How to take d-ribose for energy - it really works!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Jun 1, 2010.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

A doctor told me recently that because d-ribose has a very short half-life, it needs to be taken throughout the day. As most of you know, d-ribose is one of the building blocks of ATP, energy currency.

Her recommendation is:

1/2 tsp. with breakfast (with coffee or tea is great as it works better with caffeine)
    1/2 tsp. mid-morning
    1/2 tsp. with lunch
    1/2 tsp. mid-afternoon
    1/2 tsp. with dinner
    1/2 tsp. before bed. Sometimes I miss a dose but it’s okay.

I also take 1/2 tsp. before breakfast.

The big thing is my overall energy has increased - not spectacularly, but slow and steady, it’s great. I have more stamina.

I’d already been taking d-ribose for about 3 years and noticed a boost in the beginning but it wore off, but I continued to take it. However, I was taking 1 scoop in the morning and once in a great while 1 scoop at lunch and that was it. One scoop (from the 300 g. jar sold by Swanson’s and Vitacost) equals 2 teaspoons, so the above daily regimen uses 1-1/2 scoops. The doctor recommends that I work up to 15 grams (3 scoops) a day, which I’ll do.

I’ve been doing this regimen now for about 10 days and so far so good. It really is making a difference. I am so pleasantly surprised! I did crash once near the beginning, but it was lighter than my other crashes. I’m still pacing myself, I’m sure I’d still crash if I over did it, but I’m able to do more, and just feel better, more like a human being.

Also (and this should be self-evident but I just did not realize it until the doctor pointed it out) the d-ribose is providing energy to all bodily systems so they are all going to work better. I had only been thinking in terms of feeling better, getting a little more energy. But it means it should strengthen my immune system, my heart, etc. - everything.

I wish I had know this 3 years ago! But better late than never –

2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Mary.

It's great to hear that D-ribose is helping you!

As you may know, some people have reported that it has helped them as well, while others have reported that it hasn't, or has worsened their condition. This has been kind of puzzling to me.

Recently, Dr. Sarah Myhill noted that the results of taking D-ribose depend on the condition of the digestive system. She said that if the digestive system is fermentative (that is, dominated by dysbiotic bacteria that ferment foods) D-ribose will not be helpful, and in fact will feed these dysbiotic bacteria.

I would be interested to know how your gut is doing. If it is in good condition, I think that would be consistent with what Dr. Myhill has said.

Best regards,

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

my gut is a complete mess and D-ribose still helps me....actually it has been about the only thing that has consistently helped me, though my overall health has continued to worsen

I do have to say that it seemed to help more back when my gut was not as messed up, though....and the really weird thing about that is that my gut was actually pretty much ok UNTIL I tried taking probiotics (should never have listened to the person who insisted that I try them.....long story there - not referring to anyone on here, btw)......I know it sounds crazy, but taking probiotics started a downward spiral with my gut issues that I cannot figure out how to fix (at the time that was the only thing that changed and since then things have become so bad I am extremely limited as to which foods I can still eat & my stomach is always upset, nauseous, etc)
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Dr. T recommends three scoops per day to start and then after three weeks going down to two scoops per day.

I didn't notice any difference myself when using d-ribose. I still have about five containers of it left and should use it up. I have so many supplements that I've purchased over the years that haven't worked and are sitting in a cupboard waiting to be used up or thrown out. [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2010]
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

First, Sarah Myhill is the doctor recommending the d-ribose. I didn't mention her name in my original post because I did not want to stir up any controversy, just hoped people would take the information. I still hope they take the information and try it.

I was able to do her mitochondrial testing - had to send blood samples to Great Britain. So she wrote a very detailed letter interpreting the tests (16 pages). I still need to go over it more.

According to her and another doctor, my gut is not in very good shape. But I've been taking extra hydrochloric acid 1/2 hours before meals for several weeks, and then pancreatic enzymes after meals, and also a good probiotic and I think it's improving. So actually your comment makes me think my gut is better than it was, as I do do better wtih the d-ribose.

It's a little ironic of course because today I am crashed - I felt pretty good yesterday, better than usual, and went swimming, so am paying for it now. I had been hoping that crashes were a thing of the past ....

Also, she wants me to take 300 mg. of CoQ10 a day. I've never noticed a difference when taking CoQ10 so stopped it (after taking it for a long time) but I've never taken 300 mg. a day either. My CoQ10 levels were in the normal range, but at the very bottom and she wants them higher. ANd she had other suggestions as well.

I think in a few months it would be good to do the comprehensive gut analysis (whatever it's called). Hopefully it's improving!

Nice to hear from you -

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You are welcome! It will be interesting to see if you notice a difference when taking it all day -

7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Sorry to hear about the probiotics! That's not good. Do you take hydrochloric acid for digestion or digestive enzymes? My doctor in West Los Angeles told me to take HCL 1/2 an hour before meals - I had no idea I was supposed to do that, was taking it w/ meals. Also I had to increase my dose. And then take pancreatin at the end of the meal.

Have you seen an integrative medicine doc? or had the comprehensive stool analysis done by Great Smokies lab? You really shouldn't be nauseous all the time. and I'll suggest one more time (though no one ever seems to do it) seeing a chiro who does muscle testing, which helped me with many many digestive problems.

Take care -

8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Maybe it would work better if you took it in smaller doses throughout the day, like Dr. Myhill suggested. It didn't help me taking two large scoops a day, I only noticed a difference with the 6 or 7 small doses (1/2 tsp. every couple of hours). (At least it doesn't go bad on your shelf!)

9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I'll have to try taking the smaller doses and see if that makes a difference.

10. Amyiable

Amyiable New Member

I took Corvalen brand years ago, and agree that it works. After a few months I seemed to acclimate to it. Daily use diminished it's effectiveness for me, so I switched to periodic use.

Eventually I switched to inosine, the active ingredient, because it is much less expensive. I use about 1-2 times per week. Dr. Teitelbaum used it in a study, but I don't know how long that study lasted. I might be the only one who can't use it all the time.