Hurricane Isaac !!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Does anyone live in that area? Oh my, it looks terrible and is so slow moving that the water is going to really pile up as well as no electricity and very heavy wind.

My DGD is in Alabama in the university. Hope there is no problem there. Possibily not since they are not near the post. The only good thing about this Hurricane is it should help the areas that are in such a drought now.

I've been looking at pictures on TV as well as on the computer. It is bad enough. We do not need a cat 2. At least Houston area and north did not get anything this time - IKE was bad enough. WHEW !!

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is just like watching Katrina sitting out in the Gulf grinding away before coming ashore. At least, this time, the storm isn't as strong (though, it's strong enough) and the levies have been "fixed." My thoughts and prayers are with all in harm's way.

We dodged a bullet here on the West Coast of FL. The worst outer bands of wind and rain were over on the East Coast. Surge was much less here too. Today, it's sunny out but very hot and humid. Still, I shouldn't whine because we are very, very lucky.

Two more storms are coming off of West Africa but both are expected to turn north out in the Atlantic. Every time a storm causes damage, some of the insurance companies stop insuring in FL and the ones who stay increase our premiums and/or deductibles. The deductible on our 8-unit condo bldg. for hurricanes is $35,000. Yikes!

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So glad that the storm missed you, or at least the worst part. When Katrina came we in TX even got some of it. That is how big it was. Thank God they fixed the levees after Katrina. That was a real mess. IKE was a real disaster for us or parts of our area.

I hope it passes quickly and passes on the rest of the rain to all the states that need it- like where Jole lives I believe , and many others.

I know we will be watching those two storms that are starting to brew off W Africa too. My husband is especially watchful about any storms brewing. Only a few more weeks or so I think, till the end of the Hurricane season (or so they say). IKE came in Sept., the first or second week, I think. That was a real scarey one and knocked down the huge 400 year old oak tree on our neighbors property. Luckily, it fell on the golf course and not on either of our houses.

God bless all that are in the path of Issac and may it help many of areas needing RAIN !!! I know how it feels to be so dry. The year before we were like that and we were SO DRY !!! There were wild fires all around in TX and some in our area too.

Love to all,

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My kids, who live in CO, have a house in Galveston. They rent out the house and stay in the downstairs apt. when they visit. The basement flooded and my daughter had to go down and replace all the flooring and drywall. AACK!

I keep myself involved watching the storms because they may hit us but I also am fascinated by the steering mechanisms and the factors which contribute to the formation of hurricanes. After all these years down here, I've gotten pretty good at understanding these things. To think that when I moved here, I didn't even know what surge is.

I also hope that drought areas get rain. We got quite a bit but nothing like the other coast. Now, it's supposed to be dry for the next five days.

Take care.

Love, Mikie
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I don't know what surge is either, Mikie. Didn't they used to use it for
    mens' blue suits? When I was a kid the Mississippi flooded almost every Spring.
    My father always said, "Why don't those people move? They get flooded
    every year?"

Probably the same reasons that folks in CA don't move away from earthquakes.

If I were younger and healthier I'd move back to the Midwest. Of course the
    big risk there is tornadoes. My brother lives in a village that was destroyed
    by a tornado a century ago.

Used to know folks from Eugene, OR. They always claimed folks there were at
    risk for no bad weather and no natural disasters. I have never investigated
    that claim.

Anyhoo, it sounds like things are much better this trip around and the new
    levies are doing the job.

On a lighter note, did you see the news about the lady who was in the
    search party looking for herself? Gordon and I went on a bus trip of New
    England a couple decades ago. Nodobby got lost. Or even pseudo-lost.