how well does 5HTP work for you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by asvyper, Dec 11, 2005.

1. asvyper

asvyper New Member

i just started this supplement this week in attempt to reduce my sugar/carb cravings. they are horrible! i know it can help with moods and sleep too. i'm taking 100 at lunch and 200 before bed.

if you are on this or have been, how are your results in taking it?

another thing too. say this doesn't help my sugar cravings. is there anything else that can help supplement-wise?
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

i take 400 mg at bedtime to help me sleep. it helps, but isn't sufficient in itself. be careful if you are taking any anti-depressants, as 5htp is a natural anti-d. as far as cravings, I sometimes take chromium to help with this problem. blessings to you. jen102
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I take 50 mg. first thing in the morning and 50 mg. before lunch. It helps me with sleep and mood, I didn't notice anything re sugar cravings, but they weren't a problem for me either. When I took it at night, it seemed to keep me awake, but no side effects when I took it in the morning.

It seems you are starting out with a rather high dose. When I first took it, it gave me a headache for about a week, but then it stopped. I kept taking it because it helped so much with sleep. You're taking 3 times the dose I took, so you may get a headache from it and have to cut back.

If your sugar cravings are due to low serotonin levels, then the 5-htp may help. Chromium is supposed to be good also to help regulate your blood sugar. Keep high protein snacks such as almonds, other nuts, cheese around and when you get a sugar craving eat some protein instead of sugar. Eating sugar just makes you want more sugar.

And the other person who posted was right - don't take 5-htp if you are already taking an SSRI, your serotonin levels may go too high.

I would suggest give the 5-htp a chance to work, but I would start with a lower dose until you see how your body handles it. Also, it's important to take it on an empty stomach, so don't take it with lunch, but instead maybe a half hour before.

Mary
  4. asvyper

asvyper New Member

do you know what dose is effective for that?