How to proceed with getting disability retirement?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Oct 30, 2005.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I'm 59 years old now and looking more and more forward to not working so that my body can be more at rest and not exhausted. My husband and I talked on the way home from my parents tonight. We also talked with my parents about my retirement in July 2006, and the possibility of residing with them while my husband finishes the remainder of one year working, or until he can retire. Staying with them in the area of my husband's work until we are able to move to our home in UT would definitely save on rent or rental space for our trailer in CA. Love my parents, but this would be difficult - not as bad as the 28 ft trailer we've been staying in over these past 6 months.

My retirement will be a penance as I would be retiring early. We'd have to then wait about 5 years before I would be able to collect Social Security. The goal would be to move to our home after my hubby retires. Just don't know if we can do all this financially. More to the point, I'm really feeling more and more that I physically just cannot go to work and finish a day without totally collapsing after work. There is no option, I cannot work part time in my current position as supervisor, and to be realistic, there is no way that I could do anything else in the area of my profession as a nurse.

Our discussion with my parents evolved into the possibility of me applying for state disability before actually retiring, taking a year so that I could max out the disability insurance that I have carried for years, and then possibly start receiving federal SSDI. If I could get Social Security disability early for my physical problems/health problems, that would help us to get to our goal of retirement.

My question is, how do I start the process? I am really exhausted and wonder if I have the energy to actually proceed with something that will be more exhausting . . the inability to concentrate or remember is horrible, the fatigue is outrageous, and I'm still running on will and sheer determination and I am very close to a collapse. That scares me. Any suggestions / help would be great.

2. shellyruth

shellyruth New Member

I don't have an answer to the question, but my sympathy is with you. I'm also a 53 yr. old nurse, will be retiring to Utah, and am currently on LTD disability through my work. I have Lupus, Sjogrens, and Fibro. The fatigue was so bad I could only work and sleep.
    For you to get started on your journey, I think the Doctor has to say you are disabled and cannot work. Then you start what I have heard to be an incredibly painful process of applying for SSI. Here are 2 websites, maybe they can help you. Best of luck to you!

http://www.social-security-disability-claims.org/ http://groups.msn.com/SocialSecurityDisabilityCoalition
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you need to have a doctor say you will be off work for at least 12 months or longer.

then you need to call and file ssdi claim. you and do it over the computer some people don't reccomend it. just don't have a enuff time to complete it i guess.

yo ohave your age going on your time. and you can file for sdi if you work in california...

but look up disabilitysecrets.com to get information and look on our site under disability at the top of page here//

jodie
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I appreciate the ideas and websites to check out.

I think one of my problems is that I don't like the idea of going to my doctor and asking for her to take me off work . . this despite the fact that I'm again "collapsing" tonight after I write this message of thanks to the both of you. I am soooooo tired, that achy, miserable, sick type of tired. Go figure - afraid to approach the doc when I feel this way?

I appreciate the support here on this issue. It's about the only place that I feel "safe" touching on it outside of my home with my husband. Thanks again.

L, Jeannette