How to tell if it's a "Deep Sleep" RX??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Feb 18, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've been on several different ones, but know I stay in Stage 3 (dream state).

Anyone figured out how you can find out if one gives you Stage 4??

e.g. Naltrexone; trazadone; flexeril?????

Thanks & LIGHT***********carole
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

There are four levels of non-REM -- stages 1 and 2, and stages 3 and 4. These last two are considered 'deep sleep'. Dreaming can actually happen at any level, but mostly, dreaming happens during REM, which is a separate stage of sleep. So if you are dreaming all the time, you are probably not at stage 3.

The only way to know for sure if you are reaching stages 3/4 sleep is if you have a sleep study while you are on your medication. You can also trying doing some heavy research. I know that, for instance, the 3rd edition of 'Sleep Medicine' (a medical textbook) has a chapter on the effects of several different medications. Perhaps you can also find something online if you look hard enough.

On the other hand, when I was taking Xyrem, I have NO DOUBT that I was hitting the deep stuff -- I could make it all the way through the day on 7 hours of sleep and not even think about needing a nap!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/18/2006]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

people w/ CFS have brain waves like they are awake, even tho they are asleep. In other words, they are not getting restful sleep.

I wake up feeling rested about one day a year, so I suspect I'm not getting the quality of sleep I need.
  4. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I have taken Elavil, generic Amitriptiline, for 17 years or so. It gets me to the non dream stage sleep I do not go into naturally. It is also non addictive.
    There is a weight gain issue with this drug but I have managed to nullify these effects by taking it right before bed. No time for the drug to give me cravings.
    Not all drugs are right for everyone but this one has helped me for many years.
    A
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Well, if my neurofeedback doesn't calm that part of my brain, guess I'll be doing the trial 'n error again.

So frustrating!!

Thanks & LIGHT************carole
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

I'm curious too. My son just started for ADD two weeks ago. Can you tell us how long you've been doing it and what your sessions are like?
  7. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've been doing it lx/week for about 3 months. At first, she was "overstimulating" me; thus not helping. Then 2 weeks ago, she did "one second", and bingo we're on the right track, as all my symptoms improved (except my insomnia).

This therapy is totally non-invasive. She just clips these soft wires on your ear & attaches it to whatever point on your head is needed to change your brain chemistry.

You need to have a QEEG Brain Map done to show specifically what your chemistry is doing.

ADD kids have been doing the EEG brain map & then biofeedback, which is a little different, but has been very successful.

The most important thing is to make sure you get a very experienced therapist. The first one I went to made one of my eyes twitch. But my present one finally figured out the way to stop it.

Unfortunately, there are very few around, as it's so new & non-traditional.

LIGHT*************carole

Google neurofeedback & QEEG.....tons of info
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

I'll have to ask my son's therapist about that.

My son's time has him hooked up similar to what you describe. The machine monitors his brain waves -- specifically beta vs. theta proportion. Everytime he is going through the various exercises and he manages to have his beta waves dominate for 1/2 second, there's a 'beep' and he gets a point toward the the 'rewards closet'.

The usual total score for a session is 125 to 150. Last week my son had an earache and sinus thing going, so I gave him a dose of pseudophedrine to dry him up. As this is a stimulant, he managed 200 points! No wonder his teaches commented on his focus that week!

It's very interesting to see what circumstances my son manages well in vs. not. His brainwaves are under the ADD cutoff for relaxation and computer gaming (go figure), and he is just over the cutoff for reading; however, make him do something physical, and his brain just goes haywire! No wonder he can't remember all the steps in what we tell him to do -- he forgets as soon as he moves to go and do them!