HPA axis treatments?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by an1000, May 21, 2006.

1. an1000

an1000 New Member

if there is likely to be a problem with the HPA axis in CFS, why aren't things like adrenaline injections used, to help the body's natural response to physical and mental stress?
  2. ll1816

ll1816 New Member

I've been working with my Neuro and a company called Sanesco. They test thru saliva the neurotransmittors that have a direct affect on the HPA axis.

My first test in December showed all my neurotransmittors really out of whack! I started treatment with their amino acid products and I just retested last month and I'm amazed at the improved results.

My adrenals still aren't up to par, but there has been some improvement. I've been taking a low dose Cortef for 9 months, but I think we need to up the dosage to get the a.m. level within the normal range.

It's been expensive, but the amino acids are the building blocks of the neurotransmittors and they have naturally raised the levels to normal ranges.

For example, my serotonin was 36.1 with the normal range being 50-250mcg. Now my level is 234.6! My dopamine was 18 with the same range of normal, and now it's 144.2.

Everything has improved, even my cortisol levels, but I still have a way to go there.

I think that my pain has improved and I'm hoping that with continued treatment, I'll begin feeling even better.

You can find the company on the web and you'll need to located a doctor in your area that will order the kit and amino acids for your treatment, but I think it's well worth it.

Good luck,
  3. an1000

an1000 New Member

hey liz, sounds interesting. tell me more. what specifically are you taking and at what doses?

ANNXYZ New Member

5. ll1816

ll1816 New Member

I'm taking the Prolent, Contegra, and Lentra products from Sanesco.

You can read the ingredients of each, on their website. You do have to find a doctor (or acupuncturist or DC) to order the kit for the testing and then order the appropriate products based on your results.

They have an 800 phone number you can call for doctor's currently signed up with them, or you can ask your doctor if they will call and order the test kit for you.

Here in California, the test kit itself is $190 when you mail it in with your saliva and urine samples.

I think it's definitely worth treating the imbalance and re-creating the balance that was thrown off by the HPA dsyfunction.

Good luck and hugs,
  6. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

Liz-This is very interesting treatment that you are doing w/the neuro-transmitter testing.

Although i did a urine test for neurotransmitter levels several years ago, i'm interested in getting this done again.

Can you ask your doc, or can you tell me how to find, a doc in the Detroit area who can help me get this testing done & then do the follow-up treatment/supplementation.

Any info you have would be helpful.

7. ll1816

ll1816 New Member

Hi JT:

Do a search for Sanesco on the internet. It ends with .net.
    They have an 800 phone number you can call and ask if there is a doctor in the Detroit area.

If not, you can ask your doctor if he/she would be willing to order the kit for you. The results and treatment protocol will be sent directly to the doctor AND the doctor has to order the products.

I also asked my acupuncturist to order a kit for my son (because my son's doctor wouldn't), who suffers with depression and he called the company and got a kit. My son just hasn't been open to the idea of the testing yet. I'll bet a chiropractor or anyone in the health field could get it for you.

Let me know if you have any luck.

I'm still having trouble with fatigue, but I think it's because my a.m. cortisol still isn't in the "normal" range, although it has greatly improved.

Keep me posted,
  8. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

Liz- Just wanted to let you know that i've found a chiropractor in the Detroit area who is now working w/the Sanesco testing & using their products.

I'm planning on contacting this DC next month. So I wanted to ask you how you're doing taking their supplements & what kind of impact it is having on your neuro symptoms. This all sounds promising, but so many other things sounded good too over the years & did not turn out to be.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

9. ll1816

ll1816 New Member

Hi JT:

Sorry that it's taken me so long to respond to your question. I just found your post.

I actually stopped taking the products last month, as I just can't afford them.

I did notice while on them, that I felt less irritable and I think my depression had improved, although I'm back on Lexapro now.

I think if you take them, you'll notice a difference after awhile, but everyone is different. Who knows how I'd feel now if I had continued.

I'd say it's worth a shot.

Good luck and hugs,
  10. Chootik

Chootik New Member

I wonder why we aren't getting these Amino Acids or maybe our Neurotransmiters are not working properly for some reason. I wonder if one has to keep taking these for life??

Anyone have any idea?
  11. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Liz - Are you still taking Cortef? You said back in May that you had been taking it for 9 months. Do you plan to stay on it for much longer?

I've been taking Cortef for about 10 months. I was taking 20mg/day (10 in the morning and 10 in the afternoon). My PCP wants me to get off of it. I've recently started to wean off it. I'm currently down to 10 mg/day.

I also have a question about the amino acids. Do you think just taking a balanced amino acid supplement would have the same benefit as taking specific ones?

Your treatment sounds promising!
  12. spacee

spacee Member

Cause I don't understand a word of this. Sigh....

13. ll1816

ll1816 New Member

I think because our HPA axis is out of wack, it causes an imbalance of our neurotransmitters and adrenal function.

I think that taking the specific amino acids for those neurotransmitters would probably be just as effective as buying the Sanesco products, but probably cheaper. Please check with your doctor first on this.

The neurotransmitters that Sanesco tests for are:

The also include the adrenal hormones cortisol and DHEA-s.

I did take their companies supplements for awhile and did see some improvement in the numbers after about 4 months, but I couldn't afford to continue.

I'm still taking Cortef. Was only taking 7.5mg. A.M. only, now taking 10mg. A.M. I'm actually seeing my neuro today, so I'll ask his opinion on staying on it.

I'll let you know what he says.

Take care and hugs,
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 08/29/2006</i>]
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 08/29/2006</i>]
  14. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I've read the Edge Effect by Dr. (something) Braverman, very good book, and this is all about the neurotransmitters and supplements for your nature and deficiencies plus a diet for each nature and the supplements to boost them.

II1816 I noticed in your list that you haven't mentioned Acetyl L Choline, this is one of the neurotransmitters menrioned in his book.

It also mentions the GABA, Dopamine and Serotonin natures as well and there is a question chapter to determine your specific nature and one for deficiencies to determine your deficient nature.

I really recommend this book if this is your line of interest.

15. ll1816

ll1816 New Member

Thanks Sue, I'll check out the book.

16. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

I just ordered it from the library.
  17. purplepooh

purplepooh New Member

on webmd.com

Fibromyalgia: Malfunctions in Two Key Body Systems May Contribute to Disorder

Nov. 16, 1999 (New York) -- According to the findings of a recent study, women with fibromyalgia may have malfunctions in two key systems -- the autonomic ("automatic" or self-controlling) nervous system and the HPA axis, which regulates production of certain hormones and the body?s response to stress.

Boston researchers discovered that the HPA axis -- a complex brain-to-body pathway involving the hypothalamus and the pituitary and adrenal glands -- is damaged. As a result, it does not properly regulate production of cortisol, a hormone with widespread effects throughout the body.

"Impairment of these neuroendocrine systems may explain the [underlying body-system malfunctions] of fibromyalgia as well as the overlap in signs and symptoms between fibromyalgia and related disorders," write Gail K. Adler, MD, PhD, and fellow Harvard Medical School researchers. The study was conducted at Brigham & Women's Hospital, affiliated with Harvard, and published in a recent issue of the American Journal of Medicine.

A chronic disorder, fibromyalgia is characterized in part by extreme fatigue, widespread musculoskeletal pain, multiple tender body points, and sleep disturbances. It affects an estimated 3 to 6 million Americans, primarily women of childbearing age.

The existence of fibromyalgia as a distinct disorder has sparked a great deal of controversy over the past decade. This is due in part to a lack of traditional scientific standards to define or explain fibromyalgia and other poorly understood, often-overlapping conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, depression, and migraine.

Some studies have suggested that women with fibromyalgia have decreased function of the HPA axis, while others have found that there may be an excess of activity in the same system. In both cases, levels of key hormones are affected, in turn resulting in the symptoms of fibromyalgia.

The HPA axis and the autonomic nervous system are the major pathways for body responses to stressful conditions -- for example, pain, low blood sugar, low blood pressure, exercise, trauma, and infection. Both systems also are influenced by genetic and environmental factors and by chronic illness. "Furthermore, factors associated with fibromyalgia, such as medication use or changes in physical activity, could influence these systems," Adler and colleagues write. "However, because [affected hormones] ? and the autonomic nervous system influence pain, alertness, gastrointestinal motility, fatigue, ? blood pressure, and immune function, dysfunction of either of these systems might contribute," they say, to the start of fibromyalgia or its persistence.

I hope this helps

18. ll1816

ll1816 New Member

Thanks for the article. This is my neuro's theory on Fibro/CFS and other related illnesses.

Since the HPA axis is the "granddaddy" control center and the autonomic nervous system is the major pathway of our bodies response to stress, it makes since, to me anyway, that we feel the way we do.

This is a great article. I think I'll share it with my neuro next time I see him.

Thanks and hugs,
  19. honolulu13

honolulu13 New Member

I noticed that you had the Sanesco testing done back in 2006. I just wanted to follow up and see how you are doing. I have complete the test last month and have been using their products for a month and feel fantastic. It was a rough and bumpy road, but now I feel like there is hope. For a year I was symptomatic and my symptoms started getting progressively worse over time. I stated having migraines, chronic fatigue, memory loss, muscle weakness, brain fog, numbness in my fingers, depression, anxiety, and dizzy spells....just to name a few. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue, and possible PCOS. My neurotransmitters were out of wack, what a difference these products make. I agree they are costly but well worth the money. Think about what the average person spends on prescription drugs, the bad side effects associated with them and only to gain new problems. With Sanesco, it addresses the problem, getting to the root of the cause and doesn't just cover up and treat the symptoms.