How to survive while waiting for disability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tinaeve, Jan 2, 2003.

1. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

Any help in surviving financially while trying for disabitity? I am afraid to try for fear of losing my home.I live in Indiana.
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Hi! I also live in Indiana, near Indianapolis. Where are you guys?

Annette2
  3. PEANUTS50

PEANUTS50 New Member

Hi! I applied last year and got it within 4 weeks! Now I know mine may have been an unusual case, but you never know. It all depends who the judge is and what kind of mood they are in that day. I also think it has alot to do with how you fill out your papers. I am a nurse, so knew they wanted details. I went into every detail. From how long I was on my feet in an 8 hour period, to how long I sat, how much paperwork I had to deal with during my shift. We had the old fashioned oxygen tanks and had to roll them into the rooms ourselves and when they were empty, we had to take the old tank off, which was a 2000# tank on a dolly and put a new one on. I also told them how many hours during my shift I pushed a med. cart and treatment cart. I left nothing out. The more info. you can give them, the better! Good luck and God bless you.
    DONNA
  4. Suzie113

Suzie113 New Member

someone had told me once that they knew of a person who still worked while applying for his disability? I had never heard of anyone doing this before, has anyone else? It would be the best way to apply, that way, even though you may be miserable while working and waiting, you could still provide for yourself and your family. The judicial system seems to take its sweet time when granting people that have worked all their lives their disability, the poster above who got hers in only 4 weeks is really rare, or it is in the state I live in which is Virginia. There are so many people around me who could be working, who are in great condition, but are just to lazy to do it, and guess what? They are on SSI. It makes me mad every day that I have to go to work to support them, when I am in the shape I am in, and they run the roads all day, either on their Harley's, 4 wheelers, or of course in the summer, on their boats and jet skis!!!!!!!!! Seems like the system doesn't work for most of us like it does others! But to get off my soap box, if anyone else has heard of people working while applying, please post it, I am really interested in hearing from you all. God Bless you all and have a wonderful day!
  5. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

You are able to work somewhat. There is an exact amount that you can make and still be eligible for Disability. It is listed under the SS Disability web sights. I know my friend from out of state applied, she was denied and got upset with it so went back to work full time. it is about killing her too. But she just was awarded Disability. I don't know that she even sent in for the reconsideration or not. But she is really mad about it. They are giving her the 9 month trial work period and if she can't handle it she is able to draw Disability. I know that when I applied on my first round they said that it is better to try then not at all. At least this way you are making an attempt. But you know i think these people will tell you anything too.
    But there are web sights that are full of info on this matter. Hope this helps you.
    Good luck.
  6. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

Hi all,
    i am new to the boards so bear with me.Am looking for a support group in my area.Seems like this weather in making me soo much worse.I have to work in a factory on the graveyard shift.This is depressing al by itself,not to mention the pain.I am so thankful to have found people like you who understand and help with info.