How to lose weight with CFIDS...Soup, Veggies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hollie9, Nov 14, 2009.

1. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

It's so hard to lose weight when one can't exercise like a normal person.

Somebody on this board years ago posted they lost weight by eating veggie soup, don't know if it was for every meal or what.

Anybody, how have you lost weight with this illness, I really need help.

2. victoria

victoria New Member

Low carb is the only thing that helps. I do a low carb count sporadically and only for a week, then keep the carb count low - no sugar, white flour ever (or hardly ever). Cutting those things out permanently really make a difference for me.

I did know someone who was chronically obese but didn't have CF or FM... he'd lose weight by just eating veggies (not legumes) once he realized he could stuff himself with them, emphasizing the green vegetables over everything else.

Soup wouldn't be a bad thing, very filling! And you could puree cooked veggies like zucchini and such, or some potato, to thicken it.

good luck, I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.

all the best,

3. sascha

sascha Member

it's a very intensive program and i couldn't keep up with much of it, but i got the program and stayed with it, and loved it, and lost 30 pounds over 3 months. the food was great. it's low carb, very strict of course, full of good choices. you weigh and measure what you eat- no calorie counting.

i was so proud of myself for losing 30 pounds. i can't exercise at all. i think low carb is easy on the gut. i couldn't go to all the meetings or do all the other program requirements, so stopped the involvement with the group, but i learned a lot about myself and what foods are best for me. i am still over 20 pounds lighter than i was at my heaviest, and i'm maintaining that loss without difficulty. i remain low-carb. still can't exercise at all atall.

it's an amazingly great boost to accomplish dropping weight in the midst of feeling so helpless in other ways. really helped my morale and self-confidence. good luck to you! Sascha
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I agree with the others - low carb is essential. I managed to lose 30 pounds, although it took 4 years, with no exercise because I can't. It was a great morale boost to be able to do it.

Here's what worked for me:

1. No eating after dinner - e.g, no popcorn, no dessert etc. If I get really hungry after dinner, at the most iwll have a handful of nuts or piece of string cheese.

Also, if I crave sugar after dinner, a really good substitute is to have a cup of Good Earth original blend herbal tea - it's spicy and sweet, tastes like a dessert, and has no sugar, no caffeine.

2. Low carb - very little bread, very little rice, no potatoes, no pasta. So for a dinner I might eat a piece of chicken or fish with salad and other veggies. For lunch, salads or soups but always with protein, - cheese, chicken, fish, etc.

I eat protein wtih each meal. For breakfast, I used to eat yogurt a couple of times a week and now am making my own kefir so I drink that instead. I also eat eggs, and peanut butter toast once a week - it's a treat for me. And I do have oat bran cereal once or twice a week.

I do eat between meals, but generally protein-type snacks - almonds, string cheese, or piece of fruit.

No sodas, almost no sugar (e.g., I'll eat fruit, but no cookies or pastries etc.)

And it worked!

One more thing - I had to buy a scale and weigh myself at least every other day. This really helped me see what happened if I deviated from my plan, and also was very encouraging when I started to lose weight.

And, I have maintained this loss. This is just how I eat now, it's not like being on a diet.

Good luck - it is doable -

5. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I'm already eating low carb, a small portion of fish, chicken and small salad. I've been doing this for ages and still gaining weight! I take in about 900-1200 calories a day. I do have a habit of not eating anything until dinner...I have one banana with coffee in the morning...I'm just not hungry.

I've been on Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, liquid protein powder diets, Atkins, and did not lose a pound (everyone who started with me lost weight).

Are you guys considering veggies as carbs?

I'm not obese, about 20 pounds over ideal weight. I do take doxepin which slows metabolism, but I've lost weight while using it before. The times I lost before I took in only 700 calories/day and the other time I built my body up strengthwise with yoga, guess my fat was replaced with muscle.

There was a person on this board who ate only veggies, in the form of soups that lost a lot of weight without much exercise.

I'm now trying to weight train again to build up muscle, but it takes quite a while. Wish I could find that veggie soup diet.

[This Message was Edited on 11/15/2009]
  6. rocky76

rocky76 Member

The Cabbage Soup Diet

Also called "The Dolly Parton diet," for reasons that are shrouded in mystery, this 7-day diet really does work--in the short term, anyway. And there's a great purity to it--especially in the summertime when it's wonderfully refreshing served ice cold. Ingredient proportions can be varied according to your likes and dislikes.

Okay, are you ready? Here we go:

1 head cabbage, shredded or chopped
    2 large onions, chopped
    16-28 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped
    2 green peppers
    4 stalks celery
    1-2 packages Lipton onion soup mix, or any dry onion soup mix (optional)
    black pepper
    any fresh herb(s) of your choice, chopped
    6 carrots, sliced
    1/2 pound green beans, sliced on diagonal
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (optional)
    Put all vegetables in a big pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, stir in the soup mix (if desired), and boil gently for 10 minutes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until all the vegetables are soft. Stir in the black pepper and chopped herbs (saving some for garnish).
    Eat as much of the soup as you like, as often as you like. Drink as much water as you like and non-caloric drinks including coffee, tea, and herbal teas.

Here's what else you can eat, and when:

DAY 1: All fruits except bananas.

DAY 2: All vegetables, raw or cooked. This includes baked potato with a LITTLE butter.

DAY 3: Fruits and vegetables, but no potatoes or bananas.

DAY 4: Bananas and skim milk--eat as many as 8 bananas and drink as many as 8 glasses of skim milk.

DAY 5: Beef, skinless chicken, and/or fish--as much as 20 ounces, total. You can also eat 6 tomatoes. And you must drink 8 glasses of water. Don't forget at least one bowl of soup.

DAY 6: Beef, skinless chicken, or fish and vegetables. Drink 8 glasses of water and eat at least one bowl of soup.

DAY 7: Brown rice, vegetables, and unsweetened fruit juice.

TESTIMONY! If you're interested in going gourmet AND losing weight, try the following suggestions, recommended by Bobbi B. from California: "To make the soup not to eat three times a day; try making the first batch with red onions, red cabbage and red bell peppers, leave it chunky like a minestrone. The second batch make with yellow onions, green cabbage & green bells (I left out the tomatoes in second batch) and pureé it. The taste and texture change makes it so much more palatable. Also, on the skim milk day; add non fat plain yogurt to the soup as one of glasses of milk...tastes wonderful!!! Hey! I lost 10 lbs. in 7 days, I feel great! I can't imagine it not being healthy for you, keep the foods fresh and be creative when you cook."
    Or how about chef Karen Larkin who makes soups from scratch every morning at her McKinleyville, California, café: "I love this diet! It really works! I add a few different herbs and spices to each batch to give it an international twist. For example, I add chopped cilantro, a little chili powder, and cumin to give it a Southwestern flavor; some oregano, basil, and fresh garlic for an Italian taste; a little curry powder mixed into the cooking soup and chopped fresh mint leaves for garnish on top when serving to give it a unique Moroccan flavor; shrimp or fish boullion, a little soy sauce, and some fresh bean sprouts, minus the tomatoes for an exotic Oriental sensation; chanterelle mushrooms and a pinch of thyme and rosemary minus the tomatoes for a wonderful French taste. All very yummy!"

Jane B. says "The version of this that I got had no carrots, green beans, herbs or vinegar. It did have boullion added and the daily instructions were the same. It was called the American Heart Association diet. I was told if you lost less than 17 lbs. in one week you could stay on it. Lost 10 lbs the first week, 7 lbs the second. I've been following it casually since then and have lost a total of 35 lbs so far and feel great - all within about a month and a half time frame."

Natalie : I haved used this soup many times, and lose about 10 pounds each week! My family likes it too, so I add ground beef or diced Chicken to it and we have a meal! It is a great way to clean out your system and make you feel great, if followed correctly! I use it for a week, off a week, on a week, and off a week, and usually can keep the weight off for a year or 2, if I am careful! Just be sure to take your vitamins, and eat all the stuff it calls for...

Alister : Everyone told me I would be listless and low on energy, when in actual fact I felt like all the toxins were being washed out of my system and I was full of energy and alert, I kept riding my bike to work and back every day for 25 km round trip while on the diet and lost 3 kg. I also kept taking Lecithin to clear out cholestrol.

Sherrie variation "Use the original cabbage soup diet recipe for all three meals. Add brown rice,one fry egg to your soup. (EAT IT LIKE IT IS STEW) Do not add any other foods etc. Drink 8 glasses of water, no tea or juice. This really works."

Laurie "You cannot fail to lose weight on this diet (as long as you don't cheat!). I lost 8lbs the first time, then on my second go 5 weeks later, I lost another 7lbs! Providing you don't stuff yourself silly on the first day off the diet, then eat sensibly, there is no reason why you should put the weight back on! Good luck."

Lenia "You may omit the peppers mushrooms also-you may use them otherwise-and use fewer onions to make a lighter soup. Also cutting the cabbage into big chunks makes you feel fuller as you are eating something solid. Also you may add one tablespoon of non fat grinded hard cheese on top of every plateful just before consumption, for variation. And yes it tastes great and you still lose the weight.I also agree that yogurt makes it much better in taste. On the fruit day I make a nice big fruit salad with a little orange juice and consume it the whole day. On the vegetable day I saute the vegetables in a non stick pan and add a little soya sauce to fool myself I am eating chinese. I use light margarine for the baked potato_On the banana and milk day I make nice banana milk shakes in a shaker and add a little sweetener if the bananas are not sweet enough.On the beef day I eat a little mustard with the steaks or make a sauce with mustard and mushrooms too since I do not use them in the soup. Yes I too lost 9 pounds on it. And it is not that difficult either with the above recommendations. It is imperative that you have one multivitamin a day , plus one water soluble vitamin C whenever you feel light headed.It really helps the energy levels. All the above make the diet easier to follow and the results are drastic. It motivates me also to go on a better and more nutritional diet the week after. I feel that it is good for me as I do not consume any meats for the first 4 days of the diet. Good luck to all."
  7. rocky76

rocky76 Member

This diet was given to me by my Doctor to loose weight before surgery....

He said 15 pounds in a week and thats what happened.....

I use a big can of V8 juice in mine and no lipton soup.....

Now I'm going to get a head of cabbage tomorrow....

8. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I will try it.

I did a search for Barrowinnovations or Catseye, who lost weight and kept it off on her veggie diet. I copied all posts of eating.

She seems to be eating no gluten or any breads, no dairy, beans, eggs, chicken, lots of veggies, brown rice, salads.

I can't find her initial weight loss soup recipe, probably much like the soup recipe you posted.

This will be hard on my husband!

9. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

I am usually 30, 40 lbs too much... I tried a raw/ living foods regimen.. (at a place that does it ) I lost it all plus, and felt great. I wish I had will power and ability to do it at home.. not an advert. good therapy ! ! !
  10. anchor

anchor Member

wow....15 pounds in one week...amazing.

who wouldn't want that? it was helpful to read the variations.

thanks. i am heading to the store now.
  11. simonedb

simonedb Member

hey thanks rocky, this is cool!
  12. anchor

anchor Member

hi -

okay, so it is all now in my crockpot slow cooking!!

smells delicious already.

13. rocky76

rocky76 Member

Let me know if this works in a crock pot...

or did you cook the cabbage on the stove before you put it in the crock pot....

I always saute the vegies and boil the cabbage then
    put it in the crock pot...

I'm going to store to get everything I need...

Dont forget to weight your self before and after...

YUMMY.....can't wait....or is that can't weight....
  14. anchor

anchor Member

well....i am not much of a cook, so just threw all raw veggies the crockpot - set it and forget it!!

it cooked on low for 8 hours....and just had it for lunch...very good. i am trying to follow the plan you wrote: just soup and fruit far i feel good.

would love to be 10-15 pounds lighter before traveling to see's just be great to have a jumpstart on this.

thanks again.
  15. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I understand the frustration with weight that these illnesses can cause. I really do.......but, these are NOT safe ways to lose weight short term, let alone for the long term......when you eat too little, your body slows down the metabolism, besides, so eventually it stops losing and you have to eat less and less to even maintain the same if you lose weight quickly initially on a diet like this, most of what you lose is water weight and muscle (your body literally will start eating its own muscle in order to survive)

plus, when you are sick (chronic or otherwise) you're body NEEDS more nutrition, not less (this does not mean that you have to pig out, but it does mean that only eating the cabbage soup diet or even only eating all forms of veggies is not going to provide the necessary are just asking to get even sicker if you do this for any length of time....and many of us already have problems with properly digesting food, which means we have to be even more careful to get enough nutrients

and starvation diets (which these are) can lead to eating disorders (even if you start out thinking you are far away from that mentality; they have proven that the way that the body and mind are affected by eating too little for too long does change the way that people respond to food in such a way that it frequently leads to eating disorders.....and trust me, you do not want that - they are very hard to beat and hellish to live with)

plus, if you eat so little for any length of time and then try to add more food back to your diet, it can lead to really awful stomach distress.....and quickly regaining the weight, too
  16. anchor

anchor Member

well....i understand what you are saying, thanks for the concern.

however, i dont have any muscle left....this disease(s) took care of that.

17. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

My soup is not very good, next time I'm not going to add the vinegar...way too strong.

Also could not find the Lipton soup...did any of you?

About health concerns...I have no options after trying EVERY other supposedly healthy diet. I'm even strength training 3 days a week to build musle.

I figure since my calorie burning is so low from laying around so much, that I have more need to lower calories than a normal person. And there are people on the board who eat mostly all vegetables and it has helped them feel better.

I was anorexic years ago for a short time, with I could get it back!

[This Message was Edited on 11/16/2009]
  18. anchor

anchor Member

hi hollie.

i used V8 and thought that this was a better alternative.

try it again...
  19. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I know what you mean about this disease taking away muscle, but you still have to have some for your body to function at all, even if it is not toned (your heart is muscle, for that matter).....anyway, regardless, when you are not healthy, it becomes all the more important to take in enough nutritious food and not to try to exist on tiny amts
  20. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

yes we do burn off a lot less calories when we are inactive, but we still do burn off some - even a person in a coma requires more than you are talking about simply to exist, and when we are sick, we need to be extra conscious about taking in enough nutrients to try to stay as healthy as we can

I say this with caring concern, so please don't take it as an attack, but honestly, some of the things that you have said about your eating and exercising habits and the fact that you seem to place weight far above health, make it seem that you still have an anorexic mindset & a borderline eating disorder.....though you cannot actually be anorexic and overweight, it is possible to have disordered eating and still be overweight....and if you have a history of anorexia, it is also easier to get sucked back in....despite your joke, I don't want to see that happen - anorexia is a serious, sometimes fatal disorder (& not something to wish for)

I understand that weight is important, I have struggled with this issue myself quite a lot, but being as healthy as possible should be more do not want to make yourself get even sicker (& besides if you do get sicker, then you will inevitably wind up being even less active than you are now and the end result will be more weight gain, not weight even if you don't care about health, you will be shooting your weight loss efforts in the foot, so to speak)

someone, I think it was caledonia, made some good suggestions re things to get tested for.....they can make a very big difference in weight and are possible to fix....working with a nutritionist or dietitian could also be very helpful