How to stop a non-stop thinking brain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LISALOO, Jan 10, 2010.

LISALOO New Member

If I had an off-switch for my brain I would be so happy. My brain will never stop. It's never quiet.

Most of the time it repeats the same things (a lot of it negative). I can repeat positive affirmations, try to read, watch tv, eft, nothing stops it.

It's gotten so much worse since I got sick. Meditating is horrible. I think about all the things that I need to do, or something random always pops in my head. Really weird things. I've tried classes on quieting the mind, nothing. I can't even concentrate on my breathing or a mantra.

What can I do to stop this? Any suggestions helpful! I remember dating my husband and asked him a couple of times, "What are you thinking about?" And he was always like, "Nothing." I was like how is that possible?
  2. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Not much advise, but I know axactly what you mean, my brain NEVER shuts down. One of the mian reasons, I don't sleep. Wishing you luck!

3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

This is usually caused by aspartame, sodium benzoate, MSG and a variety of other junk in our foods. You need to go on a bland diet for a week, like just baby foods and you should notice a huge difference in it. The combo of sodium benzoate and MSG can cause weird thoughts, bad thoughts, racing brain. Aspartame can definitely cause racing brain. Look at what you are eating and drinking, see if you can change it.
  4. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

Get either Klonopin or Xanax?

Xanax is the only way I can fall asleep. It takes about 20 minutes of a
    still-racing brain, and I do meditate on the same visual and keep going
    back to it until the Xanax kicks in.

Klonopin is highly recommended by Dr. Cheney, and he has said we
    should all be taking it to protect our brains. Maybe you could try it?

This is one of the most horrible and unrecognized symptoms of
    CFS and FM; I know, I have both, and my grdau does also. It is
    very hard to control, but I find that lots of rest, and sleep if at all
    possible, does help.

I know what you mean by saying how can someone not be
    thinking of something all the time, LOL. I have known people like
    that and it always astounds me! Oh, to be like them for just a
    week, right?

Take care of you and let us know if you find something that helps,

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

l-theanine is an amino acid which is great for calming the brain, helps with excitotoxicity (sp?) It helps the brain produce GABA, a calming neurotransmitter, and also helps the brain produce alpha waves. I think it's much safer than klonopin or xanax, no risk of dependency. You can get it at any health food store or on-line. The Japanese spike some products with it because it produces a state of calm alertness.

Also, have you had your cortisol levels checked? If your cortisol is chronically high (as mine was), it can cause chronic hyperarousal. A good test for this is the Adrenal Stress Index Test, any doctor can order it. If your cortisol levels are high, then Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) works great to lower them. It's non-prescription. I took it for several years with very good resuts and no bad side effects. Actually at one point I started getting extra tired and then realized I had to cut the dose of Seriphos as my cortisol levels had come down.

Many people with CFS have low cortisol, but there's a definite group that has high. So you should be tested before trying the Seriphos in case your cortisol is low.

6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

My mind NEVER stops, which is why I wake up exhausted in the morning. My sleep study showed that my brain was awake all night. and the doctor said this is very common with fibromyalgia.

Sue in Ontario
  7. sascha

sascha Member

the phrase "excitatory neurotoxicity" is perfect to describe what goes on with me, and many with cfids/fm. sensory input becomes too much very quickly and easily at times. by 'too much,' i mean i go down and have to recover.

interesting you are using eft. i'm working with it, too. one thing Gary Craig brings up time and time again, is possible toxins blocking eft's effectiveness. he lists common ones, like wheat, corn (someone mentioned that on on this thread), sugar, chemical sensitivities to things like perfumes, cleaning products... i can't off-hand remember the rest on his list- just that if you are sensitive to something, it can stop eft from working until that item is eliminated.

another source of great insight, comfort, and inspiration for me is Eckhart Tolle audio CDs. the set i have is titled, 'The Eckhart Tolle Audio Collection' and contains 3 titles/7 CDs. i play it in my car a lot of the time.

his entire focus is on stilling the mind, finding the silence. he went through major experience (was suicidal, miserable) and found out how to get out of the constraints of our constantly chattering mind. says now (in an interview) he has gotten rid of 80% of his thought processes. he exists in the now (major point of his teachings) where all the potent life force and energies lie. i love listening to him, and he has lots of insights and helpful hints on how to quiet ourselves down and get out of our own way.

so there are a couple of things that came to me after reading your post. i hope you make progress- i hope I AM making progress!! i'm working on it. i love the combination of eft with Eckhart Tolle's input. best to you in your quest- Sascha
  8. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

lisaloo, I was up all of last night with the same thing!! It is so frustrating. Especially when you know you could probably fall asleep otherwise.

I try the old stand-by of a warm and relaxing bath....maybe a mild lavender scented candle and just try to quiet my thought as best I can. Sometimes it does work...last night I had three baths and didn't fall asleep until 8am.

9. munch1958

munch1958 Member

After getting the right amount of hormones, abx, anti-fungal and antiviral treatment for underlying infections and correcting vitamin deficiencies. I also had a LEAP test and cut out all of the foods that I was allergic too. Lots of work involved with the approach but an overactive brain can be shut off.

LISALOO New Member

I get a clean diet, no additives, etc, so I'm good there. No allergy foods from Leap testing. On anti-fungals, so hopefully that will help (have before, but my candida blood numbers never moved, trying homeopathy along with other treatments)

I am on Klonopin, so I will try some of the supplements you listed. Thanks!

I wake up thinking, and don't stop all day!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2010]

LISALOO New Member

I did quit EFT because it didn't seem to be working, so it's interesting that you think it may be toxins blockin the effectiveness. I'm off wheat and corn allergies, etc. I'll have to see what else he says.