Human Growth Hormone!! Pituitary etc.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Jan 13, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE), representing the nation’s physicians who specialize in the endocrine system, has issued a health alert calling for ‘responsible use” of human growth hormone in light of news reports that some people may be taking the hormone for anti-aging or athletic fitness purposes.

“Responsible use means consulting a physician who can determine whether such therapy is indicated by appropriate diagnostic testing and scientifically proving a growth hormone deficiency,” Dr. Helena W, Rodbard, president of AACE, said at a recent news conference.

“In too many cases, those who truly do not need human growth hormone are getting it, and those who truly do need human growth hormone are not getting it,” added Dr. Stanley Feld, a former president of AACE.

Recent news reports have focused national attention on the growing use of human growth hormone by vitality clinics who charge thousands of dollars a year to baby boomers and senior citizens seeking to feel younger, and athletes who hope to enhance their performance.

To promote responsible use of the hormone, AACE has published ‘Clinical Practice Guidelines for Growth Hormone Use in Adults and Children,” the first comprehensive guidelines on the subject issued by the medical profession for both children and adults

“It is estimated that about 75,000 out of 265 million Americans currently have a true growth hormone deficiency indicating the need for replacement therapy. That is why we are sending our guidelines to physicians across the country, and that is why we are issuing a health alert to discourage use that is not indicated on the basis of science or FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approval,” said Dr. Hossein Gharib, who chaired the AACE task force that developed the guidelines.

“Human growth hormone is not the fountain of youth, a formula to create super athletes, or a magic cure for short kids, but it is highly effective in the limited number of adults and children who have actual human growth hormone deficiency,” said Dr. Feld.

“Growth hormone deficiency in children is well established as a disease where therapy in the care of a trained physician should probably be continued throughout the patient’s growing period. Then the patient should be retested and, if he or she is still deficient, therapy should be continued for life,” noted Dr. Paul H. Saenger, who co chaired the task force.

“In cases where growth hormone replacement therapy is used to restore vitality, there might be an underlying disease other than growth hormone deficiency that has decreased the vitality, and that disease should be diagnosed and treated by the physician instead of using the replacement therapy,” explained Dr. Gharib.

AACE has launched a national public awareness campaign to draw public and physician attention to the problem. Those seeking a copy of the Guidelines or other information may visit AACE’s website (www.aace.com).

Human growth hormone, made by the pituitary gland, promotes the normal development and maintenance of tissues and organs by triggering the release of insulin-like growth factors (IGF’s) and inducing other beneficial physiological and metabolic effects.

Synthetic human growth hormone made through genetic engineering became widely available after 1985, creating a virtually unlimited supply for approved uses.

According to the new AACE Guidelines, human growth hormone replacement therapy is indicated for children and adults with scientifically proven growth hormone deficiency whose bodies produce insufficient or ineffective levels of the hormone.

‘The gold standard for the diagnosis of growth hormone deficiency is dynamic stimulation testing of the patient’s ability to release growth hormone, and not a single static test,” said Dr. Saenger. “Normal people can have borderline low levels of IGF I but have an absolutely normal stimulatory test. These people do not have growth hormone deficiency.”

Symptoms for human growth hormone deficiency include fatigue, lack of energy, poor sleep, decreased exercise capacity and psychological problems. Signs include decreased lean body mass, increased visceral fat, decreased muscle strength and bone density, and increased lipids.

“The non-specific nature of these signs and symptoms is believed to have contributed to the use of growth hormone therapy in some people who do not have a scientifically proven deficiency,” added Dr. Gharib.

Adults who may have growth hormone deficiency include those with pituitary tumors, those who have had radiation or surgery for such tumors, and those with hypothalamic disease.

Reported side effects associated with human growth hormone therapy include fluid retention, carpal tunnel syndrome, joint pain, headaches and other discomfort usually occurring at the onset of therapy and resolving in one to two months.

The FDA also has approved HGH therapy for children who have short stature as a result of chronic renal insufficiency. It is also approved for girls with a proven HGH deficiency who have Turner syndrome, a chromosomal abnormality that occurs in one of every 2,000 live born girls.

Clinical studies are under way to determine whether human growth hormone therapy can help strengthen the aging body or help counteract wasting in patients with burns or chronic diseases. However, to date, the FDA has approved the hormone’s use for patients suffering from wasting only due to HIV or AIDS.

“Responsible HGH use promises many benefits for those for whom it is indicated. It would be unwise to act on the basis of promises which exceed scientific evidence,” said Dr. Rodbard.

2. kjfms

kjfms Member

...thank you so much for posting this article-very informative.

Thanks again,

Karen
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

The Gold Standard test will also put you in the hospital as it involves insulin manipulation to gauge GH.

I do thank you for your efforts in posting it though.

This is more politics and sour grapes then anything else. The AACE used to be the keeper of the hormones. They treat according to how close you are to dropping.

The American Academy of Anti Aging Medicine is preventative
    medicine. The article tried to portray them as selling "fountain of youth" snake oil to baby boomers who are too stupid to know better.

The goal of "these clinics that are charging thousands of dollars" is not to turn one back into an eighteen year old on middle aged legs, but to bring your hormone levels into OPTIMAL range ... At around the age of 30-35 the majority of our hormone production starts to drop off, creating medical problems we all associate with age.

The anti-aging doctor will try to bring your hormone level back to the number it was @ 30-35yrs. This will protect against osteoporosis (in men and women), cardiac disease, mental deterioration, outlook and sense of well being, and on and on. They also include other therapies such as nutritional and physical therapies to complete the picture.

The AACE article did not mention that these anti-aging doctors are board certified and fully accepted my the AMA. The truly tried to paint a back alley picture of fly by night sleezy paractioners who were putting your health at risk all for the sake of an ill-gotten dollar.

I won't even mention what the AACE thinks about CFS/FMS and the HPA axis seeing how the majority of them do not believe the conditions (CFS/FMS) exist.

Lastly, I know longer want to be treated by a doctor who goes by the "numbers" only. I have gotten used to being treated clinically with the test numbers being a supportive tool, not the end all deciding factor.

I am afraid too many doctors have lost the art of treating the patient, listening to what they have and what they have to say, and become test result robots.

This does not mean I agree that a young, healthy athelete needs to be taking GH and/or testosterone. The have plenty on their own ... to add more is nothing more then physical enhancement.

The clinics the article referred to aren't in the practice of promoting the ill-advised hormone treatment for performance enhancement in atheletes, yet the article left it out there for you to connect the two together.

They (AACE) are losing money and clout and they don't like it. They also don't want us to know our quality of life doesn't have to be a bad one just because we are aging.

The AACE believes that aging causes hormones to become deficient. The AAAA society believes Deficient hormones causes aging and it's ancillary health problems. I agree with the second premice. I don't think HRT is going to let me live forever. But it can give me a very good life.

These endocrinologist don't acknowledge andropause in males as something treatable. I can tell you that my husband will not needless suffer the side effects of age related drop off of testosterone and GH and risk cardiac disease because of these guys way of thinking.

There is a facility in Nevada called Ceregenics that falls right into the category this article is referring to. However, they are a teaching facility for the University of Nevada Medical School and have a huge AMA sactioned continuing education program for MD's.

I have gotten a glimps of the very high percentage of patients at this facility who are MD's and their families. It is an anti aging treatment program. Wonder what the AACE would like to say about that?

I thank you again for posting the information. I really do feel like it is a contol, ego, power and sour grapes article aimed at another medical association that is threatening their toe hold on the king of the hill title.

It's not to different then the way internist feel about integrated MD's who use nutrition and supplements in their treatment plans along with traditional treatments.

AACE don't have any love for compounding pharmacies either as they produce bio identical hormones. These cannot be patented therefore no use to pharmaceutical companies.

Endo docs have had a long and profitable association with pharmaceutical companies .... how dare these clinics use bio-id hormones! Just because they are better for the patient doesn't mean anything! LOL

Now I'm having fun with this ... Hope I didn't offend. I love it when anyone posts articles for us ... how else are we to learn if not for the effort many go to in posting?

I just got an image of a couple of 8 year old boys playing in the sand box and one is all mad because his fort got breached .... pretty soon he's gonna take his tonka toys and go home. Kinda like the AACE and the Am Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post ... Take care,

Elsa

4. darude

darude New Member

I have pituitary tumour so posted for those with!!
  5. elsa

elsa New Member

I don't understand your last message. You only posted for folks who have a pituitary tumor? Did I offend you with my response because you have a pituitary tumor?

What I wrote was not a commentary on you .... or personal. I was a critique of the article.

Can't tell at all by your short response what you mean.

Anyway, I thanked you about a 1000 times for making the effort for posting it .... still, I felt my critique of the article was a good one.

Perhaps you would elaborate on what your last message meant ... I don't understand.

E.

6. darude

darude New Member

Appreciate your comments. No offense but us with pituitary had been discussing this so really was addressing them. The article was forwarded to me so don't know date. Thanks for the long post very interesting.

Hugs Annie the Londoner
    [This Message was Edited on 01/13/2006]