How to talk to a Doctor about possible CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shaz73, Dec 28, 2010.

1. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

I post here now and again, but look at the board most days. For many years I have believed that I am suffering from CFS but have seldom made doctors aware of my concerns - for couple of reasons really: fear that they will dismiss my concerns (which HAS happened once or twice), and not having the energy to fight them. Battling with fatigue on a daily basis is frustrating enough without having to fight for recognition of your condition.

Now I have recently changed doctors and so far have not brought up my concerns, although I would really like to as I like this doctor and he SEEMS to have an open minded approach. But where do you start?! I have an appointment this morning as have had a cold for over a month and now am left with sinus problems and a very sore throat/cough. I am going to mention that I have a sore throat almost CONSTANTLY...

I don't want to hit him with a whole list of symptoms on one appointment but at a loss as how to go forward with this. Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Shaz
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think it is helpful for you and your doc if you list your symptoms. I do for my docs. You can search online for symptoms which are consistent with CFIDS. The first one is extreme fatigue lasting six months or more. Chronic sore throat is another. CFIDS is often triggered by an infection which can go chronic, and stealth, in our bodies if it isn't addressed when it first strikes.

Mine was triggered by a mycoplasma infection. I was given antibiotics but at the time, no one knew it takes six months, at least, on the antibiotics to drive the mycoplasmas into remission. Lyme is a lot like this. We can also suffer from chrinic viral infections, often in the Herpes Family: EBV, CMV, HHV6, etc. Some have systemic yeast infections. I'm sorry if this seems overwhelming but it's important to getting help. Try to remember whether you got some kind of infection before the fatigue began.

There is a ton of info on the various treatments here, as you know since you've been reading posts. No one thing seems to work for everyone so finding what helps is often a matter of trial and elimination.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how this doc reacts.

Love, Mikie
  3. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Can I ask what EBV and CMV are? Viruses I assume...

I had glandular fever when I was nineteen and havent really had as much energy since then (I am now 37!). Have had chronic problems with sinus's for many years, which was put done to infections but antibiotics did nothing so dont often bother to go to docs about it. The other day the doctor checked to see if there was any infection, there wasnt, but nasal passages are inflamed. This may be making my throat worse. The doctors surgery was pretty busy so I didnt get into my other CFS concerns that time.

Jaminhealth - just wanted to let you know that I find your posts very interesting, informative and helpful. Keep up the good work!

Happy new year, Shaz
  4. Straightarrow

Straightarrow New Member