Hubby fell 8ft onto head on pavement

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IntuneJune, Nov 16, 2005.

1. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

We were putting the cover on our sailboat in the boat yard. My husband was on the second to top step on the eight foot ladder and gave the cover a yank and toppled over backwards, falling onto the hard pavement which was sparsely covered with gravel right at my feet. (Rescue estimated his head traveled about 14 feet).

Well-intentioned folks came running, but I was the first responder as he fell at my feet. Blood went everywhere, he had a serious head wound which I kept pressure on, but others were trying to move him.... I had to tell folks NOT to touch him. "We just want to make him comfortable they said."

Hubby never lost consciousness which is probably why I remained calm.....I told the folks who wanted to help...the best help was to do nothing until Rescue arrived. I asked for clean cloths to apply under my hand for his forehead wound which was huge and bleeding profusely. His head was a mess with blood and gravel.

Rescue called ahead for a trauma room, husband got EXCELLENT care when we arrived. Everything there happened at lightening speed.

After CAT scanning and xrays reported no broken neck or spinal injuries.....we relaxed for the first time.

He needed 25 stitches just to the forehead wound, 42 facial stitches in all....with the doc apologizing that there just was not enough skin to stitch back the left side of his face any more. The doctor copiously flushed his wounds and rocks would bubble up to the surface that we could not see before.... and yes the "rocks in your head" jokes also surfaced.

He had a broken wrist....

I have told my husband he experienced a miracle, that a army of angels must have protected him during his fall. His injuries should have been much more severe.

The rest of his life is a gift....

Each day is a gift for each and every one of us...

Wish we could relax and enjoy such gifts.

Love, June
  2. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

June,

Sorry to hear about your husband, but boy you are right that there are angels all around us. I'm glad he was not hurt more seriously.

-Kathi
  3. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

What a story June, you are very lucky to still have your husband, and with no brain injury!!!!

WOW
  4. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

Oh I am so sorry to hear that, but glad that he is doing fine. That is so scary. You did the right thing by staying so calm. I am not sure I could have did that. I don't understand why people want to automatically move someone. That is like the worse thing you can do. Yes I count my blessing everyday because you are right each day is a gift. I hope your hubby heals soon. May you have a wonderful holiday season.

Trish :)
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

You did well to not let the others move him. I do wish him a quick recovery.

You are both in my thoughts.

Kelly
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

and a very calm, wise wife! You did everything right, and I'm so happy all has turned out well. What a horrible thing to watch and to endure.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for both of you.

Sue
  7. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Few...what a scary thing to happen.

I am so sorry this happened at all, but am so glad your husband is alright....your so right he had angels around him.

Thank goodness you were able to remain calm and apply pressure to his wound. He definately was being watched over.

Hugs
    ~Bluerose~
  8. shelbo

shelbo New Member

amazing and well done for keeping a clear head!!! Love Shelbo
  9. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

and you too! So sorry that he fell but God is good and he will see him though!
    Hugs Shirley
  10. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley
  11. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley
  12. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley
  13. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley
  14. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley
  15. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley
  16. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley
  17. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley
  18. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley
  19. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley
  20. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hugs Shirley