How will Fibromyalgia and CFS affect pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by guinevere, Nov 11, 2002.

1. guinevere

guinevere New Member

I am in the early stages of pregnancy and have had Fibromyalgia and CFS for almost 4 years. Could anyone please tell me what to expect throughout my pregnancy?
  2. guinevere

guinevere New Member

I am in the early stages of pregnancy and have had Fibromyalgia and CFS for almost 4 years. Could anyone please tell me what to expect throughout my pregnancy?
  3. Billie

Billie New Member

I can't speak from experience, but have heard of alot of cases where people will feel quite well, and go into a remission during pregnancy. I think some research has been done on it and they think it has something to do with the hormones released during pregnancy. I hope that is the case with you. I am sure there will be people who have had the experience come along shortly to give you more details......Billie
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have hard pregnancies. The fibro & CFS for me pick up & get worse :(
    But these conditions treat everyone very differently & pregnancy wise I think it is the same. I have heard of some women that have brilliant pregnancies, basically symptom free. Others have no real change in their symptoms, & then some like me get worse.
    I am currently pregnant too. 17 weeks with baby number 4.
    Goodluck & I hope that you sail through your pregnancy, one of the lucky ones ;)

Lease
  5. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I have had two semi-difficult pregnancies, but survived. I have been sick for almost 20 years, and got through relatively late pregnancies, the last one being twins when I was almost 41. I would say that my symptoms got slightly worse, but I had nice big, full-term babies. Good luck.

Hippo
  6. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

symptoms got worse after delivery but got back up to where I was before in a few months. 2nd pregnancy was ok but after delivery I went way downhill. But I have 2 beautiful, healthy boys. Take it easy. Amy
  7. lease79

lease79 New Member

that I also have had healthy, full-term, decent sized (all over 8lb) babies :)

Lease
  8. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Congratulations! I have had good and bad pregnancies: 2 with minimal symptoms but tired, one really awful, and one remission. The remission lasted as long as I nursed also, a total of almost three years. When my cycle came back, I took a nosedive then leveled out somewhat. The hormonal component of our illness cannot be denied. BTW, I have CFIDS. Even if you have a flare of symptoms, you'll survive, and more.

Take it easy. Do all the things that keep you optimally healthy. Get plenty of rest and pay attention to your body! Don't push yourself. But be as active as you can,too. Keep thinking "One day at a time".

My husband and I were talking the other night. We realized what a godsend our youngest is. They all are, of course, but our littlest is such a ray of sunshine in our lives. We are going through a lot of stresses with many things. We realized how much she brightens this time and makes it more bearable. How glad we are that we had her, even though I was petrified when I found out I was pregnant.

What you go through with the illness will pass, but you will be blessed with this child forever!
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Guinevere, I hope you are feeling good today?

I can't help with your question, but just stopped to welcome you to the board.

Take care, and let us know how you are doing.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. Val

Val New Member

to answer your question, but there will be lots who can!
    I just wanted to say Congratulations to you and your hubby.
    May you have as pain free a pregnancy as possible.
    ...Val.
  11. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

that if you feel terrible during the first trimester, don't assume the whole thing will be bad. You may begin to feel very well after that. I did!
  12. kadywill

kadywill New Member

have any of these problems until my first pregnancy at age 17!
    Love,
    Kady