Hurricane victims with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ferdie, Aug 31, 2005.

1. ferdie

ferdie New Member

I have posted a few times here and I read the posts everyday. Just had to comment today.
    But I was just thinking how devasting it would be on top of everything else for these poor people but have to endure all of it with FM. Can you imagine being in the superdome, or walking around no where to go... Oh My
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I've been thinking not only of the people down South with FMS, but anyone with medical problems. There are people with diabetes who need insulin. I heard of a man who had lung cancer and was on oxygen. When the power went out and they lost their home, he died without the oxygen.

As much as we suffer with FMS and other health problems, we do have much to be grateful for.

Ellen
  3. ferdie

ferdie New Member

I have a brother in law that lives in Gautier Mississippi and think is the spelling, its pronounced GO-SHAY, we have not heard from him . My body aches just thinking about it.Its all so sad..
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which this is because it will affect us all if it hasn't already, our drugs may not be available. I suggest everyone have an emergency stash just in case drugs cannot be delivered. Some drugs are dangerous to go off of cold turkey.

It would be bad enough to have to endure the conditions there, but if one had no meds, it would be many levels worse.

I live in hurricane country and I keep my papers in a plastic bag and my meds where I can get to them. If I see a storm brewing and gaining strength, I'll leave days ahead of time. One cannot always do this. Charley took us by surprise. Some who left the Tampa area were hit when Charley turned inward. The poor people in NO had no chance to get out due to poverty and lack of adequate communication and preparation.

People should have been evacuated days before on busses. I hope this teaches us a lesson in taking preventive steps and not waiting and leaving people to fend for themselves. We are woefully unprepared for emergencies here, including terrorist attacks.

What is happening in NO need not have happened. Other cities, which are less vulnerable than NO, had mandatory evacuation and, while the towns were destroyed, there was not the loss of life and hopelessness we are seeing in NO.

My heart is breaking for them. I do not understand why water, at least, cannot be lowered by helicoptors to the crowds. Some of those people are dying from dehydration; they have had no water or food for days.

Love, Mikie
  5. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

How true. It must be so horrendous to have lost everything, living in uncomfortable, unsanatary surroundings and be suffering from FM, CFS, MS, be a diabetic, have a heart condition and so many other deblitating illnesses. I can not imagine what they are going through. It is so so tragic and hearbreaking. I have cried seeing the desperation on the faces of the people in New Orleans.

Mikie, I agree with you. I can not understand why after 4 days these people have not been supplied with food and water!!! If they can't be reached by land, what are the helicopters for besides plucking people off of roof tops? They could drop water and food rations as they did in Afghanistan, remember? Why hasn't it been done? It makes no sense to me.

I pray God will help these poor souls as soon as possible before more die needlessly.

Hugs,
    Francey
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2005]
  6. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

I am still confused as why they are even bothering with the looters. Police should be helping get people out. Let the looters take what they want. It will be destroyed anyway. Looting is the only way some of those people are getting clean clothes and shoes. Esppecially for hte kids. You can bet that if I were down there with my young kids, I would be looting to get them things to keep them dry and clean.

Misty
  7. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I heard someone last night on the new's talking about, how stupid it was to take the Police off of rescue work , to go and control the looters.
    The photos I saw were mostly of people carrying Supplies, and pershiables, and the comentator was saying that, the charitable thing to do was to let them have it.

The Insurance, is going to be out of sight as it is, why waste, things that people really need.
    Even the Radios, can be used to get Raido stations to help folks find out where to go, they run on batteries.

I think the Greedy people, yeah, if they could be signled out, get them, but I was so mad, when I saw a clip showing a Cop, making a "Looter" drop the Groceries he was carrying, and it fell on the dirty, muddy ground, now that Really made sense to me. Grr!

I was thinking last night, how Blessed I was, laying there on my soft bed, with my Babydog, safe beside me, my DH in the other room watching the New's. Like someone said, we have a roof over our head, food and water, and we are comfortable.
    I thought, my Gosh what would I do, in a situation like that?
    Since I can't hold on to anything, because I have no upper strength, due to Cervial, Spine, and a Right ar, with limited motion, I would be one that would be lost.

It sure Breaks my Heart to see, this, it's so unreal, and yet, It's happening.

I live in Earth Quake country, and my Family has a ER Plan of action, we live close enough to get to each other, if necessay.
    Plus supplies, and Food, that can be eaten cold.
    I just Pray we never have to use it.

I have some Classmates, that live down there, that we still haven't heard from, but we do know, and try to keep in mind, that it could be weeks, before we really know anything.
    SO glad we had the Reunions, that we did, and had to chance to visit, at least one more time, (for some of us it was,)

Adding my Prayers to Everyone else's, and thanks for letting me Gab on, been, holding it in. ya know.

Hug's,
    sharonk
  8. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

I was watching the news too and there seem to be a lot of diabeties (sp) patients there that are with out medical treatment. Then I thought the same thing........with FM, I have no clue what we would do. Just get the heck out of there.

I know here in CA, we heard days before it hit, they were warned to totally evacuate, but a lot didn't and all I can guess is they didn't know where to go or didn't think it was going to be that bad.
    If I heard days before to evacuate, I would have done that because of my children, husband and medical situations. Who knows. It seems pretty chaotic there :(

It is just a sad situation!