how to make saucer size cookies? need help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Asatrump, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

We have a local bakery that makes huge chocolate chip cookies. They charge $1.50 for each cookie. They are moist and at least 6" in diameter. I thought they would make nice gifts......I could use that press and seal to keep them fresh and then wrap in cellophane paper with a ribbon. Not a huge gift but just a tiny one that says: thinking of you.

I have air bake pans. Do I need a special recipe other than the one on the back of the chocolate chips?

Need directions, thought maybe someone here has made them or had some suggestions.

Thank you.
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I don't know this for sure, but this is what I'm suggesting.

Once you put the batter on the cookie sheet, PRESS the dough down so the cookies have an easier time spreading. (this also helps the perimeter not get over-done while the center is still baking.) I always do this with chocolate chip cookies.

This is the other thing that I haven't tried, but would give it a whirl--

I'd add a little extra LIQUID to the recipe so the dough isn't as stiff. I think the cookie would spread further with a little added liquid.

I've been told that Crisco will give you a moister, less crumbly cookie than butter.

I'd also take out of oven when almost done, then allow them to remain on the cookie sheet for a minute or two before removing them from the sheet. That gives them a chance to slightly harden up before you remove them from the pan.

Another thing I'd probably recommend is parchment paper. I LOVE that stuff. You can reuse the paper to put the next batch on to bake. This paper makes it very easy to remove cookies from sheet. I usually use two cookie sheets with parchment paper on them. While one is in the oven, I'm preparing the other cookie sheet. Sometimes, I have to run water over the bottom of the cookie sheet to get it room temperature. You don't want to be putting new cookie dough on a hot or very warm cookie sheet. That would lead to cookies not baking evenly across the pan.
  3. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I appreciate the ideas. I think I would need a recipe with perhaps some oatmeal added to keep a 6" cookie together. I am afraid the edges will be thin and it will break?

The cookies I bought were perfectly shaped 6" round, the same thickness.

Perhaps this is a bakery store secret.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

My DH keep telling me about these cookies he used to make that used a mold when baking. You made the dough, filled the mold, and baked them. Came out perfectly and sound like what you get from a bakery.

I just remembered this when I saw this post again today...where is my brain?

Anyway, just my two cents...!

5. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Sue....... we just went out to lunch with the couple that introduced us to those 6" cookies. We talked about it and also got the idea some kind of mold or frame probably was used.

As we left the restaurant we watched a woman with a press. Put a lump of pie dough, then pressed and voila a bottom pie crust perfectly crimped.

My wheels are now spinning..... I wonder if the round insert from a small size electric burner might work. My stove has two pieces, the drip pan and the round edge on the top. Maybe that top round edge?

But I still wonder if possibly some small amount of oatmeal would be used for texture in the cookie and possibly some sour cream for moist?

All ideas welcome here.
  6. hurt_allover

hurt_allover New Member

use the chocolate chip recipe you find on the back of the nestle tollhouse chocolate chip bags. Then once you have your cookie dough ready get an ice cream scoop and scoop a ball of it out place it on wax paper then, take a sauser/dinner plate holding it right side up smack the cookie ball with it to get the desired thickness and roundness. You wont have to wack it hard but might have to wack it a couple of times to get it right. place them on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet and bake them according to the package directions. take out of oven and place on a wire rack to cool. if you want moist soft cookies dont cook them as long as the bag tells you too take off a min or two or three. I personally would cook one cookie first to confirme the texture and time that way you wont wreck the whole batch.
    The moist cookies will look pale (Top and bottom) not golden brown as they do when they are cooked the regular cooking time sugested on the package.
    if you still have trouble with the edges take a small bowl and flip it up side down and use it as your cookie cutter.
    you can also crimp the edges of your cookies with a large fork.

I hope this makes since and helps you..I may have missed the whole point of your question..fog day!
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

If I used it, I would make sure it was the quick cooking. That's my thought on that part.

I would definitely PAM the sides of the mold...were the cookies a consistent height or were they slightly raised in the middle?

Sounds fun to me. The one problem would be getting the middle cooked before the edges browned too much...even with a mold, I think. I would think you would have to turn the oven down...but not too much.

Hey, I think I'm out of my league here. My brain isn't working well. The stove thing might work and with the air pan it might help...but I still don't know about the temp or time or anything. I know when I bake cc cookies dough as a bar, the sides simply get darker than the middle. Don't know how to stop that.

Babbling here...I'll stop.

Let me know how it goes.

8. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I laughed reading the responses..... I know if I use the normal chocolate chip recipe the edges will be thinner. The cookies I bought were consistent thickness, texture and perfectly shaped.

We need a baker on board here! I am not it....
  9. budmickl

budmickl New Member

She is great baker! She sells cookies on Ebay and some of us know first hand how delicious they are!

You might change the title of your post to include her name or make a new post to her attention.

Good luck!

Actually, after reading your question, I have decided I'm going to try making some of them too. Only I have small individual spring pans (mini-cheese cake pans) that I'm going to use. That way they will all be the exact same size.

If you use some kind of mold like that, you can wrap the outside of the bake ware with a damp strip of cloth towels. This makes the batter cook more evenly.

10. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

If you try them, let me know. I have only a large spring form pan.

Now I can't get a stupid cookie out of my head... tee hee , would make a fool of myself tomorrow driving to the other side of the city just to buy a cookie I had a real craving for!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2007]
  11. sues1

sues1 New Member

try strips of foil on the edges........also same if pie edges do not get too brown, too quick.

Please post what you find out, in experimenting. You have all of us interested.........Susan