Howdy late nite folks Where to get empty capsules?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, Jun 8, 2006.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Hello all!

I have several medications or supplements that come in capsules. Problem is that I want to take them in smaller doses. I'll divide the dose in half or smaller, so I can take just a lil bit. (YOu know how many of us are very sensitive to meds, herbs, etc.)

But I don't want to waste the remainder. Anybody know where I can get empty capsules? Or are there any other ideas for this dilmena??

Thanks! The BigMama2

2. sues1

sues1 New Member

Years ago I know that the "younger set" were buying Knox Gelatine capsules at the drug stores....but not for their finger nails.

They would empty the capsules and insert "whatever".

If this is still on the market, you could do that. I imagine you could use the gelatin also for your nails, without the capsules. Might want to read the labels first.

You also might ask at any Pharmacy if taking it this way hurts you in any way. Some capsules are made for specific melting points (when it dissolves in your system). Also if you need a capsule to take whatever meds or herbs into your system. Somethings are for a purpose and we should not assume.

I know that some hard pills should not be broken, that is why I thought of that.

On meds you could ask your Dr. for the lowest dosage and have it doubled for a prescription. Like he might put "take one twice a day"...but you take it only one a day. Saves $$
    Blessings........Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2006]
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi BigMama! I got mine at the health food store.

By the way, while there definitely are drugs that should not be cut apart, don't automatically assume that tablets can't be divided. If I didn't divide meds, I couldn't take any.

Check with your pharmacist - although I assume that you're not trying to cram a half an aspirin into a capsule. lol

M.
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

I get mine at GNC

I divide my Effexor capsules (I know, not a good thing)

Plus, it is my thought the capsules have dyes in them that affect me
  5. turquoise

turquoise Member

I have severe MCS and have to take medication out of dyed capsules and put them in clear ones. For years Lilly manufactured them in all sizes and you could get your pharmacy to order them for you. They stopped at least a year ago and "farmed it out" to other companies. The only one I found that will ship directly to consumers is Medisca, Inc. in N.Y. Their number is 1-800-932-1039.

Since they make more than one kind, be sure to specify that you need the ones with no additives or anything. My bottle says CAPSULE CONI-SNAP #2 (the size I ordered) and below that CLEAR/CLEAR. I am assuming (and HOPING) that they are still a source since I haven't ordered in months because you have to order a bottle of 1000.

They were very conscientious, and even CALLED me a couple of days after the package arrived to make sure I had received them okay- unheard of for me.
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

But if you Google empty vegetable capsules you may find places you can buy them from online. One place I used was really good, but I don't do that anymore as it was a pain--making cinnamon capsules.

Can't take cinnamon anymore due to GERD (reflux).

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. matthewson

matthewson New Member

That is where I got some from. I was doing the cinnamon thing for awhile too! LOL It was a big pain!

Take care, Sally