How you know if you're malnourished and need to supp nutrition

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Catseye, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Catseye

Catseye New Member

If somebody had said to me "you're malnourished" when I first got sick, I probably would not have believed them. I thought malnourishment went along with starvation and calling me "malnourished" would have been like calling a fat person "malnourished". Now I know I was wrong on both counts. I was malnourished and overweight people are most likely malnourished, also.

Alot of supplementation is just relieving or guarding against malnutrition.

Malnutrition means a person's body is not getting enough nutrients. The condition may result from an inadequate or unbalanced diet, digestive difficulties, absorption problems, or other medical conditions.

Malnutrition occurs when you do not get enough calories or nutrients to keep you healthy. Nutrients are protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. Malnutrition may make your body weak. It may cause health problems such as trouble fighting infections and healing.

Malnutrition may be caused by not eating the right amount or right kinds of food, or by having certain health conditions. Malnutrition may be caused by health conditions that keep your body from digesting (breaking down) or absorbing nutrients properly. It may be caused by health conditions that increase the amount of calories or nutrients that your body needs. Your body may also lose nutrients because of diarrhea, bleeding and other problems. By the time we have cfs or fibro, we have one of the chronic conditions that is keeping our bodies from breaking down and absorbing nutrients properly.

Malnutrition can occur because of the lack of a single vitamin in the diet, or it can be because the person isn't getting enough food. Starvation is a form of malnutrition. Malnutrition can also occur when nutrients ARE adequately consumed in the diet, but one or more nutrients are not digested or absorbed properly.

People at higher risk for malnutrition include:
    • People who are taking medicines that decrease appetite or affect the digestion and absorption of nutrients. examples: drugs for acid reflux?
    • People with certain diseases such as cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, liver disease, kidney disease and cancer. example: food intolerance?
    • People with a low income who have trouble buying the right kind of food. example: people who eat alot of food that comes in boxes?
    • Pregnant women.

• Some early signs and symptoms of malnutrition may include:?
    • Irritable (bad mood) and tired?
    • Weight loss.

• Later signs and symptoms of malnutrition may include:?
    • Bone or joint pain, and weak muscles.?
    • Bloated abdomen and swelling in other parts of the body.?
    • Changes in the skin and hair.?
    • Brittle and spooned nails.?
    • Dry, scaly skin.?
    • Hair loss.?
    • Skin and hair change color.

• Loss of appetite (not hungry).?
    • Slow wound healing and easily get infections.?
    • Sunken temples (sides of the head).

Malnutrition usually develops in stages over time. Malnutrition may make your body weak and cause health problems such as trouble fighting infections and healing. Severe malnutrition may cause heart problems, breathing problems, and kidney problems. It can also cause changes in the level of chemicals in your blood called electrolytes. Severe (very bad) malnutrition can even lead to death if it goes untreated. THIS IS WHY WE FEEL LIKE WE'RE DYING!!!

The doctor may not have any "tests" for malnutrition so I've made up a few of my own:

You know you're malnourished if:

you've been to the doctor or ER for tests because you feel like you're dying and they send you home with a psychiatric referral.

you eat the crap that is advertised on television.

you eat all day long because your body is craving food. (it's really craving nutrients, BTW, you just don't realize it and are hopelessly munching useless crap devoid of nutrients that will never be able to satisfy you)

you are in the process of or have done chemotherapy recently.

you're on this board!

you aren't eating fruits AND vegetables.

you decide what to eat like this "gee, I'm hungry, what do I feel like eating right now that is yummy and satisfying? . . .INSTEAD OF "gee, I'm hungry, what does my body need right now?"

you start to blame the way you feel and your lack of "umph" on age.

Have I missed some? Anybody?

karen