How would you describe "brain fog"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, May 23, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

I think I have it but I am not sure. What is it and how would you describe it?
  2. quest390

quest390 New Member

mine feels like im in a dream all the time. like that im there but im not. my body is doing its everyday activities, such as brush my teeth and get ready for work, but im simply not there mentally. I tend to do things without thinking and only after ive done it i realize what ive done. if you cant notice i have it pretty bad right now so its hard to explain. hoped this helped. Hang in there. Quest
  3. jarjar

jarjar New Member

thank god I have improved after being treated for Lyme...
  4. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

Brain fog is when you can't think, can't remember ordinary things, can't spell or form a sentence accurately. Can't think of words you usually use, mix words or numbers up in a sentence. Zombie-like.

For me, it started out rather minor. When I'm in a major 'crash' I lose days at a time, occasionally a week or more. At lunch time, I can't remember what I had for breakfast--or if I even ate breakfast. In a 'crash' (as I call it; some people call it a 'flare') it's like you have extreme tunnel vision, and even that is hazy--This faint beam of light that is your existance. In that tunnel, if someone asks you a question, you might just go blank, and not even remember how to think, or maybe have to try to think of how to think--literally. And if the question is not within that immediate narrow tunnel--like..right NOW...you have no recall of it. When I'm out of that awful crash I can answer those questions, and sometimes even remember the question that stumped me. It's like the mind just totally shuts down...or more like there is this nasty, sticky FOG that obsures everything, including function.

Stress is my biggest trigger. Physical exertion can also bring it on. ANY type of energy drain--physcical, mental, emotional. My last doc appointment put me out for most of a week. Sometimes it'll hit me and I can't attribute it to anything.

Maybe I gaave you more than what you wanted.

Good luck

Foggygirl

5. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

my most common symptom is being unable to "find" a word in a sentence of conversation.

i have to hesitate or say "that thingy" instead of backpack, cereal, etc.

i draw a blank and i am sure a blank facial look as well.

frustrating as heck and at times embarrassing.

i've been out of sync with book reading as well for at least a year. even a title i would normally jump at with excitement; just was having difficulties concentrating.

but, i've just yesterday finished an almost 600-pager!! i feel like a school girl!!!!!!!!! starting another today.
  6. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Well put everyone!!
  7. jane32

jane32 New Member

I wrote a little while ago that after 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. of being out or driving I get crushing fatigue or sensory overload. But I get the symptoms of brain fog (as describe) here too...I just don't know what to call it.

I can't think, can't move or stand and just want to be left alone b/c I feel so weird. Aftr an hr. of complete silence and laying down in the dark I feel better. Maybe it is just a combination of everything.
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

NESS.

I've had it for 25 years. Every time I pick up a piece of paper and say this is important, I know it will be lost in no time. About the only way I ever find anything anymore is when I'm looking for something else.

Right now I can't find the phone card I just bought. And I was careful to put it in a place where I'd be able to find it.

Very frustrating.

9. claudia2

claudia2 New Member

I've described it as feeling like my brain is wrapped in gauze. If I have to drive in the morning hours, it feels like I'm driving under the influence of alcohol. So, I haven't driven a car in the morning for several years.
  10. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

to me is like my brain has exploded into lots of little peices and I'm frantically trying to group it all back together again. When people talk to me I know they are talking but I can't for the life of me take in what they are saying, and if more than one person talks to me I've had it, I just look at them stupidly while they wait for me to answer. It's the pits!!!!

Sue
  11. dleaning

dleaning New Member

12. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

My brain farted and I can't clear the stink!
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Like I'm outside my head looking in and it's dark in there.

Marta
  14. mischuv

mischuv New Member

For me my biggest problem with it is like many others not being able to remember names for things, or forgetting words in the middle of a sentance. Also I find that I can't remember things like if I've shut the door or turned off the stove etc things that I'd done only minutes before.

Tonight for example I was talking to a friend and couldn't remember a street name even though it was the same name as her surname. I generally get it eventually but it can be embarrassing forgetting the name for something really simple, such as the many times I forget jumper for example mid sentance.

Like others I find it's at it's worst when i'm stressed.
  15. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

It hits me like I am under water.

Someone will be speaking to me and I don't really "hear" them until halfway through the sentence - like my brain is moving in slo-mo.

No concentration, even small things, I struggle to get through.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  16. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Yep, trouble concentrating, blank stare, cannot remember what you went into a room for, what you are doing, etc.

Amusing to others but not you. Wanting to be left alone and stare or close your eyes and just lay there.

Ticks hubby off - like I could control it if I wanted or am faking it...

17. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I think Marta's description is perfect. But, I have to say that when I see how common this is I definitely feel better. I was really starting to worry about myself.
    Arlene
  18. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

opening a drawer to look for an idem, and forget after 30 seconds what you were looking for.

Driving the same route you've driven for years, and can't remember which turn to make, and not knowing where you are.

This hit me when I'm under stress too.
  19. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I find it to be very similar to how you feel when you have a vry high fever but more closely resembles the effects of hyperventilation.
  20. Line

Line New Member

My co-ordiation is poor, cannot remember what I was saying, I start telling my husband something, forget what I was going to tell him, he does not even bother to ask what I am talking about any longer. I do such stupid things during the fog periods like put my laundry in the dryer instead of the washer, but I do fill the washer and put detergent in, even softener.

Hugs, Linda