How well do hand held massagers or hot tubs work for those of you

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Jan 24, 2003.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

who have fibromyalgia. My husband got me a hand held massager for Christmas. It has different heads you can put on it. Some of them look like they would be a little too rough for me, so for now I am just using the most gentle one and only using it for a few minutes at a time. But I'm afraid to use it too often in case it might increase my pain. It feels good while I am using it, though.

I am also wondering if anyone has tried those things (can't think of the name-my brain is dead today) people put in the bottom of their bathtubs and it's like being in a hot tub with the bubbles and moving water.

I'd appreciate any input-thanks.
  2. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

HI the bubble spas really did not do it for me. They were more of a hasle then anything. I had the mat one where it laid on the bottom and blew bubbles. well it blew cold bubbles. I also had the one that you attach to the side of the tub and unless you are about 60 lbs it is useless. I am a small person and hated it. You have to lay on your side to get any effect. I now have a whirlpool bath tub and that of course is the best. Nothing compares to it.
  3. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

Well, I found it usually to be too rough-once in awhile it's OK. You have to experiment with it...........I do not have the spa you put in the tub, but some like it and some don't. Some bad points is,it takes a lot of water, and you can't keep it in once you are finished using it. It doesn't stay hot ,unless you keep putting hot water in. I want a spa really bad-free standing-inside. I want enough room for 2 or 3 people so it can be more of a social experience-music candles. Relaxation is certainly something we need!! I would love to get in for a few min. in the morning and before bed.
  4. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

Well, I found it usually to be too rough-once in awhile it's OK. You have to experiment with it...........I do not have the spa you put in the tub, but some like it and some don't. Some bad points is,it takes a lot of water, and you can't keep it in once you are finished using it. It doesn't stay hot ,unless you keep putting hot water in. I want a spa really bad-free standing-inside. I want enough room for 2 or 3 people so it can be more of a social experience-music candles. Relaxation is certainly something we need!! I would love to get in for a few min. in the morning and before bed.
  5. Fireball

Fireball New Member

I would like to know if hot tubs are ever covered by insurance for fibromyalgia patients. I would love to
    purchase a fairly large one for inside use but do not know what kind to buy. I take hot baths several times a day in a regular bathtub and it seems to relieve the pain a lot. Would like to hear from others if hot tubs are worth the money. I don't think that I could make myself go outside though to use one.
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

homedics hand-held massager that my granddaughters call "E.T. the extraterrestrial" It looks just like him when you hold it!!!This thing RULES!! It is heavy, but I can use it myself on my neck and parts of my back because of the way it is made. The speeds are variable and I just love it! I'd love it if my hubby would use it on me, but he always wants me to massage him afterward and by that time I am as loose as a goose and like spaghetti noodles! It is counterproductive to do that right after MY massage!!! Maybe alternating days would help! homedics also makes a massagemat for the floor of the tub that is almost sinful!!!!!!LOL Those little bubbles just shoot up and around every little nook and cranny and just is too great to talk about here without offending someone. Go to the homedics website and check it out!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  7. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I have the Homedics handheld massager. That is the best $40.00 I've ever spent. I bought my daughter one and she loves her also.
    My husband massages my back almost every night. Like Kady said you can use it yourself very easily. The handle is long enough so you can reach your whole back.
    I would not be without it.
    As for the thing you put in the tub, I don't care for it at all. The water gets cold really quick plus it doesn't feel that good. To me, it's more trouble that it is worth. Mine is an older one so it may not be as good as some of the newer models.

Sapphire
  8. mkhredhead

mkhredhead New Member

I got a wonderful massager for x-mas last year and use it all of the time. It is heavy, but I've found ways to use it easily - just experiment. Often I am too sore to do the actuall areas, but I've been doing refexology for years - so follow that strategy. That being that there is an area on our feet and on our hands that reflects each part of our body. I do my feet and hands every evening and besides feeling so good, it's very relaxing before bed!

We have a big sauna tub, but I admit I feel too lazy to go through all of the hassle and clean up most of the time.

Experiment with both. Good luck to you.
  9. Susibell2

Susibell2 New Member

This is my first visit to the boards,so far it has been very helpful. I have a whirlpool bath tub and it is wondeful to take a hot bath right before bed. I sleep so much better. The only problem is I hate the clean up afterwards. SOme times I'm even too tired to get in it at night. I just had surgery to remove my gallbladder and as soon as I can I am going to start taking a hot bath everynite to relax,it really helps
  10. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I always got short term relief from the hot tub at the club where I did water aerobics. I have since moved and I miss it so much! Oh boy! now I am wanting to get a massage. Lost my massage therapist when I moved too. The massages were temporary relief too but any relief is better than none at all. I need to find some place where I can get a massage and hot tub treatments.

Betsy