Hurricane Ike (P.S. from the FM Board)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Dear All,

This was originally written to Mari who also lives in my area that I was trying to find. Hope she is fine. However, glad to have found some other dear friends in the same mess or just thinking of us all. God bless you ALL.

Here I am safe and sosund, finally got our electricity and A.C. going tonight. I promise to add on more either lataer tonight or tomorrow. Hope everyone was safae from that terrible storm. We were very fortunate even though we did have some minor outside damage, almost got hit be a 400 yer old tree, and lots of tree mess al around.

Have to let my kids know we now have power. Hope all are well and havae had not to much damage. It has been 5 days without power but it seems like much longer. Thank God for the radio which gave me some sanity. To much work to do outside with all the mess. Just what I didn't feelike doing with all my aches and pains.

Hope to hear from any and all of you who have had to go through this anyone else too.

2. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

So very glad to hear that you and your property are safe. I've been praying for you. You have been missed.
  3. Granniluvsu

Elaine and Sweetie,

So glad to be back and and safe. I will go more into it later but we are all safe as well as my children. The got their electricity on much earlier than we did, a day or two later. Some still do not have electricity in some of the area around us, even down the main highway where we are located off.

One of my daughter had a car fall on her truck but I guess it is still working as she has been going to work.

I am so thankful for us but feel so sad for those who have been so devistated. A friend of mine's daughter has her daughter and family staying with her who lived in Galveston. Luckily, somehow her house wa spared. However, they are not letting any or may onto the Island and there are little if any services to all. Those who stayed ( I shutter to think about it). I would never have stayed or have lived so clase to the ocean in the first place.) However, that was all their decisions and the place where they all chose to live.

It touches me deeply to know you both cared to think of me during this scary and terrible time. More later on.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Glad to see you're back, Marilyn.

Is the fallen tree on your property or your neighbors?

No electricity would not have been a hardship for our grandparents, but it is today. Course there are a few things that still run w/o your tap shoes.

Try not to overdo w/ all the cleanup.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm also GLAD to hear that your OK!,,,,Being without power is no fun at all!,,,,,a horrible storm!,,,,HUgs!,,,,,Sis
  6. Granniluvsu

Have to go clean out the cooler and lots of other stuff. DH just went shopping to stuff we can now refrigerate. HOORAY !!

Sorry you all had to worry so. Just remember that I love you ALL. Goitta run. Oh my aching body !

7. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I did respond to you on the Porch, however, I just wanted you to know again, YOU WERE VERY MISSED AND WORRIED US TO DEATH. DONT EVER DO THAT AGAIN OR I WILL SEND YOU TO YOUR ROOM!!!!

LOL - You would probably like that punishment anyway, I know I would.

Really, thank God you are okay. We all prayed for all of you in the path of the hurricane and whoever was affected by it.

God is good.

Love you Granni!!!

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I lived in Houston during Alicia. Even though we had plenty of warning to tape windows, get in plenty of food, water, etc., we were without electricity for 8 days. I remember that school started late. I was teaching in the Spring Branch District at the time.

One of my daughter's first memories was peeking out of our bedroom where we all stayed, seeing me with a tray for breakfast on the other end of our hallway seperated by patio doors and the glass bowing slightly inward. I had run into the kitchen with a blanket over myself. Scary.

I also remember the smell of mildew as we could not open most of our windows. Some people I knew did not have any windows that could open.

None of our family was able to call down as the phone lines were tied up and they could see on TV all the damage in downtown Houston.

Don't you live somewhere North of HOuston?

We lived in Bear Creek during the hurricane and then moved to Spring. We lived there for around three years before moving back to the midwest.

I am still trying to remember what school I taught at. I will have to open the box with some memorbelia that I have been meaning to do since I moved last November or look on line.

Take care and let's hope that is the last hurricane for a long time in the future!!

9. Granniluvsu

Where did you live in Spring Branch? I f you remembered where exactly you lived or the street maybe I could guess). Was it elememtary or high school ?

My son lives not to far from the Bear Creek area now. Just finished alot of cleaniup inside and out (the damage was outside but refrig and freezer cleaning, wash, etc.) Sounds like fun doesn't it LOL !!

You have got me wondering about the school. If it was in the Bear Creek area I do not know it but ado know the schools around the Gessner/Spring Branch area schools - Hammerly, Kempwood, etc. area.

I am just "to pooped to participate" in much of anything tonight. To much cleaning up etc. Hope all is well with you. Drop a line when you can.

10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I'm SO GLAD you are safe and that your electricity and A/C are back on (FINALLY). Bless your heart for having to go without them for so long.

I hope you are able to get some much deserved rest and enjoy some good food as things get back to at least semi-normal. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Love, Erika
  11. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Been worrying about you all so much.

I hope the damage gets fixed soon.

Take care of yourselves - things will sort themselves out in time.

Gentle hugs,

Bunchy x
  12. Granniluvsu

Sorry, but you were on the other FM board where I first posted. I am so sorry to hear of your damage. Tht is awful.

Yes we are all lucky if we are still here in one piece. Drop a line when you can.

We are bausy with our clean up efforts also. What a pain !!

Hugs and blessings,

13. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hey you glad to hear you are okay! Hope you get things back in order soon.
    It didn't make news, but Ohio even got hit with Ike...left seven dead, millions w/o power and thousands of downed trees, damage etc on Sunday the 14th. 84 out of 88 counties were affected...that's big, huh!

I was only w/o power for a few days but many are still waiting for electricity, water and businesses/schools to open. I know this was NOTHING compared to what happened in Texas, but we had peak winds at 86mps, not much rain in our area. They said this was most likely a once in a lifetime phenomenon for a hurricane to pick up winds this far north. We had no warning either, just expecting heavy rains...

I lost some siding on one side of my house, one small tree and lots of cleanup, food and that is nothing...
    My heart goes out to you all!!
  14. Granniluvsu

Wow, I cannot believe that you got so much damage, etc., so far north. So sorry to hear about the damage to your house (siding) and your trees. I know all about the tree damage. We had quite a bit and a 400 yr old tree came down from our neighbors property. Luckiiy, it did not come down on anything much but did damage parts of our sprinkler system. Sorry if I already mentioned that. We are blessed for the little bit we did get. Some just lost everything buy the coast, as you probably know.

Hope the people in your area will get their power on soon. There are quite a few in Houston and still in our area who do not have power too.

Blessings and hugs,

15. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

My heart goes out to all of you who were in Ike's path.

What incredible weather patterns we're going thru. I'll almost welcome winter (although not with open arms), because it will end the hurricane/tornado/flooding issues so many have had to deal with.

Sending you gentle hugs and much support,
  16. Granniluvsu

Just wanted to tell you All again how much I, and I am sure others, appreciate you all adding to this thread. I was originally trying to find MARTI Z and hope she is OK and just doesn't just have power. However, that is definately not fun either. I appreciate you all so much. Your thoughts and orayers and kind words have been so helpful at this time. We (and others like Cindy) are so lucky they have not had it SOOO much worse.

Those of you taking the time to write, I and others I am sure going through this appreciate your thoughts and prayers also - Rock, Linda, Bdtmu516, Mickey, Elaine, Erika, Grammy27, Sis, Julie, Nancy and Sweetie.

Cindy - again so sorry to hear about your damage to your home. Still can't believe it caused so many problems in OHIO. Hope things get better for you and your area soon.

Gapsych - Yes, I do live in North of Houston , West of Conroe. That d - - - storm came right up 1-45 it looks like. Did you teach in elementary , Jr. High or H.S.? If you tell me that maybe I can think of the name of the school since all my kids went to schools there in Spring Branch.

Feel free if anyone else still wants to vent or share their Hurricane stories.

I love you all !

17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That was a horrible storm. There are people without power in Ohio, yes Ohio, who are without electricity from Hurricane Ike. Unbelieveable!

Love, Mikie
  18. Granniluvsu

Spring is south of where I live which is west of Conroe. You keep on going North on I-45 and you will hit Conroe. Hope you didn't have any damage. I klnow how scary it is wven if you do not have any damage. Thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers. I am sure they helped me. Hope they helped others too. There was just so much damage especially in Galveston. Still cannot believe that there was damage all the way up to OHIO. It is a good thing IKE was not a CAT 5 !!!

Mikie - Thanks also for posting.. I think I forgot to post thanks to you and LINDA too.

Hope I didn't forget anyone else. As my mom used to say - my brain is like a seive.

Thanks for posting and lots of hugs to you and all !!