How's this for a Giant Pineapple?????

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

This house, a folly, was built in 1761 in the Falkirk area where I live. It's truly amazing and is now owned by the national trust. It is let out by them and costs a small fortune to rent for a week, over £600.

2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi rosiebud - That is an amazing house. Me and hubby alot of times enjoy watching Extreme Homes on HGTV.

Thanks for sharing, it's a beautiful picture.

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That is an amazing house, and from 1761 too! Who would have guessed: a pineapple house in Scotland?

I wonder what the dollar/pound exchange rate is these days.

Are you about halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh?
  4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Love the photo but it does look a bit out of place in Scotland,looks more akin to the Caribbean,LOL.
    Ken I bought some supplements on the net recently & would you believe,I got 1.96 US$ for my £,don't think it's as high as that now though.You better save up them $$$$ if you're thinking of coming to the UK any time soon,LOL.
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

apparently they grew lots of pineapples here in the 1800s in hothouses of course.

It's called the Pineapple House at Dunmore, by Falkirk.

Yes, Falkirk is around 23 miles to Edinburgh and same to Glasgow, good train links.

I havent been inside the pineapple house but have decided I'll visit in summer to see what its like.

Paul's right about exchange rates, pretty good for us right now.

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

buy a miniture of the Pineapple House: $112.

Says the P. House was built by the Earl of Dunnmore after he returned from serving as Governor of Virginia.

How many pineapples would he have seen in Virginia?

7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you know more than me and its on my doorstep......

thats an expensive minature.

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I never heard of this fascinating house till you posted.

I just looked on the net to get more info.

Years ago I looked through a book of buildings shaped like various objects. They were mostly built in the 1920s. They are still a few in the Los Angeles area.

There is Pink's hot dog stand in the Fairfax district of Los Angeles. Yup, it is built like a giant hot dog complete w/ bun.

And there is a donut shop w/ a giant donut on top. The donut is about as big as the shop.

Maybe the same builder put up the tire store w/ the huge tire. Must be 20 feet in diameter.

Not far from my house is a windmill. The blades were taken off some decades ago. A few years back it was a Mexican restaurant. Currently it is a Thai or Korean cafe.

Well you would expect a place that had been a windmill to display a lot of turnover.
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

do you know, sopmetimes I am so took me ages to get the joke.

I'm going to look those buildings up.