Huffing and Puffing Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fudge43, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

This is kind of an embarrassing question .. I think I know what the answer would be if I was hugely overweight or much older.
    BUT
    I'm in pretty good shape and just turned 49 .. it started a couple of years ago and that is when they discovered the MVP but the doctors did not think it was bad enough to be the cause (because I was doing 5 miles on the treadmill in an hour with out dropping dead) haha
    When I go up our stairs (raised bugalow not a huge staircase)... I huff and puff and have a hard time catching my breath .. sometimes even when I'm not doing that much it happens too .. then I thoought I read information that fibro people with MVP have this odd breathing quirk .. anyone else with this ? am I a sadsack case or what ? haha
    Fudge : )
  2. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Hi there,

I sometimes find myself short of breath. I have asthma but it is different than asthma symptoms. I have been tested for lymes and had an ANA test to see if there was any sign of an auto immune disorder - they were both negative.

I do find that I get this shortness of breath when I am particularly over tired.

-Kathi
  3. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I can't even go up one flight of stairs at work without huffing and puffing, even when I walk slowly. Many times I find myself out of breath just walking down a long hall. I feel like a 100-year-old but I'm only 48! And although I am carrying around an excess 25-30 pounds that I'd love to get rid of, I can't imagine that being the cause. If it were 75-100 pounds maybe, but not 30. Besides, I've weighed this much for most of my adult life.

I also have a big problem catching my breath. Sometimes it feels like I can't "fill my lungs" no matter how hard I try. This doesn't always coincide with exertion either. I can be sitting on the couch watching television and feel short of breath, and try as I might I can't get a big enough breath into my lungs. Hurts like heck when that happens. One night last week it was so severe that I thought I wasn't going to be able to breathe at all and it really scared me.

I've wondered if this is all part of the FMS. But what is MVP??? Maybe my brain fog is really bad today, but I can't figure out what that is ..???

Kat
  4. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

I am only 27 and I suffer from the same problem. I have what I call "spells", which is when my symptoms get a little worse. During a "spell" sometimes just getting up can make me huff and puff.
  5. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Mitral Valve Prolapse :)
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

.... I'm so GLAD I asked about this .. I felt embarrassed thinking I sounded so out of shape. I did this to myself .. but when I can do mile after mile on the treadmill without dropping dead, little humor there .. yes .. I know ... very little ! .. I just can't get it round my head why the stairs do this to me .. and those other quirky times .. I'm going to mention it again to my doctor .. but the thing they hold over my head is that I'm supposed to have an angiogram ... and I'm scared "witless"? about it .. down right frightened to death if I were honest ..
    So for now I'll just consider it one of those odd symptoms of this whole combo of problems.
    PS .. has anyone had an angiogram ? and how did it feel ? how did it go ?
    Scared Witless Fudge : ) .. is witless supposed to have two 't's ??? hahaha
  7. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Fudge - I had a heart cath a couple of years ago. Not sure if that's similar to an angiogram or not. The catherization was done under local anesthetic, they ran a catheter from my groin into the heart to see if I had any blockage. I was awake but "loopy" due to the meds they gave me via IV. I didn't feel a thing, and I think I dozed for part of the procedure. What I remember of it was actually very interesting.

Following the procedure, I had to lay flat on my back and not move for three hours so the vein in my leg didn't bleed out. They inserted a type of "cork" into the vein that dissolves over time. There was no pain at all, although the groin area around the vein did itch for a day or two. I always get nauseous from IV meds, so I was given medication for that shortly after the procedure and it made me sleep for the whole three hours. That was good, because I probably wouldn't have been able to lay still that long without it!

The reason I had the heart cath was because I had been having chest pains and they were ruling out heart issues even though I had already had a clear cardiac workup. Found out several months (and procedures) later than the chest pain is costochondritis due to FMS.

I don't know if an angiogram is done in a similar manner, but if it is, you have nothing to worry about. Trust me, I'm the biggest baby on the planet when it comes to pain and the heart catherization was a piece of cake.

Good luck!!

Kat
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Thank you so much for that information .. yes .. an angiogram is exactly like that and I am one HUGE baby .. I have had chest pains here and there .. bad cardiac history in my family .. but I'm the only one that didn't smoke or drink like a fish ( I can hardly enjoy a glass of wine now .. but I keep trying all the same ! haha ) ..

I had two exercise stress tests .. the first one was not good .. it displayed restricted blood flow to the left side of the heart .. the next test didn't .. so it was sort of 50/50 .. and true to the coward that I am, I chose to avoid the angiogram .. with the doctors clucking over that one .. but hey .. in the end I have to take responsibility for me .. even if I make the wrong decision .. but ..

Now that I have heard of your experience, may be I'll really give it some serious thought .. may be one more stress test to do the final flip of the coin ? haha
    I really appreciate the information kat, so thank you again!

"I'm trying to suck it up Fudge" : ) !