Huge question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rozzie, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Rozzie

Rozzie New Member

I just found this board so be patient with me. My doctor diagnosed me with fibro after years and years of pain. He has prescribed vicodin for pain and soma for the muscles.He has prescribed trazidone to help me sleep. These are not working real well, and I am seldom able to get out to do anything that requires me to walk for any distance. What does everybody else take? Is he a quack, or am I just going to have to put up with the pain?
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I found a great FMS doctor in March of this year. He put me on 20 mg. of Kadian (it's morphine) that I take twice a day. I'm to the point that other pain meds like Ultracet do nothing for me. It's helped a lot with the sharp, shooting pains I was getting, but unfortunately it doesn't help with the achy muscles, especially my neck and shoulders. But I am thankful not to have the really sharp pains now. I have had problems off and on with the feeling of nausea-it's a side effect of Kadian. The nausea feeling is not as bad as it was.

I also take Cymbalta 60 mg. which also helps with pain and I think with sleep. I take Gabitril 4mg. for the restless legs syndrome. Also take meds for thyroid.

I'm not familiar with the meds you are taking. Would your doctor be willing to change your meds? It doesn't make much sense to take meds that don't work for you. If not, then maybe it's time to go doctor shopping. Maybe post a message here to see if anyone in your area knows of a good doctor.

Good luck.

Ellen
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Glad you found this board.Members are full of great info for FM and CFS.

I take Cymbalta 90mg a day at noon.I also take vicodin 6 tabs a day .

I also take 600mg of neuontrin 3 times a day.This works with the cymbalta for my pain.When I was just taking vicodin it only took the edge off.

I take ambien for sleeping my script is for 20mg at bedtime.I only take 5mg when needed.

I am still in pain but can function a lot better.I know my limits and only do what I can.

I can only do light cleaning so I pick one room a day to clean.

My DH ( Dear Husband) helps me with cooking and he washes the pots and pans.I load the dishwasher.

Around noon I have reached my limit .So I rest.

And like most doctors yours will probably try different med. combos till the 2 of you find one that works.

Again Welcome.
    Hope you feel better.

Sue
  4. chantoozy1

chantoozy1 New Member

Well Rozzie
    being at the beginning you have options I gave up on Dr's when my immune system started to shut down because of drugs I found a Naturapath and a DR who is also a naturapath between them they have lifted me out of bed and I am now enjoying a better quality of life than I have in 3 years. I take B12 1000mg B Complex Virgin Coconut Oil, and a natural herb to help heal my thyriod I also drink 600 ml a day of soda water that has potassium in it the only way my body will tolerate thhe potassium. My grey skies have cleared and I am much more optimistic now that my health is on the mend the mind seems to follow I wish you well Rozzie it is a long road finding the right Medico but by joining this site you can find out what's what and do some research. Wishing you health and happiness soon
    just remember it is a progression not an instant cure the body needs time to heal Good Luck Chantoozy
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I've taken all of those drugs (but not at the same time), and they all helped some, but I've not found anything that takes away all of the pain.

I currently take Methadone and Oxycodone with Xyrem for sleep since I tested positive for alpha intrusion (from a sleep study).

You might want to request a sleep study. Most fms patients have a sleep disorder, and if you do you'll get the proper medication for what you have. Getting sufficient delta sleep will also help your pain.

Sorry you're having such a hard time. I've had this since I was 12 but was not diagnosed until the 90's (when I found a doctor whose wife has fms), and didn't know about the sleep disorder until 2003.

abbylee
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, WELCOME!!!! Glad that you found our board/online support group; however, I'm sad to hear to you, too, have been diagnosed with fibro.

I wouldn't say that your doc is a quack, but to just diagnose you with fibro, he started you out on some pretty powerful stuff!!

My daughter is a physician and I know that docs are supposed to "work their way up the ladder" on meds for their patients for illnesses. You doc didn't!

Even though you told him that you had years and years of pain, he should have started you out on Ultram. That is the pain med "of choice" for docs to start patients out on, and that is because it is a non-narcotic.

They also normally do not give you at first a muscle relaxer, let alone Soma!!! Instead, they start you out on Elavil, to help relax you and give you a better night's sleep. If the Elavil (ampitripiline ? sp.)

And ... they often give you another anti-depressant to take during the day.

If these don't work is when your doc with start experimenting with the doses... by upping the dose, or changing you to a different med.

The meds he put you on may have you in a daze, or so sleepy during the day that you can't function, etc. A bit too strong to start out with.

I am almost 55, have had fibro and systemic lupus since I was 10. I am retired after working for 30 years and also have a ton of other serious medical problems. (see bio)

I take about 23 prescriptions a day, but what I take for fibro/cfs is:
    --Cymbalta
    --Neurotin
    --Zanaflex at bedtime to help sleep
    --and I also sleep with a CPAP and oxygen, due to obstructive sleep apnea.

All of the above help my fibro/cfs.

Hope you get to feeling better and work out with your doc a combination of meds that will help you, too.

Hugs,
    Janet
  7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Rheumatologists are the ones who are "most up" on treatment for fibromyalgia.

Here is the regimen I'm on:

AM - Ultracet 2 tabs; Cymbalta 60 mg

PM - Ultracet 2 tabs; Neurontin 1200 mg; and Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) 100 mg per day (Plaquenil for "early" lupus)

My rheumatologist recommended the regimen and my internist followed his recommendation; it seems to be working for me right now.

Jeannette