How's your posture?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I have always had a tendency to slouch ( as my husband calls it). I've never had wonderful posture. But, my husband told me the other day that he had noticed how much worse my posture is getting, and how much worse I am walking. I have never been very graceful, and I guess with the pain from FM and osteoarthitis, I'm not getting around as well as I think I am.

He keeps telling me all the time to "straighten up". Bad posture certainly makes me look old, and if I do it long enough, I probably won't be able to straighten up. I'm in my late 50's, but I don't consider that old. I don't mind looking my age, but I'm not ready to look older than I am!!

I try to be aware of when I'm slouching. The more tired I get the more I slouch.

I wish there was some kind of support type of thing you could wear to help your posture without it being like a brace or something bulky.

Do any of you have this problem? What do you do about it?

Kinsie
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I was not aware of how bad my posture is until I had physical therapy and they tried to instruct me and give me tips for good posture.

They include:

Sit with feet on the floor, not leaned sideways

Stand with weight equally born on both feet and legs.
    I had a bad tendancy to stand with my hip sort of cocked to one side.

There are braces and supports you can buy, I haven't gone that route yet.

There are some exercises which help with posture.

Sometimes I am so tired it is difficult to keep my spine straight. I work at a desk and computer all day long, and it seems my shoulders want to curve in at the end of the day. I stand in a corner, place my hands at shoulder height against the wall. Take a couple of steps back, then lean in sort of like doing a push up. It stretches those muscles and makes my shoulders and chest feel much better.

3. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

I have a tendency to slouch too. I had lower back surgery in 1993 and still have low back pain. I discovered by accident that if I wear a comfortable backpack (I carry a big water bottle, dog treats, etc) I am able to walk MUCH further without back pain. This certainly has made my dogs happy :) and I am able to get more exercise in also.

Lynna
  4. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

That's me the sloucher! I noticed my 14 year old son is taking on the same shoulder forward habit. I'm going to start the Egoscue posture exercises again now that I'm feeling a bit better.
  5. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I appreciate everybody's input.

I'll try some of the things you all mentioned.

Kinsie