How's the holidays for you??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Dec 8, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Would like to know how most of you are doing with your illness during the holidays and this time of year? And is there any good advice??
  2. Hraby29

Hraby29 New Member

I was just diagnosed, so this is my first year dealing with this. I plan on hiding in my room. :} Actually I am just taking it slow and making sure that there is not a lot of confusion or stress. Doubt I will get through the holidays without it, but I can always hope. I have a two and three year old who don't understand why mama doesn't feel good at lot of the time and that is the hardest. I try to be as patient as I can and take a nap when I can sneak one in. Good luck!
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I think Stormy said it best....I just wanted to pop in and say hi. It's been awhile since I've seen you posting.

Happy Holiday Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My husband and I used to go out of town to visit my relatives over Christmas. My grandmother was still running a flower shop at the time, and Christmas is the busiest time of the year. Everyone in the family was supposed to help, plus we tried to do the regular Christmas stuff. The helping part was stressful enough, and the fact that everyone in my family also was stressed increased my emotional stress level far beyond what I could tolerate.

I finally came up with a solution: we bought a condo in Florida and made an announcement that my husband worked hard at his job as a professor all year and needed a good break between fall and winter quarters. This was absolutely true, of course.

So now we totally skip Christmas. One year we got ambitious and made a gingerbread house. Sometimes we buy a pointsettia plant.

The thing about life with CFS is, you've got to pick and choose your priorities and figure out ways to do things that are meaningful in ways appropriate to you. I still have good relationships with my family members, but I nurture them at less stressful times.

i'd do things for Christmas if those things made my own life better and more enjoyable. But to do them just because I'm "supposed" to do them makes no sense. If I had infinite amounts of energy like I used to, it would be different. But I don't have that sort of energy, and so I just opt out.

I do send out Christmas cards.
  5. bluewing

bluewing New Member

Your advice is right on! This would be good advice for every one of us. Hope everything goes well for all!
  6. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

My son and I are alone and do our thing on the 24th(at his dad's the 25th).But on the 17th, my family is having our annual holiday get together.Thsi yr. it is at my house because my niece does nto want to do it,and my sister lvies too far away. It is almost a 2 hour drive,way too far for me(hard to stay awake) to drive and my mom is in worse pain than me,so that is out.So lucky me. The thign is,I have 2 dogs that have to be put in the beasement,and my house is TINY so it is going to be packed.It's nto a huge get together,maybe 12 or so(with kids) but 3 people in my livign room makes it crowded.LOL.
  7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Last year I had a small tree that we put on a table. I'm used to having a floor to ceiling tree. The tree was very beauitiful,

Over the last 5 years I have been learning to pace myself and remember I CAN NOT do it all.

This year I'm trying to go through some of my Christimas stuff and will be giving away some of my good unused stuff. There are several gals at my work who are do not have Christmas decoations so those of us who have been around awhile are going to bring stuff for the give away.

We all have a stocking hanging in our cumbicles at work--and those who can have been giving our candy & other small gifts in people's socks.

I hope this helps you too.
  8. mrpain

mrpain New Member

In case I don't have the opportunity to say it, I wish everyone here a very special and beautiful Christmas with the least amont of pain and stress possible.