human growth hormone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simonedb, Nov 4, 2008.

1. simonedb

simonedb Member

hey just read an article in sci american this year about how hgh helps brain damage in chronic opiate use, curious what was the consensus here on hgh with cfs?
    I tried it once a few years ago and it seemed too powerful but would be willing to experiment again. It is supposed to improve brain functioning and memory.
  2. simonedb

simonedb Member

(btw, things are looking up if ya know what i mean, its tues nite)
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I've improved about 20% on it. My IGF-1 was very low. I wouldn't take it unless I was deficient tho as it is very powerful.
  4. winsomme

winsomme New Member

as munch may remember....i too have low IGF-1 and also failed the stimulation test.

i took one dose of HGH and it knocked my socks off....I definitely want to give it a go sometime, but i'm waiting a little while to see how the MP does for me.

IMO there is definitely something to it, just not sure what..
  5. mindblower

mindblower New Member

Normal dose injections of hGH often seem to be toxic to those with ME/CFS. And low dose injections of it have been tried in some, but with only modest benefit and it is expensive.

But regular excercise(walking or running) increases and maintains human growth hormone(hGH) output probably better than anything. And some tricyclic antidrepressants like tianeptine have been shown to help hGH levels and it's low cost.

MB

[This Message was Edited on 11/05/2008]
  6. winsomme

winsomme New Member

MB

can you give a source on HGH being toxic in CFS? I would be interested to read it.

also, exercise is just not an option for many with CFS....with me, it triggers a worsening of symptoms.

and on a personal note, the testing for Growth Hormone Deficiency involves trying to trigger a growth hormone response in the body.

Exercise in healthy people gets the body to produce GH. but in PWC/fibro they do not seem to have this normal response.

i had this testing done - where i had my growth hormone levels tested before and after exercise - and my GH level didn't budge from UNMEASURABLE!! amazing. the DR was shocked.

not sure how it all fits together, but IMO Growth Hormone Deficiency can be a problem for PWCs.
  7. simonedb

simonedb Member

thx y'all
    whats the stimulation test etc winsomme?
  8. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

For what it's worth, in my hypothesis for CFS, hGh is low for the same reason ACTH is low, antidiuretic hormone (vasopressin) is low, oxytocin is low, and perforin is low. That is, glutathione depletion. It is known that glutathione is necessary to control the redox potential in cells. In cells that make proteins that contain cysteine, it is necessary to have enough glutathione to keep the cysteine in the reduced form until the amino acid chain is transferred to the endoplasmic reticulum, where the proper partners are formed between cysteine residues, to form disulfide cystine bonds, establishing the tertiary structure of the molecules. The pituitary is not able to convert methionine to cysteine, the rate-limiting amino acid for making glutathione, so when cysteine becomes in short supply, the pituitary is one of the organs that goes low in glutathione. The result is that it is unable to make enough of the secretory proteins that contain cysteine in their precursor molecules.

If this is true, the way to increase hGh production is to correct the glutathione depletion. The way to do that is to lift the methylation cycle block, which appears to be the root issue in the pathogenesis of CFS. There is currently both a test for methylation cycle block (the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation panel) and a relatively inexpensive nonprescription treatment for it. I'm not financially involved with either the test or the treatment.

I think it may be wiser to correct the root issue in the pathogenesis, and let the body correct the other abnormalities, rather than trying to take direct action to correct all the downstream abnormalities.

Rich