go without sleep the night before the empathy experience. Sleep should be replaced by 8 hours of unbroken calisthenics... push ups, sit ups, squats, etc. Also, withhold food and water from the intended victim, I mean the loved one, for 24 hours.

Alert them to the impending test at 6 am by blasting a loud horn. It is necessary that they consume 1 litre of strong, black, bowel twisting coffee. Allow them to rest for 20 minutes. (We are not savages, after all.)

Then, when the caffeine hits the neurotransmitters, have them chug a bottle of cheap red wine. Immediately, put them in a chair that swivels and spin them for 5 minutes. Quickly attach low voltage electrical current to various points on their body, speed is more important than location, and give them a lit cigar which they must inhale as rapidly as they can.

Finally, ask them to stand quite still in one place holding 50 lb weights in each hand.

That should do it.

[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2007]
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

As you said. That should do it!!!!
  3. desertlass

desertlass New Member

There are a few additional things I would like to add, since I also have FM along with the M.E./CFS. I think your "preparations" are spot on.

I feel that you have tapped into a market niche. The ME/FM "Empathy Kit"-- complete with all you have mentioned-- that also can be modified as is fitting.

Your partner in crime,
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I invite you to tweak it for FM empathy, please!

We are, indeed, overwhelmed sometimes, aren't we. It ain't easy!

Peace out,

PS Mollystwin,

I want to see you and Dar together!!! Please, oh please, oh please!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/13/2007]
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Rafiki. This should be included in the DSM IV of the American Psychiatric Association.

Or, if not that, then Mad Magazine. I recently read that Mad was the nation's second oldest humor magazine. (Number one is Time.)

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

very good but you've forgotten the terrible muscle pain element .....try 'run over by a truck'

7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

LOL! You are so quick!!!

Rosiebud, I have an idea! What if we have them do calisthenics all night since they're not sleeping? Yeah, that'll do it!

I'm going to amend it.

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

that about describes how I've been feeling lately. I'll have to change the pronouns to "you" and send it to friends and family who are still confused about CFS.
  9. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm so sorry!

Have you made sure you are not harbouring any bacteria anywhere?

I have been looking for you especially near the end of the week when it's game time. I always feel a little sad and worried when you're not up to playing.

Let us assume, for the moment, that it is this awful summer/change to fall and that you will be feeling very much better again when the air is all crisp! Do you live somewhere where the air gets crisp???

Anyway, fingers crossed... eyes, too!

Peace to you,

10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I think I've turned a corner, but I'm improving very slowly. Hopefully, I'll be back to my game-playing self soon (wait, that didn't sound good...)

The nights get quite crisp out here in New Mexico, but not for another month or so. Can't wait for fall: gold cottonwoods, Balloon Fiesta, green chile, snow on the mountains....

How about where you live?
  11. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

Bumping for others to read. Too perfect, Rafiki!