Hubby and I are going to 'entertain clients.' Totally panicked!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, Nov 14, 2005.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

This is absolutely ridiculous of me. Tears sprang to my eyes as Jim told me of this. Unfortunately, his enthusiasm isn't contagious.

Before this DD, I could have a wonderful conversation with anyone. People enjoyed my wry humor and intelligence. I was an asset as a wife, to Jim's customers.

Flash ahead several years and I cannot maintain a conversation with our pets. There is NEVER a time where I don't space out in any conversation. Completely forget what I was saying, or mix words up so badly that none of us understand. Even say things that aren't quite appropriate because the context is there and gone.

I do see friends and do go out when I am feeling up to it. I still meet new people and we get along, but not without me totally using my confusing 'newer' native tongue.

I thought I had pretty much learned to deal with this disease. Have somewhat of a normal life etc. This has totally thrown me into panic mode and I know it is ridiculous.

Any suggestions or things to share? Does anyone else feel this panic?

It is stupid, but it is upsetting. Like there aren't much worse problems my friends and family, and you, are all facing....

Kim

2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My husband asked me to hand him a tupperware thing the other day and it took 3 tries before I got the right thing. I couldn't understand what he wanted.

My first thought for you is - what if you've "lost your voice" from a sore throat and just can't talk? You could whisper from time to time if you really have to say something, but if you can't talk, you surely won't have to try to say much. Can you fake a squeek?

abbylee
  3. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I understand the feeling of pressure/stress, etc at fairly formal or important social events. I am not sure if you are planning on entertaining at home (which you really don't need that kind of pressure) or out for an evening. If you must do this at home have it catered, you don't need the extra pressure of prepping food. Also, couldn't you invite a really great friend or two to come along and support you and guide you through conversation,etc ? Having a familiar face or two would really help, I would think. Even if these people are clients, remember, they are people too. People who could have any sort of problems, issues. You can't go wrong by relaxing, smiling and being kind and gracious, which I am sure you are by nature!

Take care,,,,I hope this helps. God Bless.
  4. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Just be yourself. You are probably more aware of what you say or how you say it than anyone else is. The way you write indicates that you haven't "lost it".

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, because FM changes us, and we lose a lot of confidence in ourselves.

Get all dressed up, fix up, and smile a lot. You really don't have to do as much talking as you think. I somehow think I have to carry the ball in some conversations, when I really don't. Just let the other person do most of the talking.

I know your husband is counting on you, and you can do it!

Your friend,

Kinsie
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I can certainly understand your feelings. Are you going to have it at your house or do you get to go out somewhere? I hope it's the latter...!

You are a great writer, great wit, neat person...you will do better than you think, I'll bet. I'm always stressed when having to meet new people, etc. but it seems to work out once I relax. I sure listen more than I used to.

I agree with getting someone else to talk more, but I'll bet you will ease into this once you get started. It's the anticipation that kills me!

So, take Mart and Tini along...that ought to loosen things up at bit...give more to them! (-:

I will be thinking and praying for a good evening. What night is this happening?

Love,

Sue

Glad you're feeling a bit better this week. Phewww!