Hurrican Issac

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

I live in S. Louisiana. Please pray for all in the path of the storm. The last hurricane that really took a toll on my area (besides Katrina and Rita) was Gustav . . . a few yrs ago.

We are under a hurricane warning and state of emergency. Strong winds, flooding, and torndos are expected.

With Gustav, we had lots of trees down in our area, some fell on houses taking lives, lots of roofs missing, and tornado activity. We'll probably lose power . . . last time, it was for about 8 days (actually, right now, that's the least of our worries.)

My husband and I stocked up on Sat. People are evacuating from New Orleans and low lying areas. We, personally, are not under a "mandatory" evacuation. But, lots of prayers are appreciated.

Soft Hugs,

Godismystrength: So glad you will not be getting the brunt of this storm.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2012]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2012]
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

Been to Arizona . . . it's just way too dry for me. Spent all day applying lotion and couldn't go a second w/o water.

But, that's not the main reason. 2 sons & DILs and 3 grandchildren . . . soon to be 4.

3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Praying for you to be safe.
  4. Nikki

Nikki Member

and well wishes . . . right now it's the calm b/f the storm. The weather outside is sunny . . . very little wind. But, I know how quickly this can change.

I believe New Orleans (60 mi from us) will be somewhat safer than Katrina days . . . Katrina destroyed about 80% of NO b/c of all the flooding when the levies broke. So heartbreaking.
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers -

6. sharon45

sharon45 New Member

So glad that Hurricane Issac has finally passed over. It was sooo slooow - moving at just 6 mph - it lingered way too long. We had lots of strong winds and tons of rain, but, all in all, our area fared pretty well. All we ended up with were big broken flower pots and tons of tree limbs and other debris scattered everywhere. Lots of yard clean up needed.

So glad we had our roof repaired 2 wks ago. Our damage could have been so much worse. We feel very blessed.

Other parts of S. LA had flooded homes where levees didn't hold. People had to be evacuated out through attics and off of roof tops. It's so sad that some of the really, really old folks refuse to evacuate (even when it's mandatory), and end up putting rescue workers lives at risk.

The levees in New Orleans held up really well . . . so nowhere near the problems that Katrina . . . in fact, hurricane Issac was on the 7th anniversary of Katrina. Really brought back lots of fear and bad memories for so many people.

Our oldest son, our DIL and our 2 grand daughters stayed with us during the storm. We have a generator, and our oldest GD has MD, and the heat and humidity can be very bad for her if electricity goes out; plus, she also was dx'd with fibro last yr.

Thanks all for your prayers. I hope no one else had bad experiences during this storm.

Very soft hugs,

7. Jittle

Jittle Member

We had a drecho storm in July that took our power out: I was miserable, and we had to leave the house because I could not breath in the heat and humidity.

Hope Issac wasn't too bad on you. We are getting some tropical/humid weather and storms from the Issac, and that is bad enough for me. The
    humdity kills me, and I feel worse in minutes.

I hope you, your family, and your property made out ok.

8. Nikki

Nikki Member

it's so heartwarming to know how much y'all care.

Lots of prayers are needed for those folks further south where flooding is one of the main concerns.

It is so amazing to see strangers helping strangers. Thank, God, for these folks.

A personal prayer: my dil lost her favorite aunt. She was only 51. She caught a virus 4 yrs ago that destroyed her lungs. We all believed she would be able to get a lung transplant . . . but, it wasn't in God's plan. She is survived by her husband and 2 young daughers (14 & 16).

Mikie: If this belongs on another board, please let me know.
  9. Hi Sharon,

Even though it looked like the storm probably wouldn't affect northwest Florida, I had to go ahead and leave town and err on the side of caution because my M.E. has progressed to the point that my body doesn't handle heat well at all anymore. I can actually have trouble breathing, like an asthma attack, if I get overheated. And it doesn't seem to take much for me to get overheated anymore. Since we live close to the Alabama line, I knew there was a good chance we'd lose power for a while, so I left with two of my kids and headed east to Tallahassee. My husband had to stay behind at the hospital where he works.

I was already having a flare in my condition, so traveling out of town made it worse. Been trying to recuperate since we got back over a week ago and haven't been able to get on the board till today. But I'm so glad that you and Mikie made out o.k. I haven't really gotten to hear if Mikie had any property damage or not though.... hope not!

I have family that live in New Orleans, Slidell and Mandeville, so I was definitely praying for everyone in Louisiana who were being affected by the storm. It just seemed relentless! The way it just hovered over southeast Louisiana was like nothing I've ever seen! I was also praying for everyone in south Florida, especially Mikie, and everyone along the Mississippi and Alabama gulf coast. My oldest son was due to fly into Gulfport, Miss. for a 2 month Air Force assignment the week the storm hit (flying in from Hawaii) and it looked like it was going to have to be postponed, but thankfully, by Friday, the airport was open and running again. And thankfully all of my family in Louisiana are fine too!

My heart goes out to all those who suffered loss and hardship from this storm. They still need our prayers. But I am thankful that you and I and Mikie made out o.k. I am so thankful for everyone's support and prayers on this board! Such a blessing! Take care and God bless!

Soft Hugs and Blessings,
    Shel :)