HRT vs Hot Flashes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Sep 1, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I know there was a recent post about HRT and my answer was basically, if you can deal with the symptoms, hot flashes, etc. then dont' take it.

I have trouble dealing with hot flashes, not to mention have had them for about 6-7 years. They are much worse and more frequent when I try to do something even things like light housework; it's like exerting energy brings them on. (Just for the record, I ran out of them and I suppose they are out of my system).

I read something on the internet about a lawsuit on prempro. Has anyone else read this?

I asked the nurse once about the difference in prempro and premarin. She stated that if you have had hysteroctomy, you should take premarin. If not, then prempro.

Is there anyone else that has trouble dealing with these symptoms and if so, would you take the HRT or not?

I'm concerned now that I have read that information.

Opinions welcomed,

BlueSky555
  2. spacee

spacee Member

So many differences of opinion. A friend of mine has been bugging me to try Progesterone Cream for hot flashes. BUGGING ME!! lol.

So, I ordered some from youngagain. I ordered the metered doses bottle because I did read that some people take too much. And the bottle was about $40. Sadly, the bottle doesn't say how many doses.

I think that $40 is ALOT so now that I am stable (not flashing), am cutting back on the dose in hopes to make it stretch longer.

The non metered is cheaper and after using a metered bottle, I might have an idea of the correct dose.

Hugs....Spacee

PS I also take premarin .45 and have for 10 years. I tried Estrace and couldn't handle the side effects but can't remember what they were. Pregnant Mare's Urine doesn't bother me since I take recently pregnant bovine (cow) and chicken colostrum in Transfer factors. What can I say?

[This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

A member of our board suggested that I read Dr. Robert Lee's books about hormones. I chose the one on breast cancer, but they are all good. Wow, was it helpful!!!

There is no way I would take any synthetic hormones after reading that book. I just started using some natural progesterone cream from the health food store and I love it. It doesn't take much to make a difference for me.

I also take a bit of soybean isoflavone pill to treat my insomnia and night sweats. But now that I know more about hormones, I am going to try to switch to natural Estriol, which my local compounding pharmacy can make in a topical cream.

Most doctors don't know about Estriol because no drug company is making money off of it, so it's not advertised.

Maybe depending on where you are in life, you might like the book called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause", or "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause".

Love,
    Forebearance
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...what the big deal is about the pregnant mare's urine. Medications and supplements are made out of all kinds of strange ingredients. But I know it puts a lot of people off.

I have hot flashes I can't deal with, and I'm just starting a low dose of Prempro.

I think it's a personal choice as to whether you deal with menopause symptoms naturally, or by use of HRT, or other medications. I also think that if you can ease into menopause gradually, you have more time for your body to adapt to the symptoms...my mother never took anything and got through it fine.

I've been thrown into chemo-induced "instant" menopause. Hit me like a ton of bricks. I need to recover my health by getting good sleep, etc. So I'm trying the Prempro. And we'll see...may work or not, if not, my doc & I will try something else.

Hugs,
    Pam